PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone wear jerseys?

tony3
02-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Last time I was at the field most people were wearing a jersey. Even kids with very inexpensive guns had jerseys. I don't know, it just seems that once you become more serious about it you wear a jersey, not if your gun costs 50 bucks and your jersey costs 40. It seemed like when I first started playing you used to be able to divide it up jerseys vs everyone else. Now its like jerseys vs. 2 other people. I didn't get my first jersey till this summer after I had been playing a good while. Maybe its just around here, just want to see what other people think.

Mindflux
02-19-2004, 04:40 PM
I don't think what you shoot has any say on if you have a jersey. They start at 20 bucks anymore. They're also nice because you're not munging up your "normal" clothing.

My brother has sweatshirts with oil splotches on them (no color, but the oil is still in the fabric)

Why not use a cheap jersey.. rather than good clothes.

yellow dart
02-19-2004, 04:42 PM
i've been playing for about four years and i just got my first jersey four months ago.

FreakBaller12
02-19-2004, 04:48 PM
i've been playing 3 years and just got a jersey last summer. Jerseys make lil kids think they are pros or somethign like that i guess.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
02-19-2004, 04:52 PM
i've been playing for 5 years and i still don't own a jersey...

well...i do got that beat up shot up burned up shirt that i wear

Wes Janson
02-19-2004, 04:56 PM
I won a Tippmann shirt/jersey, and my gun came with two blue Dye jerseys...but I prefer just to wear camo. The less of a target I am, the better.

logamus
02-19-2004, 05:01 PM
i got a jersey last may. i wear it because its not making my normal clothes get all fouled up. plus it says automags.org on it and i like to pimp the site.

speedyejl
02-19-2004, 05:04 PM
...you people shock me

I wear a jersey because... you would look like a complete moron playing a tournament with out one.

ramenjames
02-19-2004, 05:16 PM
i dont have a jersey yet.....my team has yet to decide on a color schem

|GB|
02-19-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't own a jersey. I'll buy one probaly after our first tourney.

tony3
02-19-2004, 05:30 PM
I don't know, it just seems like so many little kids where them to look cool. A kid at the field this weekend was probably 10 or so, had a stock bottomline piranha, yet had a c4 jersey:confused:

SyntaxError
02-19-2004, 05:32 PM
lol I look like a bum half the time I play, its fun to wear old school camo jerseys cuz alot of the kids think you're a noob and then you shoot them in the face and they look stupid.

if they wanna spend the cash thats fine, let them, its cooler to rock the old school camo anyway

shartley
02-19-2004, 05:34 PM
I have always worn a black sweatshirt… and I will probably still wear it depending on where I am playing. But my son wears both a jersey and a black sweatshirt just like me. And this year we are both going to wear my own jerseys.

I don’t however, judge a player one way or the other by what they are wearing.

barberjohn
02-19-2004, 05:52 PM
the first one i had was after i had been playing over 3 years, and i just bought it becuase it was on closeout:D .

Patron God of Pirates
02-19-2004, 05:55 PM
I wear the shirt from a Haloween ninja costume, and wind pants. Seems odd, but I'm more concerned with not sweating my gonads off then looking cool.

ZAust
02-19-2004, 06:02 PM
tshirt and ripped up jeans here. the only jersey i would even think about would be a pink ao jersey. seriusly.

CodeMA
02-19-2004, 06:11 PM
when its uber hot Ill just were a sleevless shirt and some pants(Smokins), most of the time Ill throw on a jersey, currently it would last teams jersey(Draxxus) because its pimp ;) and I got it cheap through the team... and I like it... generally its used for all play...

TMC is still working on a design for custom jerseys...

I didnt start wearing a jeresy till I got heavyily into speedball and all that good stuff, but I prefer them due to there ventedness and fitting, as well as the whole paint issue...

Rope a Dope
02-19-2004, 06:13 PM
I wear pants when I play paintball.

logamus
02-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by CodeMA
ventedness

im not sure if thats a word, but i like it anyway. :)

~WarpedRT#2~
02-19-2004, 06:51 PM
I was shooting up people with jerseys and $1000 guns nonstop back when I was in my second year. I got a jersey for christmas, but I dont really think that it has anything to do with the skill level you play at.

