PDA

View Full Version : Sick of cheaters? Do something about it!

Smakman
02-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Join the NRIPA! (http://www.smakzone.com/NRIPA.html) It works!

shartley
02-15-2004, 09:13 AM
I personally do not see it as a good thing to do ANY reffing (in an official manner) while actually playing.

I understand the principle behind it, but disagree with its being used. I think it takes away from the effectiveness of both PLAYING and Officiating. There are reasons why other sports don’t have the actual participants being the Refs.

I will however state that I think all players should do what they can to help eliminate cheating… but to be “official” undercover refs while playing, trying to enforce the rules for BOTH teams is problematic at best and I would not want those types of “refs” on any field I am playing on. No matter how “reputable” or “honest” the player is, the mere appearance of bias or potential bias is too great. I think it would cause more problems than it would solve…. More so for players that do NOT know these “undercover refs”.

I am all for an official Paintball Referee organization much like they have “patching” for Soccer Refs, but not for something that has actual players (in play) doing the referee duties.

Gabriel
02-15-2004, 09:43 AM
I agree with shartley

Glickman
02-15-2004, 10:48 AM
amen to that, its pretty sad when u see well known tourny playing teams, who have been known to cheat, getting caught on their own video tape, *cough* deadly venom *cough*

Smakman
02-15-2004, 11:47 AM
It's not for speedball or tourneys.

NJPaint
02-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Why don't they just make the consequences for cheating so drastic that people won't do it. Make them so that captains will tell their teams "don't cheat or even if you don't get caught, I'll kick you out".

Something like missing an entire season or a $1000 fine etc.

Butterfingers
02-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Im up for using OC pepperballs... Most people dont agree with me though... :D

shartley
02-15-2004, 12:20 PM
You could issue each player one of those dog collars that they use to train dogs not to bark (but with a little “Home Improvement” work done to it :D)….. I think we can all guess where this is going……… ;)

Butterfingers
02-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Sereously... We need more refs and since everything is electronic we need a paintgun immobilizer device. So a ref can just turn off any markers that arent supposed to be active.

Jack & Coke
02-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Just allow the refs to carry their marks on the field. If they see someone cheating, they get to shoot them!

Muhahahaha!;)

FlameboyC11
02-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Wow, DO NOT SIGN UP!!! They leave all member info exposed to the internet. House address, phone # and e-mail addy, very bad idea.

Smakman
02-15-2004, 08:58 PM
All I can tell you is that it works. I have been doing it for two years now. The only complaints I have had have been from known problem players and they have either shaped up, or not come back. Either way is fine with me. If you don't want all your info on the roster, just put up your email address.

Lohman446
02-15-2004, 09:10 PM
We have never used anything but informal refs (on rec days) at the field I play at, switching out, it keeps costs down to play. Lots of fun, we depend on honesty, and there are enough experienced players to make it work. It is expected, when you are elminated in speedball, that you will then work as ref, put your gone against the net and play ref.

RT pRo AuToMaG
02-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Butterfingers
Im up for using OC pepperballs... Most people dont agree with me though... :D

lol, but that could hurt if you chopped or had a barrel break. I also don't think the refs would be too happy if they got lit up :D

Smakman
02-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Ok, I have put a note on the membership form so that applicants know that all information they enter will appear in their profile. Anyone who wants some of their information taken out can let me know and I will remove as much as they want.

FlameboyC11
02-16-2004, 08:37 PM
At least someone who is responsible is behind the website :D, good plan!

Smakman
02-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Well, I try.

Jeffy-CanCon
02-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by shartley
I personally do not see it as a good thing to do ANY reffing (in an official manner) while actually playing.

I understand the principle behind it, but disagree with its being used. I think it takes away from the effectiveness of both PLAYING and Officiating. There are reasons why other sports don’t have the actual participants being the Refs.

I will however state that I think all players should do what they can to help eliminate cheating… but to be “official” undercover refs while playing, trying to enforce the rules for BOTH teams is problematic at best and I would not want those types of “refs” on any field I am playing on. No matter how “reputable” or “honest” the player is, the mere appearance of bias or potential bias is too great. I think it would cause more problems than it would solve…. More so for players that do NOT know these “undercover refs”.

I respect your opinion, but I have experienced player-refs at some Big Games, and it generally works out well. The key is that the players have to respect the field owner, and know that he will only use the best people in that role.

At least one other sport uses player-refs: Ultimate (frisbee). But they expect all players to do it, and call their own fouls and such. The rules are written in such a way as to allow fast and fair resolution in the event of a disagreement.

I am all for an official Paintball Referee organization much like they have “patching” for Soccer Refs, but not for something that has actual players (in play) doing the referee duties.

Agreed, an official refereeing organization is the best we can hope for.

SlartyBartFast
02-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Jeffy-CanCon
Agreed, an official refereeing organization is the best we can hope for.

And a good start would be better written, clearly organised rules.

I started a thread but got little interest from anyone wanting to participate.

Smakman
02-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Rules at the individual host field will apply and it is up to the Refs-In-Play to know them. Couple that with making it clearly known that safety violations and cheating WILL be delt with and making sure that the bulk of the players believe it (usually requiring an example or two). Most cheaters will only cheat when they think it is safe to do so, meaning they won't get caught, and most safety violations occur when someone is just not thinking and a curt reminder can make the difference.