PDA

View Full Version : Paintball letter

Woogie12
02-19-2004, 03:12 PM
I wrote a letter to abcnews.com about one of their articles on paintball. I was wondering what you guys thought. Here's the article: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Living/Paintball_dangers_040114-1.html
And here is my letter:
I recently viewed your article entitled “Painful Pellets”. Your article is filled with misinformation. Paintball is a fun, safe sport when played correctly. Many good points about paintball were left out, like many rules and regulations for approved fields. Inexperience players not knowing what they were doing caused many of those injuries. At nearly all paintball fields, rules are strictly enforced. Some of these rules include having your goggles on anywhere a marker is being fired and barrel plugs in when not playing or chronographing your marker. Chronographing is using a chronograph to ensure that your marker is firing under the safe international fps (feet per second) limit of 300 fps. Your statement about paintball markers firing as fast as bullets is not true. I do not know of any effective firearm that fires at 300 fps. The bullet would not have any effective range or power. Paintball is one of the safest sports being played with fewer injuries than football, hockey, and even golf.
This is not a fair judgment of the sport of paintball. If someone beats another person to death with a bat, is the problem with baseball? No, and it should be the same for paintball. Paintball is the 3rd most popular extreme sport right now. It is a fast, fun, and action-packed sport that is extremely safe when played correctly. Any sport can be dangerous when played incorrectly. When you play football without a helmet, you can severely injure your head. The same goes for paintball when you do not wear a mask. Should paintball be considered any more dangerous? Most of these injuries were not only cause by the sport being played incorrectly, but also because of senseless vandalism. These vandals should not give the sport of paintball a bad name. Next time, please consider the good points about your subject and try and include them in your article. You missed many points on the good side of paintball.

badinfo
02-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Well, they seem to have pulled the article.
Your letter was well written, got the point across without sounding angry. Well done.

phantomhitman
02-19-2004, 04:48 PM
the article is still up. it includes the incident in raleigh also that happen a couple of weeks back.

Kevmaster
02-19-2004, 05:28 PM
yeh, keep us updated on that affair. Im in DUrham and a former field owner (well..manager) and know soem of the field owners. We could prolly fight a resolution pretty hard if the raleigh legislature came down the way the first N&O article said it would. however, im at Duke and in my little bubble and don't know much about the happenings of raeligh

good letter though

paint magnet
02-19-2004, 05:49 PM
They claim "paintballs are fired at up to 300 fps, as fast as some bullets"

What kind of bullet fires at 300 fps!?!

Even .22 bullets with only primers (no powder whatsoever) hover around 500 fps.

paint magnet
02-19-2004, 05:52 PM
By the way, the fool that shot into a crowd and put out one girl's eye (and now goes around preaching about how dangerous paintball is) should have been charged with Assault & Battery with intent to cause serious bodily injury...and it would not have bothered me one bit if someone in the crowd had thought he was shooting a firearm, pulled out their own gun and dropped the hammer on him. :mad:

tyrion2323
02-19-2004, 07:44 PM
woogie, what's the address that you emailed to them? I can't find a contact button.

Woogie12
02-19-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm emailing it here:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/service/Help/abcmail_news.html
To Good Morning America because I believe they're the ones who showed the story.

RingOfScale
02-19-2004, 10:17 PM
you guys shouldn't be so hard on people who dont know much about paintball ... i know u were being nice in the letter and all, and letting em know its not that bad is a good idea ... but just keep in mind, they werent really saying stuff that bad about paintball, and when they mentioned all the injuries they are least saying it was from people playing illegally and not at fields etc ... its not like they were making it sound like all paintball is horribly dangerous

Woogie12
02-19-2004, 10:27 PM
I know this, but the people who don't play, especially parents, don't know the difference. After watching that or reading that article, most parents won't let their kids play.

badinfo
02-20-2004, 04:11 AM
OK, article was there when I checked again, musta been down earlier. It wasnt as bad as it could be but yeah, its not positive towards the game.