PDA

View Full Version : best polishing method

barberjohn
02-21-2004, 11:28 PM
i am wanting to get my logic frame looking spiffy, and right now it is raw, unannoed with the machining lines in it. i would keep it like it is, but i feel i must do something, since i put my whole mag together and this just throws off the look. so, what do yall find is the easiest and best looking way to polish something aluminum. i have already tried doing it with 1000 grit sandpaper, and while i could have done it, it wouldnt look very polishy, just would get the machine lines out. so just post up whatever you use, whether it is a dremel or a drill press(ummm, yea). thanks!

Tunaman
02-21-2004, 11:38 PM
go 400 to 600 to get the milling marks out. Then onto the sisal wheel buffer with black compound. Finish with cotton flannel wheel with white compound for a mirror finish. Its a lot of work it you want it to come out right.

mark_426
02-21-2004, 11:57 PM
I use a wire wheel, and then use a buffer(tumbler) for shell casings (I reload rifle). Depending on the item some type of seal or coating.

Personally I don't, but maybe some Mothers Mag Polish or similar as well.

*actually, you might just want to listen to Tuna on this one ;).

barberjohn
02-22-2004, 06:22 PM
thanks for the help guys, i may just get it professionally polished, since i dont have any equiptment capable of doing that. hey tuna, would you polish it for me, if i payed a nominal fee? if not, do you know who can? thanks for the help.

rx2
02-22-2004, 06:55 PM
If you really have the time and the tendons (seriously), you can do it completely by hand. You can get the different papers you will need from a good auto supply store. It takes a lot of work, though, and works best if done wet, which is messy. You also have to change paper a lot. Doc Nickel wrote up his method for home polishing in a thread here.
I have done it by hand with excellent results, but I suggest you just have someone do it for you.

Butterfingers
02-22-2004, 07:01 PM
you might just want to polish and clear anno it...

That stuff wont stay poished for long.

the aluminum will oxidize and turn dull grey.