Think of it like this. If you can walk the walk, after talking the talk, you might as well look the look.

trains are bad
02-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Army surplus and thrift store clothes here.

dyst0pia
02-19-2004, 07:25 PM
I know I suck at paintball, well reasonably, yet I still own a C4 jersey. Why? It is that much easier to clean up, paint comes out of it incredibly easily. Also, I think it looks pretty sweet.

JuggaloDave
02-19-2004, 07:35 PM
they look cool. i played for 3 years before i bought one

.tMan
02-19-2004, 07:39 PM
I haven't been able to pick up a good jersey yet

So I just wear a longsleeved black shirt and then a shortsleeved camo shirt over the top of it

Its more of a joke for the camo, I can't hide well.

dave_p
02-19-2004, 07:44 PM
this must be PBN, i though i was at AO. my mistake.

what does it matter what people wear. worry about yourself. i wish people would put more effort into their game instead of creating these obscenely retarded protocols for being in the paintball "culture". for gods sake shut up and play paintball. now there are rules about how soon to buy a jersey. give me a break.

speedyejl
02-19-2004, 07:54 PM
No this must be AO,

The majority of PBN users are wearing jerseys or want to be

If people aren't wearing jerseys chances are their playing recball or woodsball. Push themselves? Its just recball nothing to be serious about

Caffiend
02-19-2004, 08:23 PM
played for 4 years, own one jersey. worn it once during a scenario game so teammates could pick me out of a crowd :) usually wearing camo pants and my "I'll sleep when I'm dead" black t-shirt. played first tourney in that, I loved the fact no one took me seriously until I got to their 40...

tony3
02-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by dave_p
this must be PBN, i though i was at AO. my mistake.
what does it matter what people wear. worry about yourself. i wish people would put more effort into their game instead of creating these obscenely retarded protocols for being in the paintball "culture". for gods sake shut up and play paintball. now there are rules about how soon to buy a jersey. give me a break.

Wow, I really want to flame you but I won't. I think I'm more talking about all the kids that have guns and gear that was 100 bucks, but they are using a 40 dollar jersey, and 70 dollar pants. What ever happened to, get good gear, then work on your looks? Thats how it was when I started playing paintball....You also were pretty much summed up what I was talking about, why don't people spend their money playing, rather then buying expensive paintball clothes?

dave_p
02-19-2004, 09:16 PM
flame away dude, but i guarantee i am no one to be trifled with. im not here to flame BTW. i started playing around the time you were 8 years old. back then you worried about getting good before you bought the fancy gun(much less a shirt). i understand your frustration to a degree but its a waste of time thinking about it. there will be poseurs no matter what. there are so many other things about paintball that need to be addressed, clothing is the least of it. let these kids buy their gear. if they get good then excellent. if they quit whatever. but dont measure someone by the cost of their gun. 40 for shirt, 70 pants and 100 gun = 210 bucks. a small investment by the parents(if these are younger kids you are talking about)is safer if they quit than say buying 12 year old johnny a 1000$ timmy and having him quit cuz his expensive gun didnt keep him from getting lit up.

not only that but can you blame the kids. people chastise others enough in this game, they probably are afraid of what people would think if they didnt have a jersey. its just all ridiculous crap that doesnt mean anything.

that being said:
who am i, this is an open forum anyone can discuss anything they want be it poseurs in jerseys or what have you. i digress. but i dont apoligize for my opinion.

phantomhitman
02-19-2004, 09:27 PM
i wear a black long sleeve shirt right now. but i tried on a dye jersey and i immediatly ran faster and got 2 bounces. i will put one on a 24 month layaway plan if possible.

