PDA

View Full Version : Southpark and Canada

Barfly
02-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Does Southpark play in Canada? That would be hilarious, especially if Southpark the Movie played in their theatres.

RT pRo AuToMaG
02-24-2004, 02:28 AM
lol! life's mysteries. I'd imagine that it does....I wonder if the people take it with good humor or if they get pissed?

Sooky
02-24-2004, 02:33 AM
We do get Southpark here. I don't watch it myself though.

Originally posted by RT pRo AuToMaG
I wonder if the people take it with good humor or if they get pissed? Why? Do they make fun of Canada? For the most part Canadians are just happy to be noticed; I don't think many would care.:)

RoadDawg
02-24-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Sooky

Why? Do they make fun of Canada? For the most part Canadians are just happy to be noticed; I don't think many would care.:)

They make fun of anyone they can. That's the beauty of South Park.

RT pRo AuToMaG
02-24-2004, 03:00 AM
We do get Southpark here. I don't watch it myself though.

Why? Do they make fun of Canada? For the most part Canadians are just happy to be noticed; I don't think many would care.:)

Yes, if you watch the movie you will know what I'm talking about :D :eek: . It is all in good humor though...or at least I think it is :confused:

Acer12
02-24-2004, 03:10 AM
Southpark always makes fun of canadians and jews and anybody else they want to.

bunkermaster10
02-24-2004, 03:15 AM
lol, Southpark is great. The way they make fun of everyone. Mostly jews and canadians though....hehe

BLAIM CANADA!

Barfly
02-24-2004, 03:29 AM
haha don't forget the "All About Mormons" episode.

Joseph Smith Dumb d-dumb dumb dumb.

I also like the freak strike episode
"Oh yeah, I run with 12 gang and we only comit hate crimes, Whotevah I do whot I wont."

Thordic
02-24-2004, 09:24 AM
For the most part Canadians are just happy to be noticed; I don't think many would care.:)

Hahaha, best quote ever.

Strider
02-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Yes its played up here, both the series and the movie. :) Nobody I know takes offense to it. Lets face it, if your alive theres something to be offended by in that show. :D

Slimm Jimm
02-24-2004, 10:39 AM
I have yet to be offended by the mormon stuff. of course, if you exactly what their getting at it tends to aplify how hilariously stupid Southpark is.

Dryden
02-24-2004, 11:28 AM
What makes the Canadian reference so silly is that Canadians are the only group on the show that are animated differently. Every ethnic, racial, or religious group is done in the same style, but boy, are those Canadians different!

For those who don't know, Terence, Philip, and Kyle's adopted baby brother are Canadian. Notice the animation for their heads ...

Eric Cartman
02-24-2004, 11:53 AM
South Park is well loved here in Canada. The vast majority of us have a good sense of humour and we can take a joke.

I've got a question though. Has anyone ever heard a Canadian (unless they were imitating a Scottish person) say "aboot"? I really have no idea where this came from. It doesn't offend me, but it really puzzles me because I've never heard anyone here say "aboot". What's up with that?

Blame Canada!

Terrance & Philip rock...Sorry about the Celine Dion thing though!

BobTheCow
02-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Dryden
What makes the Canadian reference so silly is that Canadians are the only group on the show that are animated differently. Every ethnic, racial, or religious group is done in the same style, but boy, are those Canadians different!

For those who don't know, Terence, Philip, and Kyle's adopted baby brother are Canadian. Notice the animation for their heads ... Yep... lol one of my favorites is the Wizard of Oz spoof where they all have to go to Canadia to talk to the new Prime Minister about getting Kyle's brother back, and it's really Saddam behind the curtain... man what a great show. :)

**edit** Cartman I haven't, although appearantly I say that, and people all the time ask me if I'm Canadian... *sigh* But you all DO say 'eh'!!!!
:p

Dryden
02-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Eric Cartman
I've got a question though. Has anyone ever heard a Canadian (unless they were imitating a Scottish person) say "aboot"?I haven't heard a Canadian accent like that, but I imagine if you took a sample from across the country, you'd find a region or province like that.

I don't know, but do people from Winnipeg (or in Manitoba) have that accent? Americans from North Dakota and northwest Minnesota certainly do.

Eric Cartman
02-24-2004, 12:21 PM
I don't know, but do people from Winnipeg (or in Manitoba) have that accent?

Not really. People from the prairies and the Western provinces all pretty much sound the same. The only unique accents we have are from the East coast and Quebec. Aside from that, we're all pretty much the same eh. :D

The U.S. seems to have much greater differences in accents depending on the region. I'm not sure why we're not affected that way quite as much. It's interesting though.

Barfly
02-24-2004, 01:29 PM
I've got a question though. Has anyone ever heard a Canadian (unless they were imitating a Scottish person) say "aboot"?

Everytime I go to Canada. I am not sure if you have heard a Canadian hick talk, but it is even more of a difference than regular Canadians compared to regular american lingo and american hick.

its aboot time the snow went away, aye.

Now I have a question is the word aye or hey that Canadians alwlays use? I have asked a Canadian this before I think he said hey, but I was drunk and can't remember.

Sparq
02-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Anyone who could be offended by jokes about their country probably wouldn't be watching anyway, since the rest of the show would likely offend them even more. As for me, it's hilarious.

