PDA

View Full Version : Ricochet Apache: to buy or not to buy

InexactMelissa
02-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Currently I'm sporting an old 9V Revolution. Obviously that's got to go, so I am shopping. My choices seem to be an Egg (just can't abide the egg), Halo, or 12V Revy. Now, I figure if I spend the 50 bucks on the 12V, I'll just want something better in the long run. The care and feeding of the Halo scares me a bit, especially the hours long cleaning sessions and 18 million AA batteries. So I'm thinking about the new Apache, but it's very new and I haven't heard a lot about Ricochets in general.

Advice is much appreciated.

RRfireblade
02-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Ricochets in general are excellent loaders for the cost and function,but as you said,the Apache is really to new to have a track record.Rik customer service,I can tell you, is some of the best all time cust service ever.So you probably won't get stuck either way.

magking1971
02-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Plus if you get it you can give us a review about it!
I have been looking into one but nobody has it yet.

barberjohn
02-19-2004, 08:44 PM
i would wait until there are some reviews out on it, or atleast you know it works as well as they say it does. also, you should take a look at the new q-loader. you may not like the concept, but its worth a look.

GA Devil
02-19-2004, 08:47 PM
I was looking at the apache closely at MGO this past weekend to possibly carry in my store. I looks real nice. Has a unique "paddle" design and oring feedneck. Looks real durable. The display is nice. I personally use an evo2 with zboard myself. But would say from what i say and was showed it would be a good buy.

InexactMelissa
02-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the opinions. I think I'll probably give the apache a try unless anyone convinces me not to before I get my order in. :p

I did look at the Qloader, but as cool as it is, I don't think it's for me...mainly due to concerns about loosing, breaking, or otherwise having to replace pods at 30 bucks a pop.

Chojin Man
02-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by barberjohn
i would wait until there are some reviews out on it, or atleast you know it works as well as they say it does. also, you should take a look at the new q-loader. you may not like the concept, but its worth a look.

q-loader seems to pricey at the moment.

RingOfScale
02-19-2004, 09:28 PM
ohh yeah i've been wanting to get an apache now, just cause, my 12v x-board revvy works fine... but for some reason the apache appeals to meh , but its sharp angles would only look cool on top of certain guns, example: it would fugly if combined with the DM4

InexactMelissa
02-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by RingOfScale
ohh yeah i've been wanting to get an apache now, just cause, my 12v x-board revvy works fine... but for some reason the apache appeals to meh , but its sharp angles would only look cool on top of certain guns, example: it would fugly if combined with the DM4

Good point...the apache's angularity would look out of place on something like the DM4 with a curvy design. I'd be putting it on an RT-ULE which still has the sight rail most people hate.

member#10,261
02-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Howsabout you give me the $$ and I'll buy it and "test" it for you.

:D ;) :rolleyes: :p

Kevmag
02-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Can you just update the 9V to a 12V X-board? Probably cost no more than $10-20.

SN0BL1ND
02-20-2004, 07:09 AM
I've been runnin' a Ricochet AK for over a year now and love it. As soon as they get to be a little more available, I'm getting the Apache, but there are a couple of things about I'm hoping are changed in the Apache...1) It's freakin' LOUD 2) it won't feed nearly as fast with an almost dead battery 3) Ricochet gives me one to test.

Seriously, ( well, the loud was serious ) the Ricos are good loaders and the deflection engineering DOES work. I wouldn't trade my year old AK for any other loader out there right now; 'cept for the Apache!

InexactMelissa
02-20-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Kevmag
Can you just update the 9V to a 12V X-board? Probably cost no more than $10-20.

Yeah, but I would then have to buy another shell to fit the 2 batteries and larger electronics, which would be another 10-20 bucks, and at that point, I would just have spent the same amount to buy a whole new one already put together.

felony
02-20-2004, 08:18 AM
where can you buy the new rikochets?

i have looked a bit, but decided they were not for sale yet.. lol

thanks
dna

MMM
02-20-2004, 10:34 AM
A friend of mine has the Apache (sponsored so he has to use it). My husband borrowed it last weekend and loved it. It's still loud but for us rec ballers it doesn't seem to much of a problem. We'll be getting one (at least) which means it beat out our other hoppers. That would be 3 Halos and 2 12v x-board revvys. Maybe 3, I can't remember. Why is it with so many hoppers we only ever seem to have 2 that can fully function correctly?

