PDA

View Full Version : Guns that get my attention make me feel strange

breg
02-15-2004, 05:11 AM
It's another late night at work, and I began to think about the guns I've seen at fields that made me go, "Dude, you have to let me put a few rounds through that."
When I first got into paintball, it was the really high end stuff that made me go nuts. But now, it's the things that you don't see very often out here. Since I have been playing, I've seen two of WGP's Sniper series of paintball guns and about lost it over both. They were nothing special; they both ahd the ubiquitous old school WGP black color, but those caught my eye. Which makes me feel strange. And, honestly right now, if I was offered a VSC Phantom or a Timmy, I think I would take the Phantom. I'm not trying to be a kiss up here, but it's just wierd. Maybe, I like those because it's not something that everyone sees at the filed every day, or I just think they look cooler (VSC Phantoms are among the coolest looking guns out there).
So, I guess I would like to hear what made you stand up and take notice at the field. Maybe I'm not alone in finding all of the newer stuff cool, but not nearly as cool as the older stuff.

Brophog
02-15-2004, 05:15 AM
Doesn't seem strange. Before, the high end guns probably were out of the ordinary.

Now, there's so many high end markers, that its the pump markers that are out of the ordinary. IMO, they're prettier too.:D :D

breg
02-15-2004, 05:38 AM
Yeah, that could be it.
I'm not trying to say anything bad about any paintmarker, just trying to say what catches my eye.

AGD
02-15-2004, 05:49 AM
Not surprising, at this point in time there are a TON of high end flashy markers out there but old school is rare and unique. If you don't want to be part of the heard mentality its one of the better options.

AGD

GT
02-15-2004, 06:20 AM
i was at pbmaxx last weekend. I about flipped my lid when this guy walks in with an org. sniper serial was 714. converted to a semi but it was still awsome!

poolshark5226
02-15-2004, 11:53 AM
last time I was at the field (far too long ago:mad: )a guy had an old school Splatmaster pistol...I was amazed. Heavy pull but i liked it a lot

Xan
02-15-2004, 06:42 PM
I feel the same way and it seems like others I'm around do too. I look at players at the field with brand new shiney markers splashed 50 different colors, I'm like "that's nice", but inside I'm thinking "nothing special, it's been done before."

But when someone comes to the field with an old phantom, I'm like "sweet! Can I try it?" Just something about the simple and "used" feeling of those markers excites me.

My pre-1995 68Automag has drawn some attention as well. I have been asked "Is that a 'real' gun," and they can't help but stare. That's why I bought/fixed/polished it, to have something different that has my blood, sweat, and tears in it. Not some overpriced super-top-end fancy looking clone.

Sorry about the rant, have no problems with other markers, just prefer my antique. (Seriously, can a marker become an antique? Does it have to be like 25 yrs old or something?)

Havoc_online
02-15-2004, 07:00 PM
I was expecting to read something like

"I begin to feel funny in my pants and now I'm growing hair in strange places"

:p :o :p

xXHavokXx
02-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Bah high end flashy guns are more fun.

But im currently in possession of sniper number 650, its nice and simple, i like it. Except its rusted together and ive snapped 5 hex wrenches off in it

AGD
02-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Original Snipers under 1000 serial number bring about a grand in CA. Under 100 they are priceless. (I have 69 and 88):)

AGD

Ov3rmind
02-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I saw some guy with one of those ICD Desert Foxes and thought, "Whoa, I never expected to see that gun (ever... In my entire life)." To top it off, he was using a warp feed.

Here's a pic I dug up of one; the ill fated ICD blow forward:

http://neondawg.com/paintball/uploads/dsc01842.jpg

The owner of one of my local fields also had some of the really old Tippmanns (don't remember their specific names) that were fed with clips. In addition to that, he had an old video advertisement that Tippmann made for them. Another gun that sparked my interest was one of those AMP Illusion Pumps.

nuclear zombie
02-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Your starting the evolution of a recplayer , you realize that you may not want to devote your entire paintball time if any to tourney-ball . It often leads people to explore the sport often to a pump marker , or a classic palmers it give you a connection to the beginnings of paintball . It reminds you what it was like when people played for the fun and not the glory . Which is why my next marker will be a KP-2 , converted to a hurricane.

xXHavokXx
02-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Damn so number 650 could get someone alot of cash, i wish i owned it.

Carbon
02-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by breg
It's another late night at work, and I began to think about the guns I've seen at fields that made me go, "Dude, you have to let me put a few rounds through that."
When I first got into paintball, it was the really high end stuff that made me go nuts. But now, it's the things that you don't see very often out here. Since I have been playing, I've seen two of WGP's Sniper series of paintball guns and about lost it over both. They were nothing special; they both ahd the ubiquitous old school WGP black color, but those caught my eye. Which makes me feel strange. And, honestly right now, if I was offered a VSC Phantom or a Timmy, I think I would take the Phantom. I'm not trying to be a kiss up here, but it's just wierd. Maybe, I like those because it's not something that everyone sees at the filed every day, or I just think they look cooler (VSC Phantoms are among the coolest looking guns out there).
So, I guess I would like to hear what made you stand up and take notice at the field. Maybe I'm not alone in finding all of the newer stuff cool, but not nearly as cool as the older stuff.

