PDA

View Full Version : Should I get my wheels painted?

Mossman
02-26-2004, 02:04 AM
You tell me.
Do you prefer this:
http://users.rcn.com/mossman11/wheels/side-car.jpg

or this:
http://users.rcn.com/mossman11/wheels/side-car-greenwheels.jpg

Thanks for your opinions :)

OfficerGoat
02-26-2004, 02:12 AM
All the same color looks tacky. Silver looks decent, simi-polished would look pretty sharp. I'm a fan of black wheels.... however I think it would be too dark for your ride.

Mossman
02-26-2004, 02:34 AM
I think all green would look bad, but something about that polished lip does it for me... ;) They're 2 pieces so keeping the lip in beautiful shiny order and painting the insides would be pretty easy. I dunno, I'll probably leave em as is, toss my SS exhaust on tomorrow and go intake shopping this weekend :) I think it's a nice option to have down the road and it makes the car stand out a bit more, but when cleaned up these wheels are too nice to go painting in my opinion :D

Big'n slo
02-26-2004, 08:45 AM
I voted silver, but i'm with officergoat.
I think black with the poolished lip would look sweet.

I'd also like to see "cheese colored" ?

AssassN
02-26-2004, 08:56 AM
If the color of the car was different it would look cool. Matching your wheels to your car color is hot. I have a picture I took of a green Ferrari with matching wheels. It's NICE.

AssassN
02-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Got it

Warning, may bring up X rated image.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=19267

This may bring up a pic that is bad for AO. I'm having some issues with image dump. It should, if all things go to plan, bring up a Ferrari.

Mossman
02-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Yea Assassn...but that's a ferrari :)

What'd you mean it'd look better if the car was a different color green? You think that my shade of green isn't compatible with color matched wheel centers?

shartley
02-26-2004, 09:38 AM
I say black with polished rim. Or even a charcoal gray with polished rim.

SpongeBobSquarePants
02-26-2004, 10:10 AM
I personally think sense you are going for the rally race look (I would say rice look, but its not a honda;) ) I would go with white wheels, I think they look pretty sharp, I also think you could get away with them and not be called a ricer. Just don't go super body kit or a spoiler thats bigger then the car :rolleyes:

Big'n slo
02-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Are you actually going to have these painted? Or are they going to be anodized or powdercoated?

shartley
02-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Big'n slo
Are you actually going to have these painted? Or are they going to be anodized or powdercoated?
Powdercoating IS painting. ;) You just paint with a dry paint, not a wet one.

:p

PyRo
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Make em black :)

Mossman
02-26-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm considering black.

White? ummm NO!.

I dont know how paint would hold up. See I can seperate the spoke portion from my wheel and I bet they could paint it and bake it on and it'd be pretty tough. I doubt they could make powdercoating match since matching paint perfectly even with the code is damn near impossible.

Spongebob what makes you think I'm going for either a rally or a rice look. First of all I couldn't imagine 2 more different looks...rally and rice. Functionality vs. form (bad...tasteless form).

I don't think dropping a quick car on quality gas shocks and H&R springs and putting on nice, lightweight wheels with stiff low profile tires qualifies as rice, and its certainly not "rally race".

Whatever :)

PyRo
02-26-2004, 02:13 PM
Powercoat black, it should hold up. It shouldn't be expensive to do. If you have an old oven, a compressor, and a powdercoat gun you could probably do it yourself.
Or atleast, I think thats what you need to powdercoat :)

AssassN
02-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Mossman
Yea Assassn...but that's a ferrari :)

What'd you mean it'd look better if the car was a different color green? You think that my shade of green isn't compatible with color matched wheel centers?

If you want my honest to god opinion about the color of your car... I don't like it at all. That's whay its your car and not mine. Personnally I don't think your green goes good with wheels.

land hurricane
02-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Leave them like they are, IMO.

Mossman
02-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by AssassN

If you want my honest to god opinion about the color of your car... I don't like it at all. That's whay its your car and not mine. Personnally I don't think your green goes good with wheels.

alright, i'll be sure to take my wheels off right away. lower rolling mass without em anyways...

AssassN
02-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Mossman

alright, i'll be sure to take my wheels off right away. lower rolling mass without em anyways...

Doh, painted was supposed to go before wheels. If you do go with that plan mind sending them too me?

Morally0Confused
02-28-2004, 01:20 PM
i got a red GTI and am planning on getting my wheels powder coated black or red. I aint to big a fan of the silver wheels, to many people got em

LeatherPants
02-28-2004, 10:21 PM
FYI if you repaint your Volks you will lose the decal on the rim. Mackin Industries (RAYS/VOLK importer) will not get you new decals.

Mossman
02-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by LeatherPants
FYI if you repaint your Volks you will lose the decal on the rim. Mackin Industries (RAYS/VOLK importer) will not get you new decals.

I don't think i'm painting them for now. either way, 1 of the stickers is already fubared, also people sell em on ebay I think and I'm sure I could get a sign shop to duplciate it in some heavy duty decal material locally.

Thanks for the heads up but i was aware ;)

LeatherPants
02-28-2004, 11:58 PM
Careful of the ones on ebay. Japan has a different way of making decals. They use a liquid rubber which is molded. They are not vinyl die cut stickers that most people have on their cars.

Reason why I know how difficult it is to get the decals is that one of my best friends is the sales manager at Mackin.

Mossman
02-29-2004, 04:06 PM
OK, thanks for the info, you've certainly thought about this more than I have :)

I'm currently getting some road case decals made for travel recording studio gear racks from work. This place like a mile away from me is doing it and they seem to do a damn good job and can do about anything. I'll mention it to em next time I go in there, I wonder how hard it'd be to find on the web or make a graphics file of the exact logo...Hrmm

sneakyhacker420
02-29-2004, 08:45 PM
do green and get some tinted windows! that'll be
[]D [] []\\//[] []D