PDA

View Full Version : We are having technical difficulties please stand by AGD

AGD
02-18-2004, 03:34 PM
xx

cphilip
02-19-2004, 10:23 AM
The floggings will continue until moral improves...

No pict attachements until Rich can work some magic. It's not server nor HD space issues. Its limitations within the V Board software which are now exceeded. But he will be working on a patch to see what he can do to extend it for us and get back to normal. In the mean time some limitations will exist.

Carry on Soldiers of AO.

Rich
02-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Correction to cphillip's post :)

It's not the forum software, but a database limitation for the size of the tables. The attachment table is at the largest that it can be. I am working with Mr. AGD himself to get this resolved.

Thanks again for your patience.

StygShore
02-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Anyone have a machine they could use to host pictures for AGD? Then we can just use hyperlinks to the pictures for our posts?

Styg

Thordic
02-19-2004, 10:35 AM
If they could use links in the DB instead of having the pictures in the DB, and host the images on the AO server outside the DB, I think that would solve the problem.

How to do that, I don't know :)

cphilip
02-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Rich tells me its a limitation in the software more than anything. If he can find a patch to make attachements and such to go to HD space rather than use up the limitation the software creates it will solve that issue. Without getting to technical. The software itself limits us to 4 gigs or some thing. And even without pictures it would still be an issue. So lets let him work some of that out. We have plenty of HD space. We just have to get the software to use it.

So yea thats correct Thordic. And yea he has to figure out now how to make it do that. I am certain he will.

Rich
02-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Already in the works to use a solution that stores the images as files on the server.

Talks have begun to move forward in that direction

Rich
02-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence cphillip ;)

Jack & Coke
02-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Which threads have the most attachments? Just currious...

The Frymarker
02-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Does this go for the button as well, because I can't view those either.

This isn't the only site I am having problems with though???

I can't view ebay pics either or the first page of my site, the rest are fine though.

I went browsing on the web and there were some sites that had pics and other that I wasn't able to view.

When I right clicked to show pic, it gave me an error that stated the page had script errors?

Is it me, is there something wrong with my pc???

cphilip
02-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Rich
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence cphillip ;)

I got your back Rich.... with a gun! :D

logamus
02-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by The Frymarker
Is it me, is there something wrong with my pc???

its your pc. want some tnt?

The Frymarker
02-19-2004, 01:28 PM
For real, oh great.

I went into my internet settings and it still did nothing.

lbonettosd
02-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Hey Fry,

When was the last time you updated the anti-virus? you may also want to get Ad-Ware and run it on your PC to see if you have some Spyware taking up system resources. Also check the windowsupdate.com site for explorer updates.

The Frymarker
02-19-2004, 01:49 PM
crap I figured it was a virus.

I'll have to check on my husband laptop when he get's home, if it is not the at&t connection.

I'll take your advice lbonettosd, thanks for your help :)

hitech
02-19-2004, 01:53 PM
It's not the forum software, but a database limitation for the size of the tables. The attachment table is at the largest that it can be. I am working with Mr. AGD himself to get this resolved.

[shameless plug]
You should have used an AS/400 (iSeries) ;)
[/shameless plug]

jayloo
02-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by StygShore
Anyone have a machine they could use to host pictures for AGD? Then we can just use hyperlinks to the pictures for our posts?

Styg

This is not a software problem (neither PHP, OS or Apache) it is a size limitation of a table in MySQL problem. I am sure the field in the table in question is a longblob (a datatype capable of storing binary data). This is a preferred method of storing MANY files like images. You can put the file on the OS but you dill destroy your file access times because of the MANY number of files. Putting the files on the HD is a huge mistake for your dedicated server.

Contact the vBullitin folks and see hat they say, I am sure this is not the first time this has happened to someone. Or hack the vBullitin code and find a way to spread out the attachments over multiple tables. This is the point where a great FREE product like MySQL can't compete with Oracle. But oracle and its admin comes with a HUGE price.

BTW, I am a webmaster, Oracle DBA and Unix Sysadmin for a fortune 500 company. I am not bragging (I don't get paid crap) I just know a thing or 2 about Unix and databases.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
02-19-2004, 04:49 PM
official hot girls
official automags pics
My pictures thread

i think those threads have over 100 pics on em

hitech
02-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by jayloo

This is the point where a great FREE product like MySQL can't compete with Oracle. But oracle and its admin comes with a HUGE price.

