PDA

View Full Version : news flash in the atlanta journal

bedspread
02-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Paintball: More Dangerous Than Meets the Eye

MONDAY, Jan. 5 (HealthDayNews) -- Paintball, an increasingly popular sport modeled on military maneuvers that involves "shooting" your opponents with pellets containing water-soluble paint, can be deadly to your eyes.

Because the pellets are small, about the size of marbles, they can hit the eyes dead-on without being deflected by the surrounding bones in the socket, a new study reports.

That small size, combined with a muzzle velocity of up to 300 feet per second, about the speed of some bullets, means if the paint pellet hits the eye directly, it can cause serious damage, even vision loss, the researchers say.

"It's the only thing that you shoot that quickly that's made to be shot at a person," says study author Dr. David Listman, a pediatrician who works in emergency room medicine at St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx, N.Y. "No one would think of using a BB gun, for instance, against a friend."

After treating two teenage boys who suffered serious injuries after being shot in the eyes on Halloween several years ago, Listman began to study the incidences of eye injuries attributed to paintball. The results of his study appear in the January issue of Pediatrics.

The number of eye injuries treated in emergency rooms caused by paintball accidents more than doubled, from 545 in 1998 to 1,200 in 2000, Listman found. Nearly half of the accidents involved children aged 15 or younger, almost all boys. The injuries included bleeding between the lens and the iris, called hyphema; detached retinas; scratches to the cornea; and cataracts, he says.

Listman and his colleagues did find safety equipment has improved significantly in the last few years. Those who participate in the sport at designated sites must wear specially designed face masks that protect their eyes. However, he says, children and teens often play the game without the protective equipment.

"Kids and teens are much less likely to play in organized places and more likely to play in backyards or the woods and either don't think they're going to get hurt or don't have the foresight to use protection," he says.

"They should know that even though the paintballs are made to shoot at people, they can cause serious harm. Parents should insist that children always wear an approved face mask," he says.

Dr. C. Bernadino, recently named an assistant professor of ophthalmology at the Emory Eye Center in Atlanta, treated half a dozen severe eye injuries caused by paintball when he worked at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Hospital in Boston. At his new practice, one of his partners recently treated a woman who was blinded in one eye when her son mistakenly shot her with a paintball.

"We see damage directly to the eyeball and also to the eye socket, which can be fractured," he says.

Bernadino himself played paintball in college and says eye protection is a must.

"When you get hit, it hurts. You can get bruises on bare skin, so imagine what it does to your eyes," he says.

More information

A review of paintball safety can be found at The Nemours Foundation. For recommendations on eye protection for a variety of sports, visit Vanderbilt University.

http://www.ajc.com/health/content/shared-auto/healthnews/eyes/516776.html

lamby
02-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by bedspread
Paintball: More Dangerous Than Meets the Eye

That small size, combined with a muzzle velocity of up to 300 feet per second, about the speed of some bullets, means if the paint pellet hits the eye directly, it can cause serious damage, even vision loss, the researchers say.

"No one would think of using a BB gun, for instance, against a friend."

[/url]

This is funny, We used to play with BB guns in the woods, all we used for protection is racketball goggles and our camo. We had a "no head shot rule" for either head, but that was it.

I would also like to know what bullet shoots at 300fps. My 30.06 shoots at 2790fps muzzle velocity and a 22 short (smallest bullet I know) of shoots at 1010fps What are these "researchers" smoking? Hell, even my old RWS pellet gun shoots at 1200fps!!!

I love the ignorance of the media... And I work for a TV station :rolleyes:

Z-man
02-23-2004, 03:37 PM
HOLY CRAP! I am so glad we have people like this to warn the public! I never even saw the warnings on the boxes of paint, markers, barrels, CO2 & HPA tanks, masks or anything like that!

Perhaps they are just running out of things to research?

lew
02-23-2004, 04:09 PM
I had no idea paintballs could cause eye damage.
Well, now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
;) :)

Even .38's are faster than 300 fps. Heck, my BB gun can shoot faster than that (well over 1000).

bedspread
02-23-2004, 04:15 PM
i have a 25 auto that will not hit anything over 20 feet away and it shoots faster than 300fps
if i take it to the shooting range (very rare) if i aim at the roof i can hit a 50 foot shot

Despoiler
02-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Hmm I better start wearing a mask.

bedspread
02-23-2004, 04:38 PM
might help

wageslave
02-23-2004, 04:54 PM
An M203 grenade launcher has a muzzle velocity of 246 fps. ;)

Thourne
02-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Most air (using 12g's) powered bb & pellet guns fire at 450 fps. I once had a bb gun I had to pump and it said in the manual that it shot 440 fps. I don't know any powder guns that shoot under 900 fps and most shoot at or above 1200 fps. I know my 9mm shoot at 1250-1400 depending on ammo type and with high velocity ammo it shoot 4500-4700 fps. (This is why I love having a chrono so much!)