RingOfScale
02-19-2004, 09:32 PM
i would wear a jersey if i had the money at the moment ... well actually i have 400 dollars, and would get an AO jersey, cept i dont have a mag yet, and on the off chance i change my mind, i dont wanna be wearing a AO jersey and shooting an autococker or impulse :)

Cheeseball24
02-19-2004, 09:35 PM
omg, this guy on my team has like 4 jersey's and two pairs of paintball pants, one dye, one jt. He wears the pants EVERY OTHER DAY, literally. He swaps out dye and jt. And every day he wears a jersey. I'm starting to wonder if the guy actually has any other clothes at all.

Rumble
02-19-2004, 09:40 PM
omg, this guy on my team has like 4 jersey's and two pairs of paintball pants, one dye, one jt. He wears the pants EVERY OTHER DAY, literally. He swaps out dye and jt. And every day he wears a jersey. I'm starting to wonder if the guy actually has any other clothes at all.
lol actually he dosent, except for maybe one other shirt and one regular pair of pants

68magOwner
02-19-2004, 09:48 PM
I have played several tournies, and have yet to wear a jersey (excluding a muppets jersy from my lil bro's soccer team as a joke) frankyl, making minimum wage, while trying to pay for all my paintball stuff, i dont have the spare money to get a jersey :( . But i do have a nightmare before christmas shirt that i usally wear paintballing because it matches the lazer engraving on my marker :p

02-19-2004, 09:54 PM
I almost always wear a jersey or a black long sleeve shirt.

pbguy888
02-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Ive been playin for 8 years, shoot a viking, what do I wear?
Winter-Hoodie
Summer- White long sleeve shirt.

tony3
02-19-2004, 10:31 PM
flame away dude, but i guarantee i am no one to be trifled with. im not here to flame BTW. i started playing around the time you were 8 years old. back then you worried about getting good before you bought the fancy gun(much less a shirt). i understand your frustration to a degree but its a waste of time thinking about it. there will be poseurs no matter what. there are so many other things about paintball that need to be addressed, clothing is the least of it. let these kids buy their gear. if they get good then excellent. if they quit whatever. but dont measure someone by the cost of their gun. 40 for shirt, 70 pants and 100 gun = 210 bucks. a small investment by the parents(if these are younger kids you are talking about)is safer if they quit than say buying 12 year old johnny a 1000$ timmy and having him quit cuz his expensive gun didnt keep him from getting lit up.

I don't know exactly what to say because I didn't understand most of that, but I'll give it a shot. Personally, you can most times judge someone by their gun. If they are shooting a 100 dollar blowback, they most likely aren't to serious about the game and don't play to often. How many times do you see hardcore tourney players with blowbacks? If I see someone with clothes that cost more then their gun, I will assume they are a poser trying to look cool. Am I right all the time? No, but most of the time I am.

NoFearPaintballer
02-19-2004, 10:45 PM
i wear a BRass eagle jersey i bought for 5$ for $]-[1Ts n giggles. or ill just wear a empire tshirt. O yea i wear my empire pants. i dont really wanna wear a jersey unless im at a tournemnet with my team that im extremely serious about

badinfo
02-20-2004, 03:56 AM
Ya know, Suicidal Snyper posted a bunch of pics in some other thread and the one thing that struck me was how pathetic some of those young kids looked in all their pimped out gear. Kudos to SS for wearing that rockin Tshirt and the stuffed dog. Jerseys dont make ya play better, and good game beats good gun most of the time.
Oh yeah, I wear camo. Like I used to back in 84 lol.

breg
02-20-2004, 05:24 AM
I wear a jersey becaue I don't have a lot of clothes that I can chance ruining during a game. So, I cave and bought an '02 Dye jersey at about 25% off. The pants I bought because i thought they were cool looking and I wear them all the time. That and they are comfy while going commando...
But, before that I wore a grey dickies work shirt over a long sleeved black t-shirt and camo pants. But, I like the jersey and paintball pants better mostly because of the vents built into them. Especially the pants, they have this panel built in to help prevent swamp crotch... swamp crotch is not good...

shartley
02-20-2004, 06:39 AM
WOW, this thread has gone downhill…..

How about THIS?

