PDA

View Full Version : built in chrono

RingOfScale
02-19-2004, 09:13 PM
i always thought it would be cool to hav ea gun with a built in chrono, and suposidly the new odyssey/dragun gun is supose to have it as a feature ( not on the first guns, but sometime later this year ) ...

Seems like it would be usefull ... say the field speed limit is 270 FPS, just select 270 on the LCD screen of the gun, and the gun would chrono a string of 5 of your shots ever 200 or 300 shots, and then adjust the guns velocity to keep it as close to 270 FPS without going above it. You could shoot all day long and not have to bother checking ur guns speed. Seems like a cool idea to me, but would probably eat batteries up pretty fast.

What do you guys thing, will it work ? will it catch on ?
-RingOfScale

tony3
02-19-2004, 09:15 PM
That new gun thats coming out is suppose to have one, check warpig in the mgo tradeshow pics

Kevmaster
02-19-2004, 09:19 PM
well..

it would make aftermarket barrels somewhat hard prolly...

otherwise, it would be a kickin idea

RingOfScale
02-19-2004, 09:25 PM
lol tony did u read the whole post, considering i mentioned that new gun in the first sentance or something ? and wow ... like a couple minutes and already a couple replies, lots of people on these forums hehe

skife
02-19-2004, 09:36 PM
I wonder what they had to pay smart parts for the patent to that?

Ov3rmind
02-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Actually, there was a gun that used a built in chrono, but it never hit full scale production (Cyber 9000).

It is a neat idea, but not necessary. It would make aftermarket barrels a little more difficult, and the option of cheating through your electronics would increase exponentially.

Chojin Man
02-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind
It is a neat idea, but not necessary. It would make aftermarket barrels a little more difficult, and the option of cheating through your electronics would increase exponentially.

I don't think that something like that would ever replace a chrono station...just something more for the convience aspect.

68magOwner
02-19-2004, 10:01 PM
you would still have to chrono, i can only see it being really usefull to those who play bandit ball and tehre are no chrono's

RingOfScale
02-19-2004, 10:27 PM
ehh ? sure, as u said it would make cheating easier, BUT it would also make it so that it would be harder to lie about it, no one could claim that "my gun most have heated up" or some **** like htat, if you caught someone with that device on their gun and their gun was shooting 20 FPS over the limit, you wuold know they were purposly cheating, so you culd assign harsher penalties etc,

tony3
02-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by RingOfScale
lol tony did u read the whole post, considering i mentioned that new gun in the first sentance or something ? and wow ... like a couple minutes and already a couple replies, lots of people on these forums hehe

Opps, I didn't know oddessy was making it. I thought it was some other company.

billmi
02-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind

The increased chance of cheating was my initial thought, but on reflection it doesn't at all. Any gun where the electronics control dwell time can have trick software - regardless of whether it's able to check the velocity and make 100% sure it's under 300 when in "legal" mode and the cheat is de-activated. A chrono feedback system can decrease the chance of accidental velocity spikes, but it won't increase the capability for someone to write cheater software.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills