PDA

View Full Version : SP, the spool valve, and the patent

Lohman446
02-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Look... to those of you who like SP skip this, ok.

I have heard, that the spool valve, is just a minaturized copy of the thing they use to shoot t-shirts and stuff out to the crowd.

IS this true?

Who owns the patent, and is it buyable?

And how much fun could someone have?

skife
02-25-2004, 08:07 PM
how much fun could somone have.... with what?

FooTemps
02-25-2004, 08:10 PM
with the patent of course...

I wonder...since they did copy the spool valve design and all... and the function is similar to the matrix.... could dye sue them?

hitech
02-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Can someone explain to me what a spool valve is and/or how it works?

Lohman446
02-25-2004, 08:17 PM
The spool valve is the working part of the 03 shocker, and umm.. the impulse??? (not sure on that one). It was originally (as I understand it) used in those big air cannons that shoot out t-shirts to crowds. I have no clue how it works, just putting together some things I have heard from those taht know it better than I, and this patent issue popped into mind.

bleachit
02-25-2004, 08:23 PM
I think it was first used in paintball on the Nova line of markers.

Woogie12
02-25-2004, 08:38 PM
Yea, the spool valve is used in the matrix, and I think dye hold that patent. I know SP and Dye struck a deal, not sure if that was it though.

thei3ug
02-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Here's the scoop:
The Spool valve design is not new to paintball. it's a well known pneumatic system that was introduced to paintball by airstar.

Airstar was a company that, prior to paintball, made propane(?) powered cannons that launched T-Shirts at sports arenas using a spool valve. They adapted this design into the Nova, which went through numerous incarnations, and ended up as the Mayhem and Assault80 on the market now. Airstar is long gone.

The Spool valve was also used in a marker called the Omega, under a competing development in canada. it was sold to diablo, electrified, and called the Matrix.

The Matrix patent was sold a few times, last to Dye. Here's where the SP/DYE connection is. When SP sent out their Cease and Desists, they signed agreements with two companies, NPS and DYE. NPS is a major distributor of SP wares, no brainer there, mutual interest. Dye however has certain valve specifics that are used in the new Shocker, another spool valve gun. Another mutually beneficial deal was made, and Dye is waved from the chopping block, as is SP.

hitech
02-25-2004, 09:13 PM
I researched spool valves a little. The idea of the spool valve should not be patentable (but we know how that goes :rolleyes: ) for use in paintball guns. At least not the general idea of a spool valve. The specific one, maybe. There is a lot of prior art for spool valves.

It's interesting to me. A spool valve is the idea I had for an electronic paintball gun back in the earily '90s. I had no idea that someone what actually using something like that. :eek: I thought it was my idea.

tony3
02-25-2004, 09:50 PM
A spool valve is extremely similar to a mag design, except instead of a spring returning the bolt, air does. Mags, trixes, and shockers all use dump chambers, and air behind the bolt pushes it forward then when an oring seal opens up past a certain point the air fires.

Dayspring
02-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Functions alot like a cocker 3-way valve. The changing of air from one port to another moves the bolt. Except, this one has an air chamber behind it.

speedyejl
02-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Think about a spool like a wire spool or what not with a hole in the middle.

Imagine pressurized air on one side and a bolt with a tail blocking the air from getting through the hole. When the bolt moves forward the hole isn't blocked anymore and air rushes through and down the bolt hitting the ball. Bolt moves back air stops.

Wes Janson
02-26-2004, 12:50 AM
I'll bet Dye is kicking themselves in the arse for not exploiting the potential of that patent...

Crimson_Turkey
02-26-2004, 12:54 AM
I doubt the navy really cares about thier paintball related patent. The navy patented E-triggers before they were on the market. They just can't compete with privately owned buisnesses. We need to buy THAT patent and use it to assault smart parts.

Wes Janson
02-26-2004, 01:00 AM
Crimson...ahh, what exactly are you talking about?

Crimson_Turkey
02-27-2004, 05:48 PM
The navy has this patent http://airsoldier.com/~haveblue/tech/patents/US003695246.pdf dated June 10, 1971 that not only patents the idea of an eye in a feed system, but also you will notice in the bottom left corner of page 7 there are clear references to a "firing switch" which is exactly what SP is trying to regulate with thier patent.

danny_eva_01
02-27-2004, 07:07 PM
I thought WarHammer Paintball created the first co2 powered t-shirt launcher?

http://www.warmachinepaintball.com/