PDA

View Full Version : Let's make a change

tyrion2323
02-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Hey guys,

This was spurred by a different post, but it also reflects a lot of the frustration that we've had on the AO boards for a while.

We're all pretty sick of the "mags are for f*gs" and "mags are stupid/crap/blenders/whatever" rhetoric which still seems to be commonplace in the paintball scene today.

WE CAN CHANGE THIS!!! We don't need Tom to take the initiative! (READ: If Tom joins up...AWESOME!)

There are a few things we need to to do in order to combat the general misconceptions about 'mags and to help them sell more:

First:
Aftermarket bodies are KEY: Nicad's Karta/Dallara/Chord2 are some of the nicest looking bodies around for ANY MARKER. How can we integrate these into normal 'mags? Is there any way that the ULE Custom could come with the Karta? What would the price difference be?

Second:
We, AOers, need to do our best to get the word out. I'm not talking about simply posting on other boards or telling people at our local fields. I'm talking about advertising. I'm talking about whipping up our own pro-mag ads and circulating them. I have unlimited webspace - you need something PRO-AGD hosted? Talk to me.

I'm going to try my best to get working on this - that is, as long as it's okay with the main man (AGD).

Help me out with thoughts and ideas.

Jacob

OysterBoy
02-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Im all for it.

I think a short clip show showing AMZING mags, and mags firing, with cool music then at the end have "Nice, arent they? Oh, too bad. After all, mags are for ***s, right?"

lol.

Im a great/good/decent digital artist, I could whip something up, but Ill need some fodder.

Send me any pictures or clips of sweet mags in action.

Go Mags! :)

Digits
02-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Why do you guys care??

If were the only people with guns on the field not breaking down, then so be it.. Personally I like having a gun that everything thinks of as 'just a mag'.. Gives you the upper hand

OysterBoy
02-22-2004, 04:55 PM
For us, yes its great.

But think of TK and AGD. THEY know they make amazing products, WE know it, but sadly the masses dont, and thats what seperates AGD from the big money. Its not so much for ourselves (hehehhe...ours elves....) but for the hardworking elves and muppets at AGD.

Tunaman
02-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Custom RT Pros CAN come with the Karta right now. Problem # 2 solved. But they arent cheap. Email me.;) :D

angelbeast24
02-22-2004, 05:58 PM
i have nothing wrong with mags use to own one but ull never be able to change some1s views who cares n e ways as long as u guys like ur guns thats all that matters

NJPaint
02-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Digits
Why do you guys care??

If were the only people with guns on the field not breaking down, then so be it.. Personally I like having a gun that everything thinks of as 'just a mag'.. Gives you the upper hand

I care, because e-mags are great guns and some of the most looked over markers. Automags have a bad rep and I think that a simple change in that will bring more people to the mag family and AO.

tyrion2323
02-22-2004, 06:08 PM
I definitely disagree with you, Angelbeast. Just because some people think certain ways doesn't mean that they're not capable of change. I, too, used to believe that 'cockers were "more accurate." I didn't know about AO back then. In fact, I only knew what I had been told. Now I know a lot more.

gibby
02-22-2004, 06:19 PM
A lot of us AOers here in the west coast have tried our best to break the stereotypes about mags. It's very hard when you live in cocker country...and now, Timmies are also very popular amongst the players. We've gone out, played our best with our set ups, showed them around, and have had some positive feedback. However, none that would force someone to drop their current set up and "go for a mag."

Why? I think for the most part, these players who see our set up have spent quite a few on their own. Most are happy with what they have and can't afford to build another one. It's not so much that they aren't educated with mags, a lot of ask me about mine hardly starts off with a diss.

Sure some might have bought into the hype, but at the same time, those who know how to upgrade their markers to perform the way they want it have shown me that there are other markers out there that maybe I would consider owning/using myself.

Before, I used to be all for telling people about how good mags are. I've convinced a few to buy them, but the majority just sticks with what they have. This doesn't mean it's a bad thing. For me, as long as my marker is running and keeping up with other high end markers, I'm satisfied. Actually, I'm more than satisfied. Other players need to see rather than just hear about how good mags are. Just go out and play your hardest and you'll turn a few heads. That's the best you can do really.

Lohman446
02-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by NJPaint

I care, because e-mags are great guns and some of the most looked over markers. Automags have a bad rep and I think that a simple change in that will bring more people to the mag family and AO.

