PDA

View Full Version : AGD - Intelliframe manufacturing defect?

Gunga
09-21-2001, 08:22 PM
Just picked up my Intelliframe from the factory today so I could play with it this weekend. Marsha and Joanne are as nice as their reputations, BTW. :)

Anyway, after I installed the Intelliframe onto my Mag, I was attaching my Shocktech drop forward. Lo and behold, the screw holes in the IF weren't tapped deep enough, and there was quite a bit of slop. I was using screws that came with my bottomline adapter that worked perfectly with the stock Mag triggerframe.

I ended up stripping out a few threads from one hole as I cranked on it a bit, expecting there to be more depth into which to screw into.

I went to Home Depot and bought a couple washers (approx 1/8" thick) to serve as spacers. Not a big expense (a whopping $ 0.04), but a definite hassle.

Tom, do the Intelliframes require the use of shorter than standard screws to attach a drop forward? If so, mine didn't come with any. I called AGD's tech support and the fellow I spoke with wasn't aware of any special sized screws, if that indeed is the case.

It just might be that my particular Intelliframe has this defect. I'm not trying to flame Airgun Designs, I'm just trying to let them know of a possible defect that is easily fixable by whomever makes the Intelliframes for them.

Muzikman
09-21-2001, 09:17 PM
Thats common, my benchmark need shorter screws than my stock frames. The difference is the stock frames used nuts on the inside of the frame, you could use really long screws and they would still not bottom out. Your best bet is to run to the hardware store and buy the correct length screws, or cut the ones you got down with a dremel.

mikey101
09-21-2001, 09:27 PM
hey gunga - sorry this is way, way off topic, but in your signature, it has a quote of the President, it is the funniest thing i have ever read! I love it! I was just wondering when he said this? i would love to tell my American Government teacher, he would crack up. thanks!

Gunga
09-21-2001, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by mikey101
hey gunga - sorry this is way, way off topic, but in your signature, it has a quote of the President, it is the funniest thing i have ever read! I love it! I was just wondering when he said this? i would love to tell my American Government teacher, he would crack up. thanks!

I found it over at http://www.hardocp.com which is a computer hardware web site. They got it from somewhere...so I didn't actually hear President Bush say it...but even if he didn't, it sounds good, doesn't it? :)

mikey101
09-21-2001, 09:37 PM
I would have never thought of that, his logic is awesome!

AGD
09-21-2001, 09:44 PM
Hi Gunga,

There is no standard depth for threaded holes, we have to decide if they should go all the way through or not. In the case of the Iframe we felt it was better to keep them sealed because of the electronics inside. If you have problems we will replace the frame with the stripped threads.

AGD

jah871
09-21-2001, 09:50 PM
all u have to do is grind down the screws with a grinder. it is very easy i had to do this for a screw in my foregrip extender because it bottomed out. also had to do it for the front frame screw on my zgrip cuz it wouldnt allow the barrel to go in all the way. just go slow so u dont take to much off also keep it even,.

Gunga
09-22-2001, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by AGD
Hi Gunga,

There is no standard depth for threaded holes, we have to decide if they should go all the way through or not. In the case of the Iframe we felt it was better to keep them sealed because of the electronics inside. If you have problems we will replace the frame with the stripped threads.

AGD

Ah, the joys of a lack of standards. ;) I know all about that from my days as a commodity broker.

Thanks for the info Tom...I managed to attach my drop forward to the Intelliframe. We'll see how it holds up to a day of playing tomorrow instead of just going ahead and getting a new frame right away.

Oooooh! Post # 100! :D