To judge someone simply by the marker they shoot, or what they LOOK like (i.e. what they wear) is stupid in BOTH directions. To think someone CAN play because they wear a jersey is stupid, but to think they are only a poser because they wear one is even MORE stupid. And the same is true with seeing someone walk onto a playing field carrying a particular brand of marker.

No this is NOT PBN, but with that said, the question of whether someone wears a jersey or not is one of general conversation. It is HOW that conversation goes that makes AO different (until lately it seems) from other paintball forums such as PBN.

Want to know the TRUTH about AO and Jerseys? The tide ebbs and flows. On AO it used to be that if you didn’t wear a jersey and played woodsball you were ragged on because you were not keeping up with the “styles”…. Now it seems that since jerseys and speedball have become more popular, the thing to do is rag on jerseys and those who wear them. Why is this? Do some really need to be “outsiders” and somehow superior to the rest of the “stupid” and “posing” paintball world? LOL

I say wear what you WANT to wear, and don’t listen to anyone else. If you are bad player, just putting on a jersey will not make you a better player…. But the same is true in reverse. If you are a good player putting on a jersey will not suddenly make you a “poser”. Wear the appropriate clothing for the type of game you are playing, and what you are comfortable in. And YES, there are even some jerseys that can be used in woodsball, if the colors are right.

Now go have fun!

Evil Bob
02-20-2004, 08:15 AM
Does everyone where a jersey?

No, "everyone" does not wear a jersey. Your average baller doesn't play speedball or play in tournies, they usually play once or twice a year when the weather is nice and wear whatever they have around the house that can be desposed of after playing, the average player doesn't own their own gear, they usually rent it from the field.

The fact of the matter is that less then 10% play speedball and less then 2% play tournies, which is a far cry from being the all encompassing "everyone".

Most people are just happy to show up and afford to play a game once or twice a year, they typically wear whatever raggy clothes they have laying around the house and they play rec ball.

Now, those that happen to play more then a handful number of games a year falls into the hobbiest group. This is the category that most of us here on AO (and other paintball related forums) fall into, we are hobbiests, but regardless of what you percieve, we are a small minority of the total number of people out there who are playing paintball, we only account for 15% of the paintball market. The hobbiest typically own their own gear and will have at least tried several different variations of the game. This means they will have at least given speedball or possibly a local tourny a shot at one time or another, it does not mean that they play these two games on a regular basis. Most hobbiest play woodsball, that is where the bulk of paintball takes place. The percentage of hobbiest level players that regularly play in tournies is still quite low. Take AO for example, only a small percentage of AO regularly plays tournies. This is mainly due to the fact that hobbiests dont have the time, inclination, or money to play a tournament, much less a full tourny season. The plain fact of the matter is you shoot alot of paint at a tournament, the better you team does, the more games you play, the more paint you shoot, and the higher the paint bill at the end of the day. Your average hobbiest would rather spend money on equipment then lay out $500-$1200 in paint for a single tourny.

I hate to break it to some of you, but amatuer tourny players fall into the hobbiest category as well, they're the upper crust of the hobbiest who have the time, money, and inclination to take their hobby one step further, but they are still hobbiests.

The level above the hobbiest is the professional. Professionals who typically do not buy their own gear, it is provided for them through their sponsorships. These guys make up less then 1% of the total number of people playing paintball.

-Evil Bob

Pacifist_Farmer
02-20-2004, 08:41 AM
I guess that makes me a hobbiest

moving on...

Played 8 years, owned three jerseys, and i never seem to be able to wear them past the first game of the day, i get hot way too fast

phantomhitman
02-20-2004, 09:02 AM
i am a hobbyistest also. i like my hobby though :D

Sir_Brass
02-20-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm in my 3rd year of playing and have spend very little time getting pball 'wear' other than gloves and a mask. I have only 1 jersey, but I rarely wear it b/c it makes me stick out like a sore thumb in the woods.

I'd LOVE to own a jersey that I can effectively wear in the woods, b/c I like jerseys. They're VERY comfortable to wear. But effectiveness comes before looks in my book (thus the reason I shoot a blazer instead of a fancy milled autococker).

shartley
02-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass
I'm in my 3rd year of playing and have spend very little time getting pball 'wear' other than gloves and a mask. I have only 1 jersey, but I rarely wear it b/c it makes me stick out like a sore thumb in the woods.

