PDA

View Full Version : Evil Omen...anyone have an opinion

member#10,261
02-19-2004, 11:31 PM
I am wanting a nice mid level electro and stumbled accross the omen. I looked at one at a local shop, but I don't remember it because I was not realy interested in it at the time. Yes I did a search, I read all the posts, but they are all old and I want some newer input. I would ask on PBN but yall know how they are *wink*. NEway...I am basicaly asking for reviews from anyone who has used/looked at/herd about/or owns one.

Thanks Fellaz,
M

tyrion2323
02-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Hey Member,

I own an Evil Omen. I love it. There are a lot of people on these forums who are going to say crap about them - they don't own them, and most of them haven't ever used one.

I'll break it down for you:

PERFORMANCE:
-The marker is capped at 15 bps, but there is a $50 upgrade that is uncapped, I believe. I have never had problems with the cap, so I don't mess with it.

-The marker operates like a mixture between a Spyder and a cocker. In firing the ball, it operates like a cocker. It is a closed bolt, fairly low pressure marker. The internals are easy to remove, and look similar to a Spyder's internals.

-The trigger takes a bit to get used to, but once you figure it out, it's easy to rip out strands of paint very quickly. The CAM feed is a simple yet amazing idea. It loads one ball fully into the chamber and then fires it.

MAINTENANCE:
- The regulator will, as all regs do, take some breaking in. The marker, out of the box, will need to have a lot of air fired through it so that the internals break in and the marker properly recocks, fires, etc.

- Velocity and Recock are extremely easy to set, which is nice because you don't have to remove anything like a normal cocker. Just turn the reg (which has a tourny lock) and adjust the recock.

PROBLEMS:
- Well, like I said, it takes some time to break in and get used to. The milling is not so hot, but that can be redone. It's a medium-loud marker, as it's louder than a cocker or an imp, but quieter than a Spyder.

FOR THE PRICE OF $450, the OMEN ROCKS!

http://www.elementpaintball.us/Gallery/Omen1resized.jpg

member#10,261
02-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your review mate...that is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

I have a few Q's...
How well dose it run on CO2?
Can you give me a comparison on weight?
(heavier than spyder, lighter than classic mag, close to cocker)
Is the bounce adjustable without the $50 PD thingy

thanks pal

Barfly
02-19-2004, 11:58 PM
You might want to look at getting a B2k. I would recomend getting an 03 or newer, so that you have the good board and the better trigger frame. I got mine NIB off of ebay for $330 and I have seen them even go cheaper, just have to look around. It is always nice to find an underappreciated gun, so that the resale sucks and can be taken advantage of.

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Hey man,

Well, it's probably about the same weight as a Spyder - maybe a little less. I've never run it on CO2, and I'm guessing that your best bet is to pick up at cheap nitro tank if you can't afford a carbon fibre one. It gets quite a few shots off my old 45/3k tank - enough for three games - probably 700 rounds or so.

I'm not sure about the bounce - I've never tried to adjust it. It's not really meant to be a fully adjustable board - it's no-BS only, I'm pretty sure, because there's no LCD to adjust things. It's straight up one-pull-one-ball.

member#10,261
02-20-2004, 12:10 AM
I have a HPA tank, I use CO2 when my HP runs out. O well I guess I will just have to get another one:cool:

equal to or less than a spyder, that is excelent!

So the stock board is like one pull-one shot-no bounce. I have had a few electro spyders and clones so I guess it is like that eh.

I'm not realy digging the B2k's right now. I am looking for something "new" ya know. But then again I am also looking for a mid level electro;) So...I guess I will have to research the B2k now:D

member#10,261
02-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Plus the omen dosen't chop...or at least thats my understanding

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Here are some vids man. I couldn't gas it up, as I'm in my dorm room and it's 12:14 am.

However, I have a video of the cam feed, the trigger and the gun in general.

Jacob

www.elementpaintball.us/Gallery/Camfeed.MPG
www.elementpaintball.us/Gallery/Closeup.MPG
www.elementpaintball.us/Gallery/Trigger.MPG

Enjoy!

Jacob

member#10,261
02-20-2004, 12:17 AM
thanks brah...gimme a min to check it out

"The page cannot be found"--for all 3:(

Halliday
02-20-2004, 12:18 AM
You want opinions? The feed system is too funky and over complicated.

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 12:20 AM
And your experience with the Camfeed is what? You obviously don't understand it, or you wouldn't be saying that. It's super-simple, and I'm surprised it wasn't ever done before.

Jacob

member#10,261
02-20-2004, 12:21 AM
and vert feed isn't? just kidding

But do you think that alone is big enough to not presue it?

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Member - you check out the vids? They are working now.

