PDA

View Full Version : AGD hopper

jtoothman25
02-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Mr. Kaye,
Please make a hopper. Everything else out there is crap. I "used" an evlutionII until today. The shell broke, the lid broke, and the battery door. Oh, and it wouldnt feed constantly with 9.21 volt batteries.

ZSigErik
02-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Motion Seconded

Branchvillian
02-15-2004, 10:42 PM
At least I coulod be sure it would be quality.

-=Squid=-
02-15-2004, 10:47 PM
They should just integrate a sleek, fast feeding hopper into the warpfeed.

jayloo
02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
I third that motion. AGD would only make a quality loader ... 15 - 20 at a time.:p

Big_Chops
02-15-2004, 10:53 PM
i also agree with that.:D i would love to see a quality hopper on the market.

felony
02-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
They should just integrate a sleek, fast feeding hopper into the warpfeed.

brilliant idea.

if i had cash flowing i would buy one in an instant.

Almost like the tippmann cyclone feed. avoid something real bulky, and it just lower it some. A whole new system that feeds on and angle and what not.

Hoppers are like 6" off markers now? never really measured it. Take like 4" from there. and you are good to go.

I guess that is the point of the q-loader though. and that does look promising.

dan

p8ntball1016
02-15-2004, 11:15 PM
you must build hoppers!

personman
02-15-2004, 11:18 PM
I agree. We have these wonderful amazingly fast guns on the market right now, that can go what, 30 cps, and *most* of them are reliable, and then look at our hoppers. We got the good ol' revy, you cant go wrong with that, no problems except an occasional shell crack, and its slow. Then you have the HALO, which is amazingly heavy (go ahead and say I have girly arms, I already know that.) and jams often and has like 10000 batteries. Then you have the Eggy2, which is ugly, unbalenced, and has alot of horror stories out there about cracking shells and lids ect.
Then there is the Apache, which looks promising. I havent tried one though, and dont plan on it. (due to the fact that the warp-rev combo is the best IMO)
The Q Loader, even though the prices have gone down still, the price for a pod is like $25.. Thats really expensive. Not to mention the limited carrying capacity.
And then you have the warp feed and revy combo, which, IMO is the best option out there right now. You get speed, low profile, and reliability all at once. Cant go wrong with it.
However then some people start whining about how the warp is heavy and bulky, and obviousally they have never picked one up before.

Anyway, my point is, AGD could get some publicity if they could create a loader that could top the HALO in speed, and the revy in reliability. Ah, and it would have to look good too :)

Just add hype. :)

felony
02-15-2004, 11:27 PM
q-loader just look likes a pain to me for loading.

When you are in a a tournament or just have a field that has quick turnaround games, you dont wanna spend every second off the field filling up pods. i guess you could get extra pods to fill so you can be ready. btu that will cost ya 25 bucks :]

looks like a great idea, just espensive

somthing else should be done

dan

GT
02-15-2004, 11:30 PM
paint flo'n backpack!

Crimson_Turkey
02-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Actually if they used belt that would bend sideways like the conveyor belts at an airport on the baggage claim you could have that running along the front of a hopper. This way the warp feed would be more economical, and wouldnt have to feed throught a small tube via a normal hopper. You could have a slot that opens to the warp belt about 4-5 paintballs long. This way you would have a complete warp system, completely free from the hassles of non-AGD products.

mbyankee10
02-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Search i think he discussed some patent issues

funkmunky56
02-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Tom Kaye's got enough crap to think about. Leave him alone. :D --Dave

S.S Bandit1
02-15-2004, 11:57 PM
my xmag would be truly complete if agd made a hopper to go with all the other agd parts on it...

toms a busy man though, so i dont think its all that necessary

Cilio - Knightmare Tango
02-15-2004, 11:58 PM
The quality of the current hoppers that are available is poor. Would be happy if anyone came up with a durable, quality hopper.

Paintball_4_Fun
02-16-2004, 12:03 AM
I would buy one.

jtoothman25
02-16-2004, 12:09 AM
But, would you pay what its worth to engineer that? It'd have to be pretty spendy. Halo's have gone down in price since they were introduced because they've sold so many. I'm going to try the apache next paycheck if it gets good reviews. I hear the thing chews up some paint.. but we'll see.

Wes Janson
02-16-2004, 02:28 AM
Tom hasn't replied!

Ergo!