So I really doubt this doctor and this author did much "research" on the difference between pb and real guns. It sounds like all the research was done what a pb does to the eye. This bothers me, as someone who must do research to further my carreer I know this doctor shouldn't have made any generalizations in a journal article without having sound proof to back himself up. And this is bad press for the sport. Since he was a former player he should have prefaced his entire finding with a statement saying how all of these results were obtained after these kids failed to follow all safety precautions.

-=Squid=-
02-23-2004, 07:06 PM
How did these people actually make it through college? No way I would want somebody this dumb operating on me. Thank you captain obvious! :rolleyes:

NGp8ball
02-23-2004, 07:30 PM
I agree

MONDAY, Jan. 5 (HealthDayNews) -- Paintball, an increasingly popular sport modeled on military maneuvers

shows how much that guy knows or even how much he researched.

dansim
02-23-2004, 07:48 PM
the writer of that article was imeaditley run out of town, when reaching a nearby cliff he quickly fell to his doom, when his family was contacted for a comment, they said he must of looked down..and he was falling at aproximetly 7fps the speed of most bullets:rolleyes:

ramennoodles
02-23-2004, 09:17 PM
i have a 25 auto that will not hit anything over 20 feet away and it shoots faster than 300fps
if i take it to the shooting range (very rare) if i aim at the roof i can hit a 50 foot shot
man you just have bad luck with all markers/guns you pick up, eh?

dansim, that was great.

bedspread
02-23-2004, 09:35 PM
no i just have trouble with crap

if its a good item like my m1 garand or my tippmann im good to go

personman
02-23-2004, 10:09 PM
I hate AJC. They have good comics though :cool:

robdamanii
02-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by dansim
the writer of that article was imeaditley run out of town, when reaching a nearby cliff he quickly fell to his doom, when his family was contacted for a comment, they said he must of looked down..and he was falling at aproximetly 7fps the speed of most bullets:rolleyes:

Acceleration of gravity is -9.8 m/s, which is roughly 32.5 fps.

He'd be going a lot faster, something like...19.6 m/s or something. Someone else can figure the math.

dansim
02-24-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by robdamanii

He'd be going a lot faster, something like...19.6 m/s or something. Someone else can figure the math.

you ever seen that comedian with the dummy peanut, the wuzzle?

"Vroooooooooooooooom!!!!"*streaks hand over his head*:p

shartley
02-24-2004, 09:01 AM
The biggest problem with articles like those for me is not that they are written by idiots who don’t know the first thing about the subject matter… but that there are idiots out there that believe what they hear as long as it is coming from “the news”.

I don’t take anything written, or broadcast at face value. Because most of the time FACTS don’t tell the “truth”. And misrepresentation sells papers, and air time.

Hexis
02-24-2004, 09:02 AM

Nevermind the fact that the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, not m/s. It's really quite different.

robdamanii
02-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by dansim

you ever seen that comedian with the dummy peanut, the wuzzle?

"Vroooooooooooooooom!!!!"*streaks hand over his head*:p

Erm, it 'twere a joke. Or somethin.

Originally posted by Hexis

Nevermind the fact that the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, not m/s. It's really quite different.

This is why I'm not a physics major, and why I only got a C in it. :P

dansim
02-24-2004, 10:32 AM

Erm, it 'twere a joke. Or somethin.

;)

Dryden
02-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Setting aside how completely wrong the ballistics analogies in this article are, I don't have a huge problem with it. It obviously reads as an alarmist warning to paintballers, but the fact remains that this article was printed in the Atlanta Journal, not Action Pursuit. The majority of kids aren't reading the daily newspaper, their parents are.

However wrong the article might be in some (or many) respects, if it makes a mother wonder, 'Does my kid even own the correct goggles for this?' then it is effective enough.

Teens aren't going to heed the warning labels on the products they buy. If this article causes ONE parent to reevaluate their teen's safety regarding paintball, and saves one kid (and the peers in his or her clique) their vision, then I'm all for it.

lamby ... yup, BB guns, bottle rockets, roman candles ... my friends and I shot everything at each other when we were growing up. My mother had two nervous breakdowns, and that was only from the things she knew I was doing! :D

paint magnet
02-24-2004, 10:59 AM
.22 bullets with primers only (read: no powder) fire at 500-550 fps...so I too am wondering where they get the 300 fps/firearm illusion.

Odder
02-24-2004, 11:41 AM
"No one would think of using a BB gun, for instance, against a friend."

How many times I can remember people talk about BB gun wars when they were young when I bring up paintball. Kids will always do what the parents least expected !!!

lamby
02-25-2004, 03:03 AM
Dyden: Off topic, but we used roman candles also. Until I had a blow out of the side and got a phospher burn. That sucked and ended that little game

Thinking about velocities, I wonder what my potato launcher shoots at. My launcher can out shoot my paintball gun by at least double the distance, and that is powered by propane.