Grasshopper
02-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by InexactMelissa

Yeah, but I would then have to buy another shell to fit the 2 batteries and larger electronics, which would be another 10-20 bucks, and at that point, I would just have spent the same amount to buy a whole new one already put together.
You don't actually need new shells (at least in my 9v you didn't). There is a little plastic slide that goes into a slot, and that's what takes up the room of the extra battery. I had an extra 9v, and my bros Revvy shells wern't holding up too good, so he just switched the electronics and took out the peice of plastic and everything works fine.

InexactMelissa
02-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Really? Well crap, now that I almost had my mind made up, I have another option.

Brennan
02-20-2004, 11:16 AM
I used an Apache last weekend and was very pleased. It did a good job keeping up with my Viking, felt much lighter than my HALOs, and best of all, it didn't break!!!

I was initially leary of it because it looks like it sits so high, but I compared it to a Revvie and it sits at more or less the same height.

I'm going to pick one up, because I 'm quite tired of my HALOs (3 of them in various states of disrepair): cracked shells, burnt out motors, and broken anti-jams, oh my!

B.

EDIT: LOL, honey! I didn't scroll down far enough to see your post.
:p

robdamanii
02-20-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm going to be the one eejit here who says "for the price of the apache, you'd be better off with a halo".

Course...um....lost my train of thought.

SN0BL1ND
02-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Hey, Brennan...if the Apache can keep up with your Viking; it should keep up with my Impulse... right?:cool:

MMM
02-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Eh, he's not exactly the fastest shooter in the west. I'll try it next time we're out and we'll see.

SN0BL1ND
02-20-2004, 01:46 PM
As long as it can keep up with 14bps, I'll be happy. I don't hit that ROF often, but when I do the Imp turns into a blender...

Brennan
02-20-2004, 01:55 PM
*Stands before the assembly*

"Yes, I admit it; my wife can shoot faster than I, with considerable ease."

:eek:

Seriously though, I REALLY do think the Apache looks to be a good, all-around choice.

B.

evan123
02-20-2004, 02:22 PM
I used to have a rico AK but the thing just was abnormal on my gun. It looks over sized and too long but the thing worked wonders. I used my revy and it eats batteries pretty fast but its a good size and holds more paint. Just you have to like the rico design before you buy it.

RoadDawg
02-20-2004, 02:29 PM
I think sneakyhacker has an apache. Have yet to hear any reviews on it but if it's a faster and just as good quality as my Rico 2k then it's gotta be good. I prefer my rico 2k over my Halo just due to weight and I don't shoot that fast to really need the Halo anyway.

InexactMelissa
02-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Well, the Apache is ordered. I'll post a report as soon as I get it!

InexactMelissa
03-11-2004, 08:51 PM
I know this thread is long since dead, but that's how long it took to get the darn thing here. It was ordered from Ricochet on the 20th of February, and after a couple weeks still hadn't shown up. So I called them and they sent out another which came today. Overall, I'm pleased despite the shipping hassel. We tested it tonight against a zboard egg by running them for 5 seconds each into a box and counting the balls; threw out the low and high scores, and got an average of 17.0666 bps for the egg and 16.266 bps for the apache. While the Apache didn't perform quite as well as the egg, I'm still pleased with the purchase because:

1. the overall cost of the egg (80 original + 30 z board, not including shipping) was $20 more than the Apache including shipping

2. the impeller setup in the apache (2 paddles high, 2 low) seem less likely to block balls in case of motor or battery failure, as opposed to the impeller blades all on the same plane with the egg.

3. lower target profile on the apache - while I don't know yet if the thing really deflects hopper hits as the company claims, and it sits just as high as the egg, the shape is most certainly less of a target.

I am a bit wary about wasting paint in reloding during a game...it seems like that since the bulk capacity sits more flat along the length of the gun, you might have to either waste some paint reloding quickly or rock it back and forth a bit to get a whole pod in at once.

Of course, I still haven't gotten to play with it for real yet. We'll see how it does then.
:)

No sKiLLz
03-11-2004, 09:28 PM
I can't believe out of all this advice and NO ONE brought up the Halo TSA!!! :eek:

68magOwner
03-11-2004, 10:19 PM
just scored an apache off of ebay for $50 shipped, lookin foreward to getting it