Tom is secretly planning to make a hopper! Wheee!!! ;D

the_next_guy_
02-16-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by personman
Just add hype. :)
Noooooo, no hype can ever be associated with an AGD product!:D Tom is being pretttttttttty quiet:p

tg ur 1t
02-16-2004, 03:10 AM
if it were possibly to add an aggitated top to the warp and tube feed it out (just like it currently is). Put a lid on the top for filling and presto... 2 items become 1 and AGD builds and tests it. It is the same as putting the hopper on the warp, except it incorperates the hopper and the warp into one piece. I am sure somebody at AGD has had this thought already and there is a reason why it hasn't been done.

nato
02-16-2004, 04:31 AM
Do what everyone on AO is doing to SmartParts and just boycott the hoppers! If you do that then they will HAVE to listen to you! I'm inspired to make the paintball world a better place by NOT playing with a hopper.

N.A.T.O.

P.S.- Revolutionary War reinactment videos on re-loading... HERE I COME!

p.p.s.- Cheezy? Yes. I dont think that AGD should have to make the hoppers... they do enough as is. But I do think that the next big improvment will be the hopper. Im expecting quality to rise up. Competition is what has driven paintball into the technological zestyness that we now know today. Companies will not be able to get away with "downgrading" their products if other companies are making their product better. Money speaks boys.

jtoothman25
02-16-2004, 04:41 AM
People all brag about 50 balls per second or whatever, but what they need is something to feed it. I think everyone agrees that the Qloader isnt the answer. I'm torn between a halo or an Apache

personman
02-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by the_next_guy_

Noooooo, no hype can ever be associated with an AGD product!:D Tom is being pretttttttttty quiet:p
Meh, face it. If AGD creates a hopper and doesnt hype things up, its not gonna sell. If he just hypes it up a little and advertises it a little and its a quality hopper, I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes. ;)

50 cal
02-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Ever hear of "planned obsolesence"? They loader makers know what they are doing. Make it just sturdy enough to last a year or so of moderate to heavy use and *pow* it breaks. You have to go buy a new one. It keeps them in the market.

If someone would make a loader that really lasted, the other companies would have to also. Then after so many are made they all would have to go out of business. It's the same in the car industry. Why do you think the car industry fights the electric's so much. An electric would last a lifetime, putting them out of business in no time.

So, a really durable loader won't be produced. Ther are plenty of plastics that would handle the abuse paintballers could toss at it, but the market is to small for the big boy plastics companies to get into it.

Oh_Davey
02-16-2004, 11:27 AM
If you want a better shell couldn't someone with plastic moulding stuff make a mold of what ever shell you want with better plastic and then sell them? it prolly not that simple but i can dream.

felony
02-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Oh_Davey
If you want a better shell couldn't someone with plastic moulding stuff make a mold of what ever shell you want with better plastic and then sell them? it prolly not that simple but i can dream.

not too bad of an idea actually. I am not sure how BE or Oddessy would like that, but that is noot that bad of an idea.

dan

Dryden
02-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by felony
not too bad of an idea actually. I am not sure how BE or Oddessy would like that, but that is not that bad of an idea.I don't know that BE or Oddessy could do anything about it, provided the manufacturer of a compatible hopper was:

[1] using authentic internals
[2] not mimicking the shape or form of the original shell (such as the egg shape or the 'bend' in the traditional VL shapes) in an attempt to confuse customers.

I think this is a brilliant idea. The companies who make these hoppers need some competition to keep them honest.

50 cal
02-16-2004, 12:33 PM
You still get into the market share aspect of it. Is it profitable for someone to make a mold at $8-10k ? Molds aren't easy or cheap to make, we use them in the firearms business and they aren't cheap at all.

If you tried to make a mold as an aftermarket item, you would probably get your tailend sued off for some sort of infringement.

Revvy's and the like are cheap because of the grade plastic used. If you wanted some sort of really durable loader, you would end up paying Halo prices for a glorified Rev. The cost will be passed onto the consumer, us.

I would love a hard shelled Rev or Egg2. I've broken my share of 'em. Just don't look for someone to take the plunge and produce them.

Wes Janson
02-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Ever hear of "planned obsolesence"? They loader makers know what they are doing. Make it just sturdy enough to last a year or so of moderate to heavy use and *pow* it breaks. You have to go buy a new one. It keeps them in the market.
Ahhh, so that's why AGD is going broke! They forgot to read that page of the manual to selling markers, and so their guns aren't breaking after a year! ;D

luke
02-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Tom owns a patent on a hopper, he said he would likly never build it. :(

jtoothman25
02-16-2004, 03:00 PM
What are the patents?

