PDA

View Full Version : any 1 hear this yet

AUTOGUNNER69
02-25-2004, 10:04 PM
http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/av?query=paintball&invocationType=avTab./aol/remote_form.jsp

Jonesie
02-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Very sad. Need to be sure to use loc-tite on the lower pressure air tanks. ie. CO2

MrMag
02-25-2004, 10:13 PM
yes, happened last week near me. the tank unscrewed from the burret(the part that screws into the asa) and shot back. this was complete user error. for them to make a big deal about this, and not about firearms killing people is proposterous. it is tragic that this women died, but this article makes paintball look very bad, and it was not necessary to do so. to me it seemed like the article was made to make paintball look bad instead of reporting a freak accident in which someone lost their life.

sacpaintball.com had a tribute to her on their website.

AUTOGUNNER69
02-25-2004, 10:17 PM
this has potential to get ugly.

punkncat
02-25-2004, 10:45 PM
What a terrible accident.It is a shame to see the media put the spin on the sport of paintball, rather than it just being a freak thing.

-=Squid=-
02-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Ive heard about this, but not seen the video. Im just surprised that they put some actual tourney/speedball footage on there. Yes, you can go ahead and flame me for saying that instead of sorry. Thousands die every day, and this is no different. 5 deaths? Oh my... mabe we should investigate how many people have been killed in other sports?

ramennoodles
02-25-2004, 11:26 PM
anybody notice that two out of the three times when they zoomed and and said it was a CO2 cannister it was hpa? meh, that last line was a doosie, man. "you said it was the safest sport, and mom died"

-=Squid=-
02-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by ramennoodles
anybody notice that two out of the three times when they zoomed and and said it was a CO2 cannister it was hpa? meh, that last line was a doosie, man. "you said it was the safest sport, and mom died" Yes I always noticed that. Its a sad occurence, but they certainly could have done a better portrayal. But then again, why would people try to explain what they know nothing about anyways?

electriceel125
02-25-2004, 11:40 PM
This was on the news about two days ago. This was a freak accedent. I did a report on paintball for class and inshurance statisics show that paintball is safer than bowling. Dont ask me to find those i have no clue where i got them. Most likly someone messed with the valve on the tank and did not loc tite it back correctly.

Glickman
02-25-2004, 11:46 PM
lol, expecting the media to know anything or even try to get the whole/right story? that guy in the red orange whatever jersey with the hpa is a guy i know from my local field, if im correct, thats mario who plays for bada bing. I really think the problem is some of the companies who are more interested in making money by making tanks cheaper. Personally, i think that its in everyones best intreest if we get the restrictions for tank matinience and creation tighter and more strict. so what if youve gotta have ur tanked checked for $20-30 EVERY year, we need every good piece of media we can get. the sport of paintball is already on a clif dangling over the threat of getting banned, illegalized and whatnot, so if youve gotta take all the stickers off the tank to have it inspected once a year, isnt it worth it?

All my prayer goes out to the victims family.

yeahthatsme
02-25-2004, 11:49 PM
can cover the length of a football field in under a second!?!?! where are they getting their info...

but man thats really sad. i mean it was the kids birthday... and the kid who was taking the tank off of the gun must feel horrible...

ramenjames
02-25-2004, 11:58 PM
man ...i ****ing hate when the media trys to make this sport look bad....that was a freak accedent...paintball had no control over that

...this is sad and all ...but i just get so pissed when the media makes our sport look bad because of incedents involving paintball (things like this or people vandalizing)

man.....every summer for the past 3 years 1 person has died playing baseball here (Omaha NE) the reason was the ball hit them in the chest and caused their heart to stop....did the media make baseball look bad....NO!
hell there has to be atleast 5 times a week where a baseball bat is used to beatsome one to death or break out someones windows....once agian ...no negativity is directed twords baseball AT ALL!

god damn man...**** like this pisses me off ....****ing iresponsable (sp) media:mad:

elpimpo
02-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by yeahthatsme
can cover the length of a football field in under a second!?!?! where are they getting their info...

yeah dawg i was wondering the same thing. i was going to ask you guys if youve ever had a paintball go that far. but anyways that is totaly crazy.

bleachit
02-26-2004, 12:52 AM
after realizing I had clicked on the wrong vid, I deleted that post.. maybe I can get this right this time.

Originally posted by yeahthatsme

a football field is 300 feet in length. paintballs are shot at around 300 feet per second. so technically, if a paintball could travel 300 feet, and there was no friction or wind resistance, ie: constant horizontal velocity, it would travel that 300 feet in one second.

this is really tragic what happened. How could a CO2 tank just fly off the back of the marker?

Wes Janson
02-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Seems odd that it would go off in a straight line from the position it was being held in, and hit a person. It varies, but often people unscrew canisters with their gun facing upwards (especially with co2). If we assume a 10,000,000 player base, the death of 5 people gives you a .0000006 chance of dying. Woopity-frigging-doo. The odds are so low as to be unimportant to the player.

Aliens-8-MyDad
02-26-2004, 01:20 AM
honestly i dont think they made paintball look bad at all, it seems to me like the co2 is the culprit. i think they should ban co2 for its instability and have manditory use of HPA or n2. because when is the last time you have heard of a n2 tank comming apart and hitting someone in the head?

Rope a Dope
02-26-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Jonesie
Very sad. Need to be sure to use loc-tite on the lower pressure air tanks. ie. CO2

Can you like, shut up? This was discussed in the other thread about this and DOT does not recomend the use of loctite and the valves have a bleed hole to prevent this type of thing. So.. before we know the facts, shut up with your loctite crap.

Some speculate that the anti-siphon tube BLOCKED that bleedhole because it was improperly installed, that with the valve not being tight to the foot pound spec DOT requires might have been what caused this.

Original thread this should have been posted in. I guess the Search button is too hard for some to reach.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125502

-=Squid=-
02-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Aliens-8-MyDad
honestly i dont think they made paintball look bad at all, it seems to me like the co2 is the culprit. i think they should ban co2 for its instability and have manditory use of HPA or n2. because when is the last time you have heard of a n2 tank comming apart and hitting someone in the head? Never heard of it killing someone, but ive certainly heard a LOT more stories of HPA than Co2...

teufelhunden
02-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Y-Grip

Do your math! 100 yards equals 300 feet. Paintballs can travel up to 300 FPS! It's not rocket science. (3 feet per yard.) Thank you.

No, not rocket science, but it is physics. Air resistance is friction, friction will slow the paint because once it hits the porting in the barrel it's no longer got any propelling force..

Nice to see you jewie.

dyst0pia
02-26-2004, 05:21 PM
[i]because when is the last time you have heard of a n2 tank comming apart and hitting someone in the head? [/B]

Considering I have had two 4500psi tanks blow on me in the past two months...I find that comment rather amusing.

In both instances, the same thing happened as happened in this, the reg(pin valve for co2) unscrewed from the tank.

Yes, I had red loctite on it in both instances.

Think about it...does a gas at higher pressure have more potential to cause damage, or one at a low pressure. There we go.

Also, y-grip, its simple physics man. If you don't believe us, go find a physics teacher and have him/her show you just how long it would take.