The cam feed is pushed by the bolt, so it feeds EACH TIME the bolt moves. I had to move the bolt back and forth with my hand, so it looks slower than it is! :)

Don't let naysayers fool you - just as ACE, L10 and whatever else first caused a stir when they came out, Camfeed works perfectly fine.

Jacob

Halliday
02-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by tyrion2323
And your experience with the Camfeed is what? You obviously don't understand it, or you wouldn't be saying that. It's super-simple, and I'm surprised it wasn't ever done before.

Jacob

Hey, he asked for an opinion so I gave him one.

I've got plenty more, like one about people that post their sig multiple times in a thread.

Sure, when it works it may be all that but it's sure not as simple as a vert feed.

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Dude, it IS a vert feed marker. It feeds VERTICALLY into the cam chamber, which then sweeps it, BALL BY BALL into the breech.

Opinions only mean something if you have experience or evidence to back them up with.

I love my signature
|| || || ||
\/ \/ \/ \/

member#10,261
02-20-2004, 12:28 AM
when the "flap" has pushed the ball into the chamber is there enough room behind it for another ball to fit? Prob not or else it would not work, but I guess what I am asking is if the "flap" touches the next ball in the stack as it (the flap) moves back to ready position (away from chamber)

also, if the flap is in ready position and you tilt the omen to the left (left side on ground) can the ball roll into the chamber?

member#10,261
02-20-2004, 12:30 AM
guys...come on...don't bicker

I wanted to hear H's opinion, weather it was helpfull or not, intelegent or not, and wether he has used it or not.

the Vert feed thing was my poor attempt at a joke;)

member#10,261
02-20-2004, 12:31 AM
P.S.

That is what a sig is for:D :cool: ;) :p

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 12:33 AM
It works like this. The balls sit in the feed tube, and one is in the Cam chamber. When that ball gets pushed into the cam chamber, one flap stays back to hold the other balls up in the feed tube. Then, once the cam resets itself, the next ball falls into the cam chamber.

Lemme try to get a video of it...

Jacob

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Videos - server will be up in a second, I hope:

www.elementpaintball.us/Gallery/breechfrnt.MPG
www.elementpaintball.us/Gallery/Loading.MPG
www.elementpaintball.us/Gallery/Camfeed2.MPG

Lethargic
02-20-2004, 12:45 AM
My local shop owner/teammate has on eon the wall right now, and I get to mess around with it a fair bit. I really do like the Omen. At the very least it is original. The cam feed looks like it would work quite nicely, and doesn't look as if it would let the marker chop. HOWEVER, I've never seen the gun shoot anything besides air, so what do I know? I personally don't care for the back-block type back piece, because i tend to chip the living crap out of my lenses each and every time I shoot the thing. In therms of the trigger, I am tempted to rnk this one somewhere near the top. I can sweetspot all over it, and you can rake it over the little hump in the middle.

I say go with one, but definately shoot before you buy.

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 12:47 AM
I'm going to the field on saturday - i'll try to get a video of that!

Jacob

member#10,261
02-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Jacob-thanks for all you help, in just this short time I have decided I am going to get my hands on one of these. I guess a few of my guns are up for sale now:D

I have to go now, its 12:50 and I have a psych exam on the marrow!

I will def shoot before I buy If I ever get the chance.

Lee
02-20-2004, 05:56 AM
b2k3 rips out of the box. w/ pds chopping is a non issue.

i personally don't trust pmi/evil products. too many bad experiences.

Mateo
02-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Haven't played paintball for a few months, but I did happen to mess around with the first Omens alot, maybe things have changed so don't take my opinion into account too seriously.

Evil's Omen is a pretty interesting gun. It has the same blowback valve found in most stacked tube Spyders and so forth but instead of directly connecting the hammer and bolt the made the hammer basically in two rings with a recess to catch the bolt. Kinda difficult to explain but it is considered closed bolt(which by the way has no advantages at all compared to open so don't say that it is one;) ) Personally I hate the Cam system. More parts=More things to go wrong. My experience with the Cam wasn't all that great. I chopped 10 balls out of a 1000, about the same I get with a Spyder. You can't use Halos on it, only Revolutions or it will mess up the feeding. I don't like how the feedtube is off the the right side, reminds me of old standard mags. But I do give credit for trying to not go the vertical with eyes route that most electrical guns are moving towards. The trigger is ok, its a bit heavier than a spyder, and PMI/Evil customer service is quite nice.

