PDA

View Full Version : designing your own body

Nightstalker02
02-16-2004, 07:54 PM
If you design your own body and mill it and it just happens to fit oh lets say all impulse parts or intimadator parts is that legal or do you have to pay the company.

Now lets say the outside design is completly different but internaly all the parts line up.Just as an example theres the rat impulse the eclipse,avi,nasty so on.do all these companys pay royalties to smart parts or do the parts just happen to line up.
If any one knows please let me know.I figure there is a patent on the marker but there are so many companys making parts I wonder if they all have to pay.

Mag_SEAL-6
02-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Welcome to AO. I don't think it would be illegal. People here at AO make bodies that fit mags (Nicad, Extreme Depot, etc.). I'm not sure if they have to have have AGD's permission or not but maybe someone else knows.

RRfireblade
02-16-2004, 10:04 PM
So long as you don't use the name of the company,your good.That's why there are "Cockers" that are made by people other then WGP and there are autococking markers that also take "Cocker" parts but aren't called "cockers".If you use a WGP body and mill it,you can call it an Autococker.If you make one from scratch,you can't.

Nightstalker02
02-17-2004, 12:23 AM
If you make a body and it turns out to be pretty cool can you sell it as a part.there are so many after market parts bolts,valves,regulators,could the body act like one of these parts or because its actually the main body would that be considered infringment on there patent for there marker even though the outside is no where near the same only the internals?

Nightstalker02
02-17-2004, 12:25 AM
I guess what your saying fireblade is that you could and if the person you sell it to ends up using the parts he has that just so happen to connect to the body you built it would be ok just as long as you didnt call your body (cocker)for example.

Enemy
02-17-2004, 02:28 AM
i dont know but it sounds like it should fall under custom made parts!!!! and as long as the company is still getting money from guns sold to put this part onto they dont much care..the only time patents are really used is when someone markets a marker that has copied the design of the companies marker but was made by another company..or so i think

RRfireblade
02-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Nightstalker02
I guess what your saying fireblade is that you could and if the person you sell it to ends up using the parts he has that just so happen to connect to the body you built it would be ok just as long as you didnt call your body (cocker)for example.

Yeah basically.

Smart Parts is really the only one claiming patent rights on a marker.In most cases,as with WGP,your really just dealing with a trade marked name.

Nightstalker02
02-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Does anyone have any bodys out there I can trip out on.If you have designed your own custom body post it up so we can check it out.

White_Noise
03-24-2004, 12:05 AM
i know for a fact that nicad uses the agd made slugo bodies to make his bodies, so he has to buy them from agd, so they get their money from the bodies being made