I'd LOVE to own a jersey that I can effectively wear in the woods, b/c I like jerseys. They're VERY comfortable to wear. But effectiveness comes before looks in my book (thus the reason I shoot a blazer instead of a fancy milled autococker).
Well.... as you may know, your "woods" jersey is in the works. ;) If you didn't know.... feel free to check out my site.

Brennan
02-20-2004, 11:33 AM
I don't generally wear a jersey during rec ball. Instead I wear army t-shirts (you know, those olive-brown ones). They are light, comfy, and cheap.

I have noticed more and more rec players wearing jerseys. I've also noticed all the kids looking for "Player X" jerseys.

B.

TheTramp
02-20-2004, 11:56 AM
flame away dude, but i guarantee i am no one to be trifled with.

NICE! This had me laughing so hard that other people in the office were looking in to see what the hell was going on in my cubicle.

Anyone remember the "I'm no one to be trifled with" line from The Princess Bride? LMAO!

I hope you wrote that with your tongue firmly in your cheek.

1stdeadeye
02-20-2004, 12:11 PM
I wear a jersey. It even has my screen name on it!:D

Jersey's are a fun part of our game, but they are not necessary.

SlartyBartFast
02-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Evil Bob
I hate to break it to some of you, but amatuer tourny players fall into the hobbiest category as well, they're the upper crust of the hobbiest who have the time, money, and inclination to take their hobby one step further, but they are still hobbiests.
-Evil Bob

Hate to break it to you ...

Tourney palyers are not "upper crust", it's just a different game format.

If you think that time, money, and inclination is what makes you upper crust, then what many Scenario and rec players have accomplished is far greater than what most Tournament players have.

The "next step up" from rec or scenario IS NOT tournament airball play or Xball. Those are steps sideways into related but different games.

"Up" in rec or scenario would be runnning or promoting the games, getting involved in special teams, maybe owning a field/store, etc..

UltimatePaintballer
02-20-2004, 12:35 PM
i have been playing for 2 1/2 to three years and i got my my first jersey...um...like a year ago or less. I have nothing against people that wear them or anything. I could really care less. Some people are just either really agaisnt them or with them. I have an avalanche jersey. I like to wear it cause i like how it looks, not because it makes me look like im on avalanche. A paintball jersey is just like any other sport jersey

I have a question, what you you people think about wearing pb pants or jerseys to school? i wear my jt pants and jerseys to school and some people think its dumb. i like to cause its comfortable. one kid that wears a tank top while paintballing to make him look "tough" calls me a poser for it. kids stupid

fallout11
02-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Like badinfo, I still wear camos like I did back in the mid 1980's.
I do not own a jersey, and do not want one.

Incidentally, excellent post Evil Bob! Kudos to you.

Sir_Brass
02-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by shartley

Well.... as you may know, your "woods" jersey is in the works. ;) If you didn't know.... feel free to check out my site.

oh I know alright :D. If I didn't, then I'd have to wonder who was posting in mccarterbrown instead of me, then :p.

ShaftyMcGee
02-20-2004, 02:53 PM
last summer a wore a long sleeved underarmor spandex shirt, i loved it, kept me nice and cool. I played in one local tourney and wore a white collared shirt and a black tie :p still had my underarmor underneath it though

Sir_Brass
02-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ShaftyMcGee
last summer a wore a long sleeved underarmor spandex shirt, i loved it, kept me nice and cool. I played in one local tourney and wore a white collared shirt and a black tie :p still had my underarmor underneath it though

Now THAT seems like an almost essential accessory for ANY playing weather. Wet clothes due to sweat make it miserable for the player whether in summer or winter.