For the money I say it should be priced around $250-300, your just buying the Evil name so they jacked up the price quite a bit. They slapped on a cam and different internals into a electro framed spyder and expect you to pay $300 more? Lunacy, madness, and ripping you off. For $450, I would look into getting a used ULE-Xvalved Mag, they go for that price on the trade forums. At least then you will never have to worry about chopping, its a smaller profile, pretty darn light, and you keep within the Automag family or a Bushmaster with PDS, those are quite nice.

rkjunior303
02-20-2004, 08:59 AM
I've been looking through markers all winter deciding what middle range electro to buy and I decided on the Omen myself.... I would suggest taking a read through the "Evil" forum on PBNation.. They have -PHENOMENAL- customer service. The Cam feed will not chop, if the recock pressure is set correctly -- worst case, you'll get barrel breaks if it's not... As for the gun itself, I have heard nothing but good reviews... Play with the gun, get used to it, then upgrade to the pdp chip from Chris @ pdp. It's a $50 upgrade which you WILL have to send him your trigger frame. Nice thing is, the installation of the chip -will not- void your warranty with Evil. The board is capped at 25bps, with adjustments to bounce available... The marker itself, there really aren't any upgrades yet.. The detonator regulator that comes with the gun works great (no need to upgrade). If you buy a used one, make sure you get the updated model with the magnesium (black) trigger along with the red back block with the nylon screws.. This keeps the block from twisting and potentially jamming the recock.. Aside from that, you may want to consider a new feed neck (imp/b2k threaded) such as the Check-it low rise... I am picking one up when I get back from my trip to Miami...

on a side note, there are some custom people working on stuff such as a blade trigger and a back block modification to make it flush cocking.

rkjunior303
02-20-2004, 09:00 AM
oh, and the gun runs best on something like an egg w/ zboard.. you don't want to use a halo on one of these.

member#10,261
02-20-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Lee
b2k3 rips out of the box. w/ pds chopping is a non issue.

i personally don't trust pmi/evil products. too many bad experiences.

how much would a b2k3 w/pds cost?

I have only had good expierence with pmi and evil.

UltimatePaintballer
02-20-2004, 12:42 PM
it looks like a nice gun, i was going to get one. but every time i go into my local fields proshop, theres an omen or two getting fixed. its like more omens then cockers! but if i had extra money i would buy one for the hell of it.

bunkermaster10
02-20-2004, 01:40 PM
The one I used ripped pretty decent. But it was chopping crazy balls.....:mad:

rkjunior303
02-20-2004, 02:22 PM
the recock pressure wasn't set properly then.. the cam feed will not chop if the pressure is set right.... Unless, he was getting BARREL breaks.. if it was chopping in the breach, there would be paint in the cam.

arsonpaintball06
02-20-2004, 05:11 PM
the new 1's with those weird colors are ugly as hell imo

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Member,

how's it going? Glad my vids helped. Don't get me wrong, I love bushmasters and all - but I love my omen just as much. Sometimes people have problems with the cam feed breaking balls. I will tell you why this happens, and what you need to do to stop it:

The cam is made from two "paddles" which are on a hinge. the hinge is moved by the bolt. When the amount of pressure to recock the marker is too much, the bolt is cocked too forcefully, and the cams are swung too quickly, resulting in the balls being slammed into the breech.

Once you learn to set the recock (it's SOOO easy!) this won't be a problem. The recock is a little screw which dictates how much air the valve will use to recock the bolt. You screw it in for less, screw it out for more... You want the least possible recocking pressure possible.

PMI/EVIL Tech is amazing. I have had nothing but good experiences with them. They are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, and they'll service anything in no-time!

Hope this helped.

Jacob

tyrion2323
02-20-2004, 06:46 PM
By the way, I don't want people to think that I am discounting other markers when I talk about my omen. Bushmasters are great markers, and with the PDS, they're serious contenders in the mid-range market. It is my opinion that a team with mid-ranged markers hold as great a chance as a team with "high range" markers. This is DEFINITELY not a bash against any other marker.

member#10,261
02-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Its going,

ane more question, How dose a stock omen compare to a stock B2K?

from what I know they are about the same cept the omen dosen't chop right out of the box, compared to the b2k's needing PDS to not chop.

camilion705
02-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Check this:

http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=ELbIJF3xGLOzWB3H_aH6Ikld1pPOz9DWq9Y=?Pro ductID=iGOsFAY72nIAAAD51BFb_PyG

I would go with the B2k3/4. Spend the extra money for PDS if you like, or buy a fast loader and limit the board to 2 or 3 bps slower than the loader. (I recomend a Halo B or eggII)

To me the Omen looks gross even though it has a cool/unusual design. The B2K3/4 is sweet lookin'!

EDIT: Make sure you click the picture on action village for a gallery of pics ofthe Bushy![IMG]

member#10,261
02-21-2004, 01:30 AM
I dig the body, but not that "block" btw the body and triggerframe.

and why spend $270 extra not to chop when the omen dosen't chop for the stock price?

I value input like 705's, thank you.

tyrion2323
02-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Hey - yeah, the Omen won't chop right out of the box. You just have to set the velocity/recock.