I personally think your wrong on that, price a two year old e-mag next to an e-bladed cocker, an 03 shocker, a 2yr old angel, etc. The e-mags price themselves into and above all but the "best of the best" markers in used condition. People know there value - but value does not equal popularity.

magmonkey
02-22-2004, 09:00 PM
would anyone be willing to put a little money up for a GOOD
magizine ad showing where mags are right now? i think that most people don't know of the newer upgrades or don't understand how they work

I cannot tell you how many times people have watched me rock the emag and say "that thing is fast too bad mags are blenders" and when I reply that it is a lvl10 gun and I have not chopped a ball in 20+ cases of paint there reply is that they dont care about lvl10 mags are still blenders .....argh

CrimsonGhost
02-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Im one of the reformed "Mags are for ***s" folks...I was speaking from a point of ignorance ...partialy my fault, but also due in part to the fact that I live in cocker land as well as Bob Long land.
There werent alot of Mag guys out this way when I started...even fewer shops that dealt with mags. ( Oh was the only guy that did deal with them...and I wasnt going to go over an hour out of my way to get my marker fixed if something went south...especialy from someone who word of mouth had as a ...less than honest person tp deal with)
So I stuck with cockers,Spyders and then evolved into Defiants and Timmys when they came about.( I live about 20 min from Bob Longs shop...so I had all my markers needs covered)

The only mags I had seen were the ones at the field...breaking paint and generaly making a miserable person out of the owner that day. I shot a few that were working and they didnt seems to fit me as well as the cocker I owned at the time... so I steered clear of them...even when the Emags came out ( rof is an issue for me) I wasnt impressed...too heavy,(compared to my Defiant at the time) I hated power feeds( though they were the fastest way to feed a marker....and had been proven so) and I didnt understand the valve systems on the mag....not to mention the electronics.
So I again stayed clear...happy and content in my ignorance.

I was also chased off by the Militant supporters of all things Mag...nothing bruns my butt more than someone who talks as if his word is gospel...and the Mag world seemed to be full of these types when I was learning about markers.
This has changed recently...not as many "Its the best...because I say so" types out there.( and the ones that are a dealt with fairly swiftly ;) AO seems to have evolved a bit and there seems to be more "multi marker" owners out there ...that have different tastes for different games.Pump,rec,Tourny and everything in the middle.The wide range of good markers seems to have opened the players mind to different ways of slinging paint.
Example...
Over the years I went through different markers..Matrix,Shocker (ok...ok...the only marker in the world that weighed more than the mags) original and 03,Timmys,Bushys,Cockers (ebladed and otherwise) Angels...ungh...the list goes on and on.
Then...about 2 months ago while in the throws of a major marker buying fit ...I bought an Xmag ( Multi breach blue to silver fade you know...the works.. )any way...long story short ...I played with it one day and knew this was the marker for me. The features on this thing was very very impressive to a gadget junkie like me ..ace with lvl10,electro and mechanical trigger,multi feed ...etc. I was in a state of earthly bliss. ( I LOVE redundancy systems)
So I promptly went out and bought 2 more as well as a nice emag to "loan out" to my non mag paintball fiends..err...friends.( I buy multi markers of the same type to try different things on ..ie...warp,bottles different lvl 10 settings)
AO was my guide the entire trip (still is) as well as an open mind to new ideas and thoughts ( as well as Toms tech stuff...lol...how cool is this info? )
Why the change of mind? Because of a change in attitude ..on my part and on the part of other mag folks.
On my part... Ive found my marker "needs" (and likes/dislikes) have changed over my paintball life...and my understanding or systems has evolved as well ...I wont claim to know close to everything there is to know about markers...but Im learning....in part because Im now open to new ideas.
I know there are better ways to do things...and that sometimes the best ways isnt the way thats the most popular... or the way that the public eventualy embraces.
But Im open to at least look at whats being done with a particular marker now...where before there was no way Id even think of another marker.
On AOs part...the change in attitude was a big factor in owning an AGD product. The acceptance of other ideas in these forums was a refreshing change from the there is only one best marker mentality of the other forums on the web. Most memebrs / posters here can filter out hype and straight out b.s. that is so very very common in this biz/game/sport/....etc. and are able to get down to the basic facts of a subject fairly quick and with a minimum of " Your a poop head" "My wee wee is bigger than yours " " Your gay" posts that infest the other "help" sites.

I think the only way to spread the word of mag is to first open the minds ...our own and others...to the different ideas that are out there.
Make it a kind of Advertising by association thing.
When you talk to a person about a Mag or other marker...talk with facts...not facts as your percieve them...just facts....dont beat them over the head with them..just put them out there...let them research the said fact on thier own. They will either see what your talking about or not....at least you put it out there for them to see. It may be something they have never seen or heard before. If they do get your point...it will be a Mag person or product they remember and associate with this fact later on.

Im glad I listened to someone about mags ...even though its so late in my marker buying life ;)

Sorry for the length of the post.

fdrsk8boarder
02-22-2004, 11:30 PM
dam that was a long post

well said hommie

Carbon
02-23-2004, 04:22 AM
Second:
We, AOers, need to do our best to get the word out. I'm not talking about simply posting on other boards or telling people at our local fields. I'm talking about advertising. I'm talking about whipping up our own pro-mag ads and circulating them. I have unlimited webspace - you need something PRO-AGD hosted? Talk to me.

I'm going to try my best to get working on this - that is, as long as it's okay with the main man (AGD).

The AO Army is beyond nagging. We are not AGD's marketing team. Post no bills.