Where can I get an underarmor spandex shirt and how much does it cost?

bunkermaster10
02-20-2004, 05:10 PM
I wear a jersey ALWAYS. I wouldn't feel right with out one.... Most people wear jerseys IMO, I think its just not that many people here on AO do. Ask this on pbnation and it will be like "Duh" of course we do. I don't play rec ball really so that could be why.

bunkermaster10
02-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass

Where can I get an underarmor spandex shirt and how much does it cost?

Dye makes one. Since its DYE its probably gonna be a bit. But probably not to much.

MarineRDNC
02-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I own like 5 jerseys... one being a Dynasty jersey and one is a jersey that i got signed by Bob Long, all of Miami Effect, Oakland Assassins, and some of Detroit Thunder. The others are tournament jerseys from past years and practice jerseys. But if you want to get into other things like some of you have... I have 4 pair of gloves, 6 goggles, 2 being my friends that left them at my house and they no longer play. 3 pair of pants, 3 harnesses, and a bunch of other numerous stuff. Granted we are under sponsorship from National Paintball Supply and we are going to all Empire gear this year so thats another reason for the numberous stuff.

MarineRDNC
02-20-2004, 07:27 PM
BTW you can get Under Armour online, or at like Finish Line, Dick's Sporting Goods, Champs... anyplace that sells shoes or sporting equipment really. The long sleeve are about 50 bucks and the short sleeve are like 25 or 30 bucks.

SyntaxError
02-20-2004, 07:34 PM
I think it doesnt really matter, I play serious national level tourney ball and like I said half the time I look like a bum, and so do alot of other serious ballers lol.

I'm secure enough in my play that I'll wear what's most advantageous or comfortable or handy at the time, I don't need 10 super stylish jerseys to blow your face off in other words. I own more than my share of paintball jerseys and pants, dont get me wrong, but I really don't care that much.

bryceeden
02-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Cheeseball24

I have 4 pairs of Raven Havocs and about 10 jerseys, so that makes up most of what I wear.

Halliday
02-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Been playing for almost 4 years now. I've owned 1 jersey. I won it at a Big Game and sold it on ebay :)

I normally wear:
a green Nike t-shirt (summer)
a black "Freestyle" hoodie (fall/winter)
$10 Target cargo pants / $10 Target shorts
$40 steel toe work boots

I just realize that my shoes cost more than the rest of my paintball clothes combined :|

I do judge player by what they wear and shoot. New clothes = either they just got them for Christmas or are noobs. Fancy marker and new clothes = noob. Fancy marker and ratty clothes = watch out!

tony3
02-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Yeah halliday I completely agree. Most of the better players at my field don't wear jerseys.

Sir_Brass
02-21-2004, 11:03 PM
I don't think wearing a jersey or not wearing a jersey has any bearing on indicating if you're a good player or not. a good player, however, will forsake wearing a jersey if he's going to be playing a game where staying hidden and camoflauged (sp?) will be critical to success in the game.

A good player knows when it's ok to look good, and when it's smarter to not look "as good" as compared to being hidden from view through use of appropriate cammo and use of effective cover.

Halliday
02-21-2004, 11:29 PM
I should have said that I mostly play woods, so I try to blend in as much as possible. When I do play speedball I wear pretty much the same thing because

1) it's comfy
2) I already have it on
3) it doesn't matter b/c I won't be blending in anyway.

I do like those WGP digital cammo jeresys, except they say "WGP." :)

Sir_Brass
02-22-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Halliday
I should have said that I mostly play woods, so I try to blend in as much as possible. When I do play speedball I wear pretty much the same thing because

1) it's comfy
2) I already have it on
3) it doesn't matter b/c I won't be blending in anyway.

I do like those WGP digital cammo jeresys, except they say "WGP." :)

I've found that in my woods game, that I have little use for cammo. I don't think that'll be the case for scenario games, though. Still, if they'd make a cammo pattern of my JT pro-series pants, I'd buy them. I love my pro-series pants, and no bdu jacket will go with it, though, so I simply wear a black long-sleeved T-shirt with it.

though I will sacrifice the ultimate comfort of my speedballish gear for my bdus if I find that in the games I'll be playing, I'll be distinctively more effective with cammo than without (and go straight up black ;)).