PDA

View Full Version : Pumps and AO

Quickling
02-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Being an anthropology major, I sometimes find the demographis of a site interesting...

I frequent many boards, and compared to all other 'semi-auto boards' AO has by far the greatest amount of pump players and new-to-pump players.

I find this wonderful and odd. For one thing, its not like AO is composed solely of players who started when the pump was the only gun.

So I am now curious, what makes mag players more willing to pick up a pump than other players.

A personal example: I started playing with a PGP and a mini-mag. Ordered both before I started playing... still have the PGP and miss the minimag. But now i mostly play pump.

breg
02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't frequent a lot of boards, infact this is the only one I'm registered at.
I thik it has a lot to do with some of the older players telling the younger ones what a joy it is to use a pump. And, like you said, there are a lot of pump players here. Hell, they got me thinking about buying a Phantom...
But, seriously, I think there is more reverence for "Old School" here than at other forums. That, and there are a lot of open minded people here. Even Tom Kaye said that he owns a couple of WGP snipers.
So maybe, since a lot of members are registered at other forums, they just feel free to talk about them here with people who won't flame with comments like "DuD3 PuMpS R SuXoRs GeT A TiMmIe!!!!" But, instead get something much more positive and easier to read.
So, I guess what i am trying to say is that they might be on other boards, but might not post about pumps.
Another thing is that there is just one Paintball Talk here and it's not really broken up by marker type, with the execption of the Angel Forum.

Just a guess,
Breg

Brophog
02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
So I am now curious, what makes mag players more willing to pick up a pump than other players.

I don't think this has anything to do with it. I personally come here because it is one of the very few non pump specific forums where I can find mature, intelligient conversation on a regular basis.

On most any other board of this size, you tend to get too much of the immature crowd to get any kind of good quality topics.

Plus, while we tend to discuss many of the same issues on the pump forums, its nice to see viewpoints from a more diverse audience.

Dryden
02-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Maybe because Mag owners don't make purchasing decisions solely on hype and a pretty anno color.

The kid who buys a $60 Kingman probably doesn't have a pump marker on their wishlist. Fact is, a good Phantom or Sniper new will set you back $300 ... well more than a blister pack semi you can pick up at Walmart.

This isn't intended as a blanket comment regarding income, I recognize that there are exceptions, but the Mag owners I know have the money to burn to buy the best, so they fall neatly into a group which also can afford two or more markers.

Quickling
02-16-2004, 12:49 PM
I know what you mean Brophog, thats one reason I hang out here *mostly lurking* even though I no longer have a mag. But still, almost every few weeks there is someone showing off their new phantom or looking for buying advice.

Over at air-powered there is also a great group of mature people but pumps are almost never talked about like they are here. Which suprises me because its easier to make/find a sniper than a pump mag.

Jeffy-CanCon
02-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Quickling

Over at air-powered there is also a great group of mature people but pumps are almost never talked about like they are here. Which suprises me because its easier to make/find a sniper than a pump mag.

That's an excellent point. WGP still sells Snipers, while the Pump Mag is no more. I've cruised the WGP forum a couple of times with questions in mind about my Sniper2, but there was basically no pump discussion at all. There are a lot of pump-players here at AO, for some reason.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
02-16-2004, 03:17 PM
maybe it's because we are so good with our semi automatics that we need to switch to pumps just to have a challenge :)

SnYpER - Proud owner of a old school WGP Ranger

Lohman446
02-16-2004, 08:06 PM
I think a good share of us realize that the marker is not 50% of the game. I mean, many people could go to play pump and still compete.

I also realize that playing a day with my phantom teaches me more than a month with my mag.

It has something to do with a lot of us not caring what the newest fad marker is, our marker purchase is more considered than OHH OHH 03 Shocker, no Dynasty Shocker, no Free Flow racegun, no Viking... you know what i mean. We look at what we have (whatever it is), see no reason to buy another semi and go for soemthing odd.

Python14
02-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Yea, I think it really comes down to the fact that the type of player that values the attributes of an Automag also appriciates the attributes of a fine pump marker and the playing style involved.

Mike Smith
02-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Yea... Yea.... Yea.....

The reality of the situation is:

Sometimes you feel like a pump.... sometimes you don't...

(Mag & Phantom owner)

Crime Dog
02-17-2004, 08:41 AM
For me, playing pump is a combination of things:

1) Cheaper (Ohhhhh the money I save when I play pump)
2) Unique (very rare that I see a pump at my field)
3) Challenge (totally changes my style of play)
4) Respect (I hadn't expected this to be honest, but I've had several players and refs give me kudos for having the guts to play pump.)
5) It's fun! I get more of a rush out of playing pump, knowing that I'm at a "disadvantage" in firepower. Forces me to think more.

I own: Phantom VSC, MadCustomized PGP, and the Emag (for speedball/tourneyball only.) I play totally stock when playing rec (woods/indoor scenario.)

HoppysMag
02-17-2004, 02:06 PM
started pump, went semi then got a pump again now sporting a pgp and a mag and a semi fuctioning mag pump :) miss my phantom though:(

ASDadam
02-17-2004, 02:42 PM
For me, like said above, its the challenge. I love being able to go out on the field with my PGP, old BE Long Barrel Comp Nightmare or my newly aquired phantom and just pop out and cap some angel guy right in the gog. The look of pure frustrasion on their face makes my day.

ej_y4
02-17-2004, 03:00 PM
i got a phantom just to be differnt and inprove my game. Stock class is hard to play, but its worth it when you gog a guy with a $1000+ gun and se the look on there face:p . and the best part is the money i save

Tyger
02-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Perosonally, I think it's te fact that 'mag owners don't really buy into hype. You get a gun, it works, you don't muck with it. Oh sure, you do the barrel thing to get paint-to-barrel match, but for the most part you don't see 'mag owners trying to bolt on low pressure rigs or the latest 'gribble' device or anyting like that. Same thing to pumps. You don't mess with it, you just play.

That and I think 'Mag owners are used to being the "Outsiders". Playing yesterday I heard someone say that "mag are werid lookin. There's just that one tube on 'em." I get the same mentality when I play pump. "Dude! That's so hardcore!" No, I'm just playin' ball. And if I can snapshoot you between your 15 BPS, I know who's better.

Oh, and I overheard the same guy who said mags are weird say "Mags are just like Shockers. They work the same way." I thought of correcting him, but anyone with a Angel, a new jersey, new $100 pants, new goggles and a pack wihtout stains on it CAN'T be wrong, right? Sheesh.

-Tyger