DB2/400 comes "free" with the AS/400 (iSeries) and has VERY LOW admin costs. :D

[shameless plug]
Should have used an AS/400.
[/shameless plug]

Rich
02-19-2004, 07:26 PM
If the server interface was updated to support mysql 4.2 we could switch the table type to InnoDB and bypass the 4.0 gb limit. But that's just another boatload of stuff to work on.

What I'm working on doing (and will result in more down time) is upgrading the forums to vbulletin version 3.0 and then switching the attachments to a file based storage method with database links and we won't have this problem (until they really fill up the hard drive) ;)

cphilip
02-19-2004, 07:48 PM
(cphilip goes to get another beer while the geeks talk amongst themselves of things he does not understand...)

:D

jayloo
02-19-2004, 08:32 PM
If the server interface was updated to support mysql 4.2 we could switch the table type to InnoDB and bypass the 4.0 gb limit. But that's just another boatload of stuff to work on.

What I'm working on doing (and will result in more down time) is upgrading the forums to vbulletin version 3.0 and then switching the attachments to a file based storage method with database links and we won't have this problem (until they really fill up the hard drive) ;)

Yeah but won't you have bigger problems with file access times since you will have MANY small files on a filesystem?

WARPED1
02-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Upgrade to the lates vb. I think it's 3. Angel-owners.com uses it so yall can see it.

1stdeadeye
02-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Techno-Geek to english Translations please?:confused:

WARPED1
02-19-2004, 09:48 PM
This is a vbulletin board, version like 2. 6 or something. Many vb boards have upgraded to version 3, maybe it'll fix any problems...............

jayloo
02-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Um, computers have limits. Hardware and software, in this case you have many pieces to the AO puzzle. To run vBullitin you need a database (MySQL) and something to access the database (apache - web server and PHP - programming language used to access the database and make dynamic web pages).

The weak link here is the database. There is a limit on a single table size and I believe it is 4G. Hope this helps

For the geeks here this is a description from netcraft about the AO server....

Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_perl/1.26 mod_throttle/2.11 PHP/4.1.0 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6f

cphilip
02-19-2004, 09:53 PM
V2.2.5 is what we running. We had it a while though. Times change.

jayloo
02-19-2004, 09:56 PM
This has little to nothing to do with the software (vBullitin) and everything to do with the database (MySQL). Change the database and all could be good.

cphilip
02-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Thats partialy the case Jayloo. As I understand it. Maybe easier said than done but yea...

WARPED1
02-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Git it.............sorta.

jayloo
02-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Thats partialy the case Jayloo. As I understand it. Maybe easier said than done but yea...

Oh .. sorry if I made it sound simple. What has to be done is the equivalent to open heart surgery. I have been through transitions like this one and it is never pretty.

It seems that there is only one server for these boards....a standby/parallel server to do testing on would be golden at this time.

darwin
02-19-2004, 10:19 PM
hey,

if you all want a site to upload on i can set one up.

i have a dual xeon sitting on a nice connection

InexactMelissa
02-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by jayloo

Contact the vBullitin folks and see hat they say, I am sure this is not the first time this has happened to someone. Or hack the vBullitin code and find a way to spread out the attachments over multiple tables.

Eeeks! That sounds like a nightmare! You'd have to add code to determine the current table size, compare the attachment size to the remaining table size, then if necessary run a make table query and insert that new table into a reference table, and then at last insert the image every time someone wanted to upload something.

It could be that I'm just lazy, but I'd go with the file based attachments if it were me.

Rich
02-20-2004, 12:21 PM
vbulletin version 3 has a built in converter to change it from database stored images to file-based storage.

The hardest part is just making sure I have a full backup of the mysql db for automags and then bringing down the boards for the update. The update is the smoothest part, what will take a bit is the conversion from db to files. That process will probably begin early next week.

TraXeR
02-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Jack & Coke
Which threads have the most attachments? Just currious...

Most likely 'Official Hot Chick Thread' and 'Official mag pictures'.