PDA

View Full Version : CNC Milling Machine Question..

Digits
02-20-2004, 11:27 PM
What program do you use to make the models that you want to mill in?

I think it's CAD, but i'm just trying to clarify this..

And if you already have the model done and everything, how long does it take to get it programmed into the michine and to mill something rather simple like a trigger..

Thanks..

Xyxyll
02-21-2004, 01:02 AM
I'm sure someone else will be able to answer in more detail, but here's a starter.

Most places use CAM. CAD is only the beginning in the process of machining. Some programs take your drawings and convert directly to CAM (I know Inventor does it).

Digits
02-21-2004, 01:51 AM
Drawings?? Intersting.. Thanks for the reply

argnot
02-21-2004, 01:53 AM
FeatureCam.......also use Modela, and Coral Draw:) dont ask

Digits
02-21-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by argnot
FeatureCam.......also use Modela, and Coral Draw:) dont ask

So would it be best if I just give them a drawing, and they can do the dirty stuff.. The only thing im worried about is the 60$ an hour.. Might really add up..

Fred
02-21-2004, 12:03 PM
just giving them a CAD drawing most likely won't cut it, since they'll have to convert it to whatever program they use to run their CNC and do the G-code...

if its a part getting machined by hand, a machinist should be able to work from a set of drafted drawings.

---Fred

Big'n slo
02-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Digits,
Check out www.cnczone.com its a site for hobby machinists.
You can use any type of CAD software to design the part. then a separate program for (g code) tool paths.
I learned on Mastercam and TurboCNC, both enable you to design the part and create the tool paths. I'm faster if i use AutoCad to design and mastercam to create the tool paths though.

Digits
02-21-2004, 01:44 PM
^^

Thanks for the info :D

So the tool path is basically what the computer tells the CNC machine to do?

Big'n slo
02-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Digits
^^

Thanks for the info :D

So the tool path is basically what the computer tells the CNC machine to do?

Basically, yes :D