Im inclined to agree. once ya see or shoot a +$1000, they all kinda seem passe. Other than the stickers people put on em, they really dont have what i consider "chracter". Ill catch a blazer, phoon or a sterling and im all googly eyed. Ive yet to see a converted pumpgun with an old-skool autococking kit on.

ASDadam
02-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Yep, i agree whole heartedly. Thats why i still play with my Rapide, Rapide Comp, PGP and my VM68EXC. Their old, but still bring alot of attention when i play with them beacuse most people haven't ever seen them before, yet they've seen just about every Angel, cocker, and trix you could throw at them.

Ov3rmind
02-15-2004, 11:55 PM
You know what, aside from Spyders, I'm usually excited to see just about any new gun for the first time (whether they are flashy electropenumatics, or simpley antiques).

breg
02-16-2004, 12:33 AM
Evolution of a recplayer.

I guess that is a strange sounding thing. I love speed ball, but I guess that my roots are in the woods. That and like I said before, these high end guns look like carbon copies of one another. If you have seen one Timmie, you have seen them all, and they all basically preform the same. I mean c'mon is there that much of a difference between 18 bps and 23 bps in the middle of a game? Is it more of an accomplishment to attain 20+ bps in a tourney or to use that old school marker and do well against the tourney guys?

I guess my main gripe is that you see less and less things that make guns interesting. Yeah, I'll admit that they look cool, and some really nice; but I just don't see them as interesting. It's like standing in a parking lot and watching some guy ride up in a new Mustang, and then seeing a guy roll up in an old Shelby Mustang. Now which one is going to make you walk over and take notice?

And, I'm not saying anything bad about any gun. So, don't flame me saying that I pick on the high-ended guns, I'm not. In fact I hope to buy an X-Mag with my re-enlistment bonus. But, before that I'm thinking of a VSC phantom or a verticle feed PPS Blazer (I love the look of the Blazer)

Koosh
02-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by AGD
Original Snipers under 1000 serial number bring about a grand in CA. Under 100 they are priceless. (I have 69 and 88)

AGD

WOW!!!

A guy I play with found an original Sniper I at a pawnshop... paid $50 for it...

He brought it by the WGP booth at the last D-Day, they straight up traded him a 03 vert feed for it. I thought it was a great deal, now just wait until I tell him what he COULD have got for it ;) (I don't remember what the serial number was, just that it was really low)

Crimson_Turkey
02-16-2004, 01:38 AM
I love to have a gun that is different. Hell, when I get the cash to start this project the no battery pack, space frame, x-ma will be different too. Id give it a good 3-4 month before I get around to doing that though. I have a gun to market first, and a tank design that should absolutely blow anything out there away by a long shot.

Anyway, I would kill for a SMG-68. I was even thinking of having a run made if I could get some people together.

Carbon
02-16-2004, 01:49 AM
Maybe we have just gone "full circle" and the notion "no best gun" comes into mind. True ballers!

islandboi
02-16-2004, 02:51 AM
i wish someone would bring something special around my field we have alot of pumpers and i have to admit something just so fun about a pump.. i wish i could see a blazer every now and then

Gabriel
02-16-2004, 04:00 AM
I agree totally. I love it when people start to notice this as well. I am currently aquiring a mini-cocker, because about a year ago I saw one at my 'local' (1 1/2 hour drive away) field and thought it was soooooo cool. I mean an original mini cocker, before all of this cnc stuff. Although later I might mill it *hehe*, but before hand I would buy another body to kkeep the 'sleeper' principle in tact. That is my favorite style of all time. Sleeper. no flashy anything, just pure power. Like back in the 50's when people had enough money to either make a car look good, or make a car go fast, but not both. which do you think I would do? :D

Gabe

P.S. Not that I am old enough to remember the 50's. Or the 60's or 70's or 80's. just to let yall know.

nato
02-16-2004, 04:20 AM
Before I leave this earth I would love to test out one of those ATS-85's. Ive always thought of those as very interesting and innovative. I thought this since the 1st day I layed my eyes upon the marker and even still to this day consider their design as a curiously strong marker. Other than that... probably one of those gatling gun paintball markers that tippmann makes :) ...Oh, I would need a dune buggy too ;)

N.A.T.O.

badinfo
02-16-2004, 04:50 AM
Come on down to NC and Ill let ya shoot my AT4, nato ;)

nato
02-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Haha, I am probably doing a road trip this summer down to SC with some friends... may have to stop by ;)

N.A.T.O.

fallout11
02-17-2004, 11:34 AM
My AT-4 draws SOOOOooooo much attention.
Unfortunately, most think it is some type of armotech gun.....

All too often I end up giving a "demonstration" or pointing out its salient features instead of tending to business (like buying paint or getting air).

nato
02-17-2004, 06:11 PM
HAHA, nice... very understandable

N.A.T.O.