AGD
02-16-2004, 03:15 PM
You guys just dont get it. Its all about PATENTS!!!! PATENTS, PATENTS, PATENTS!!!!! SP has proved that whoever owns the patents owns the market and too many of you just don't care.

READ MY LIPS--- AGD WILL NEVER MAKE A HOPPER BECAUSE TWO MAJOR COMPANIES IN THE INDUSTRY ALREADY OWN ALL THE HOPPER PATENTS.

The players have made it clear that lawsuits over patents are "just the way you do business". Most players don't know or don't care because they don't think it will change anything. Maybe it doesn't change whats out there now but it will for sure change what does or doesn't happen in the future. So here is your first reality check, no hoppers EVER from AGD. If you want to support hopper inovation buy a warp but most people still can't get past the perception.

Welcome to the new world of paintball.

AGD

-=Squid=-
02-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by AGD
You guys just dont get it. Its all about PATENTS!!!! PATENTS, PATENTS, PATENTS!!!!! SP has proved that whoever owns the patents owns the market and too many of you just don't care.

READ MY LIPS--- AGD WILL NEVER MAKE A HOPPER BECAUSE TWO MAJOR COMPANIES IN THE INDUSTRY ALREADY OWN ALL THE HOPPER PATENTS.

The players have made it clear that lawsuits over patents are "just the way you do business". Most players don't know or don't care because they don't think it will change anything. Maybe it doesn't change whats out there now but it will for sure change what does or doesn't happen in the future. So here is your first reality check, no hoppers EVER from AGD. If you want to support hopper inovation buy a warp but most people still can't get past the perception.

AGD Jeez. Nice, calm way to rationally explain why AGD won't do a hopper. :rolleyes:

bleachit
02-16-2004, 03:31 PM
well AGD has already explained at least once that I have seen. people keeping asking the same questions and he keeps giving the same answers... then 2 weeks later someone else asks the same question. :rolleyes:

jtoothman25
02-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Sorry I dont read the forums EVERYDAY. I had a very frustrating day with my EggII, and realized that all AGD products are more quality than the mass market Brass Eagle products.

bleachit
02-16-2004, 03:44 PM
I wasnt specifically referring to you in that post. I was referring to the comment directly after AGD's.

datapimp69
02-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

tom, arent there 3 patents ?

i think you guys are barking up the wrong tree.

you should be asking MANIKE to make his hopper.

and i do belive he allready has the patent on it :)

do your reasearch there is a better hopper, that just has to be made :)

so if you want to bug someone bug manike. oh and come up with 50k or so to get it off the ground :)

kriz
02-16-2004, 04:08 PM
start an new companie, make a good quality hopper and produce and distribute it in a country where the patents don't apply...

who volenteers? ;)

BlackVCG
02-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Lawsuits don't just run rampant in the paintball industry. It's like this everywhere. Automotive, computers, etc.

These industries are just *slightly* larger than paintball, so you don't hear about the lawsuits as much.

Welcome to the new world of industry.

mjs1217
02-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Wow....lawsuits suxx0r.

Will Wood
02-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Does it get on anyone elses nerves when people ask Tom for things?

felony
02-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Will Wood

What else would the average user expect? I am confused.

Tom comes here alot for our opinions and advise. There is no doubt about that. I think it is pretty normal to want to talk to a major owner of a paintball company for something. Whether it is making pb packs, or barrels.

He comes to us for opinions and some of us want some back..

Or maybe im wrong, buts thats how i see it

dan

ChucktheMAGician
02-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Will Wood

I would be raising my hand but then I couldn't be typing:rolleyes: :D

jtoothman25
02-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Why would it get on your nerves? It' TK who has to deal with it. And i'm sure TK doesnt mind answering questions over and over and over. :)

50 cal
02-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by jtoothman25
Why would it get on your nerves? It' TK who has to deal with it. And i'm sure TK doesnt mind answering questions over and over and over. :)

and over and over again.:)

AGD
02-16-2004, 06:28 PM
I am not mad at you guys for asking the questions I am frustrated at not being able to do anything about it.

FYI Manike no longer owns his patent either. There are about a dozen hopper patents out there and 90% are owned by a single entity.

As an example our vibration sensor in the warp is most likely violating something.

Again my previous post was out of industry frustration not players.