Originally posted by Barfly

For the record, I have never heard anyone talk like that.

spantol
02-24-2004, 02:35 PM
I used to hear this on Canadian imports like "You Can't Do That On Television" all the time. I'd imagine one of the reasons it's unfamiliar to you is that the written approximation "Aboot" is a little extreme; it's somewhere between that and the more Midwestern "Abowt." Similar to the difference between the Midwestern "sar-y" versus the Canadian "sorery."

I've got a question though. Has anyone ever heard a Canadian (unless they were imitating a Scottish person) say "aboot"? I really have no idea where this came from. It doesn't offend me, but it really puzzles me because I've never heard anyone here say "aboot". What's up with that?

Sooky
02-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Now I have a question is the word aye or hey that Canadians alwlays use? I have asked a Canadian this before I think he said hey, but I was drunk and can't remember. It's "aye" as in "pay", or rather, as in the letter "a".

"That's pretty sweet, eh?"

tool
02-24-2004, 03:24 PM
I never heard anyone say aboot either ... but then again not many english hicks live by here, mostly french ones.

Brak
02-24-2004, 03:26 PM
i was up in quebec at tremblant and these 2 guys were saying 'aboot' alllll over the place. but they were from out of town because nobody else sounded like that, it being french and all

f3rr3+
02-24-2004, 04:41 PM
you guys make it sound like the united states is never being made fun of :rolleyes:

oh... and south park is by far the greatest show the world has ever known. <---- emphasis period

redzone
02-24-2004, 05:00 PM
south park rocks

any cripples in here wanna start a club called the crips??

Barfly
02-24-2004, 11:35 PM
The people in southern BC say aboot all the time. If you live in canada and never heard aboot go to Red Mountain, plenty of it around there for you.

Sooky
02-25-2004, 05:10 AM
The people in southern BC say aboot all the time. If you live in canada and never heard aboot go to Red Mountain, plenty of it around there for you.
Red Mountain? By Rossland and Trail? Hahaha, I've been there dozens and dozens of times (great snowboarding)! Noone says "aboot" there! I grew up in the West Kootenays (southeastern part of BC), and never once in the 20 years I spent there had I heard anyone say aboot. "Eh" yes, "aboot" no. Everyone says it a-bowt - like "out".

Wait, maybe you heard the old Russian Doukhobors! Did these Canadians have thick russian accents? Maybe you heard some of my family!:DI don't recall aboot though... well... maybe.:confused:

Crimson_Turkey
02-25-2004, 04:00 PM

I'm a Scott and I have never heard any Scottish person that was not imitating a Canadian say "Aboot." Who actually does say this?

SlartyBartFast
02-25-2004, 04:06 PM
http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-72891/CanadianClub/CCsales/ad.html

mcveighr
02-25-2004, 04:18 PM

It's spelt "eh", we're not pirates.

*captain_cox*37
02-25-2004, 04:27 PM
haha don't forget the "All About Mormons" episode.

Joseph Smith Dumb d-dumb dumb dumb.

I also like the freak strike episode
"Oh yeah, I run with 12 gang and we only comit hate crimes, Whotevah I do whot I wont."

Dude the mormon episode was so great cuz I have so many mormon friends. That story is pretty much the same as what they believe too. ;)

That was a pretty funny video cept' I didnt get when he said "CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!". What north america is he talking about?!?! Can't be the one that includes The United States Of America. I mean who cares how big ur country is if it is ALL ICE! lol jk, ;) No wonder u guys invented hockey. ;)

xXHavokXx
02-25-2004, 04:41 PM
I have heard a canadian say it! I was making calls for Equation Designs and called up a canadian paintball company. The girl who answered the phone said "can i ask what you are calling aboot". I started to snicker , then shes got the phopne on the desk or something and she said in the background "There is someone calling aboot barrels by Equation" At this point i was laughing so i regain my composure and she calls back. We agree on some stuff and she says:"Well ill talk it over with the guy who does the ordering and we will give a call back aboot this another time".

At this point all the guys in the shop had their ears by the phone because iw as laughing so hard so they heard this one and erupted

SlipknotX556
02-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Showing the South Park movie in Canada is like showing The Patriot in England.

mikey101
02-25-2004, 09:19 PM
I live about an hour away from southpark, colorado:D also went to the middle school trey parker went to.

Barfly
02-25-2004, 10:28 PM

Red Mountain? By Rossland and Trail? Hahaha, I've been there dozens and dozens of times (great snowboarding)! Noone says "aboot" there! I grew up in the West Kootenays (southeastern part of BC), and never once in the 20 years I spent there had I heard anyone say aboot. "Eh" yes, "aboot" no. Everyone says it a-bowt - like "out".

Wait, maybe you heard the old Russian Doukhobors! Did these Canadians have thick russian accents? Maybe you heard some of my family!:DI don't recall aboot though... well... maybe.:confused:

I think why canadians claim that they never have heard aboot is because they are conditioned to the word. Some people have thicker accents than others, some even don't even say aboot, but a lot do. Canadian accent sounds almost slightly norwegian to me. Nahh they weren't Russian, there are a lot of Russian fisherman in alaska, so I know what they sound like.