AGD

goat
02-16-2004, 06:30 PM
I think all the people that didnt understand the Hype surrounding the Smart Parts Boycott just got a wakeup call,
AGD "COULD" and probably Would make hopper ...... BUT ... other companys own the patent and it is probably worded in a very broad manner, such as.."this is a patent for a motorized container that sits above a paintball gun and feed's paintball into said gun by force or gravity", this esentially closes the door for any other company to market a design that operates in a similar fashion....
Thats why the Warp is marketable...it sits below the gun.

Just like Smart Parts "Claims" to have patented "a means of firing a paintball gun by means of electronics" which in turn opens the door for them to sue all the companys producing electronic guns.

Goat

Smoke
02-16-2004, 08:06 PM
What if AGD and one of these companies that makes hoppers collaborated on a new one? ;)

manike
02-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I do actually still own my patents, but they are exclusively licenced. A subtle difference.

Also I'm now in a better position to do more with the technology. ;) http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

jtoothman25
02-16-2004, 08:43 PM
What do you own a patent to for hoppers?

Patents in america = Dont make my product

Patents in Japan = Sharing of technology...

What about a hopper that uses air to shoot balls down. Or to mix up the paint so they can force down quicker.

FreakBaller12
02-16-2004, 08:52 PM
what about something that doesn't break:D and feeds fast enough.

manike
02-16-2004, 10:22 PM
What do you own a patent to for hoppers?

Force feed loading technology.

bleachit
02-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by toyotaboy12
what about something that doesn't break:D and feeds fast enough.

quick, patent that before someone else does.

tg ur 1t
02-17-2004, 01:16 AM
these patent wars... I don't see the owners of those companys available like Tom is... they are too busy searching for ways to steal money. Do your part and don't buy their stuff. I'll continue to do my part.
READ THE SIGNATURE..... IT'S TRUE

GT
02-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by manike
I do actually still own my patents, but they are exclusively licenced. A subtle difference.

Also I'm now in a better position to do more with the technology. ;) http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Can we get a link from you?

-=Squid=-
02-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by AGD
I am not mad at you guys for asking the questions I am frustrated at not being able to do anything about it.

FYI Manike no longer owns his patent either. There are about a dozen hopper patents out there and 90% are owned by a single entity.

As an example our vibration sensor in the warp is most likely violating something.

Again my previous post was out of industry frustration not players.

AGD Please disregard my post, I sounded like a jerk. My apologies.

manike
02-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by gtrsi
Can we get a link from you?

http://haveblue.org/tech/patents/US006109252.pdf

Morfesto
02-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I did a litle research :Dclick me (http://haveblue.org/tech/patents/US006305367.pdf)

edit: :mad: damn beaten to the punch!

Hellaspaint
02-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Very interesting conversation!!

What a world!!!!... i mean industry!!!

OysterBoy
02-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Wow, thats a rather interesting design, Manike.

I notice though, doesnt it have good means to chop when paint goes from one 'layer' to another?

AGD, I understand you cant, but all of us know if you did make a hopper itd be the best paint handling machine ever.

P.S.

what about a hopper that is designed exclusively for the warp feed? it would only look nice on the warp..... ah , forget it..

AGDlover
02-17-2004, 08:40 PM
ya that could have a shell that didn't interupt the Warp hose or maby make a extra shell for warp mod

jtoothman25
02-18-2004, 01:34 PM
If you are subscribed to a thread, you can hit the reply button to talk on AO. WE CAN BEAT THIS! lol

ShadowWalker
02-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by gtrsi
paint flo'n backpack!

I actually had a design for one. Completely serious. I won't give it away cause I might just do it just for grins.

jtoothman25
02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Any thoughts on buying an apache? I think I want one, any drawbacks?

paint magnet
02-23-2004, 03:26 PM
In my opinion, you could make a hopper that looks exactly like a Eggo, but doesn't break; that ought to be enough of a difference to resolve any patent issues. Unfortunately, that won't work.

But if you could design something that only worked on mags and/or did not use batteries (air or spring powered?) and worked reliably, that would be awesome. I can guarantee you right now that if AGD comes out with powered hoppers of any sort I will buy as many as I can with $250. (if that means one or five, so be it)

11_Mile_TMaster
02-23-2004, 06:28 PM

What about a hopper that uses air to shoot balls down. Or to mix up the paint so they can force down quicker.

They Call the latter any hopper hooked up to a Spyder. :)