PDA

View Full Version : Can a cop pull you over outside of his town?

Automaggin2
02-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Well, so I was driving home from work today, going the speedlimit......45 mph.....until the road curved a little bit. As soon as I make turn around the turn, the speed limit drops to 35, and what do you know, a cop is sitting right there and nails me. So he starts following me for about a half mile, I slow down to 35, and after we cross the border into my town, he pulls me over and writes me a ticket. $91.

I need a FOP card :rolleyes: *looks at mango* :D jp

shartley
02-28-2004, 09:00 AM
The simple answer is “yes” he/she can. Criminals often think that to avoid police all they have to do is enter into another jurisdiction. That is not true at all. And people often think that only police who are in their own jurisdiction can enforce laws there. This is also not true.

But I will not get into the intricacies of the issue, for depending on the situation, it can not always be a simple thing. And often times what is happening on the radio/computer in the officer’s car is taking care of any of those issues.

Just know the answer is “yes”.

1stdeadeye
02-28-2004, 09:00 AM
In New Jersey the answer is yes. It is because of reciprical agreements that townships hold. For instance Pitman has a very small police force. When they need help, the call in Glassboro. It's kind of like the agreements between fire departments.

Sorry bro, you are screwed.

Automaggin2
02-28-2004, 09:18 AM
Damn, I'll fight it in court. I doubt ill get any points if i ask to pay maximum fine.

Mango
02-28-2004, 09:50 AM
1STDEADEYE and Shartley are right. Yes he can. Look at any policemans badge in NJ, whats in the middle? The NJ State Seal. Giving any municple policeman full powers of arrest, etc. anywhere in the state. It's just that a certain area (his/her town or city limits) are the normal patrol duties and they can't run around in another town on purpose stopping people.

dansim
02-28-2004, 09:52 AM
in maine i belive it maybe set by counties, but in nj yer screwed

CasingBill
02-28-2004, 10:09 AM
I've got 3 FOP cards in my wallet. Never get to use them though.:p

dansim
02-28-2004, 10:10 AM
whats fop?

CasingBill
02-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by dansim
whats fop?

"Fraternal Order of Police"

thecavemankevin
02-28-2004, 10:33 AM
FOP....fraternal order of police???

shartley
02-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Yes... Fraternal Order of Police.

http://www.grandlodgefop.org/

FreakBaller12
02-28-2004, 10:55 AM
i am assumign that gets you out of the ticket?
Like a PBA card?

agdemagman69
02-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Does it get you out of tickets?

Mango
02-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Actually, it won't neccessarily "get you out of a ticket" but depending on whose name is on it, and if it is legit (there are ways to tell fakes from real ones) then it's up to the officers discretion to issue a summons or not. Will it usually help? I guess so. What helps the most? Being polite to the officer. That is always your best bet to just getting a warning or getting a lesser summons.

shartley
02-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by SprayingMango
Actually, it won't neccessarily "get you out of a ticket" but depending on whose name is on it, and if it is legit (there are ways to tell fakes from real ones) then it's up to the officers discretion to issue a summons or not. Will it usually help? I guess so. What helps the most? Being polite to the officer. That is always your best bet to just getting a warning or getting a lesser summons.
This is very true. And like I stated in another thread, I have not received a ticket since I was in my early 20’s. And it was not because I was not speeding, showed a badge or FOP card, or even mentioned my profession or former profession.

But on another note the easiest way to not get a ticket is to obey the law. ;)

thecavemankevin
02-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by shartley

But on another note the easiest way to not get a ticket is to obey the law. ;)

but what fun is that?:)

yeah the FOP card basically is like when you get one of those stickers saying you have donated money to the FOP or other police support groups. It simply shows the officer that you do appreciate the job they do. So that can certainly get you in more of "good graces" with that individual officer. Issuing a ticket is virtually always at the officers discretion. Variables can include if he/she has had a good day and if you are pleasant. Getting close to quota time can also affect if you get a ticket or not (if it is near the end of the month...it is less likely you will get off with a warning).

shartley
02-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by thecavemankevin

but what fun is that?:)

yeah the FOP card basically is like when you get one of those stickers saying you have donated money to the FOP or other police support groups. It simply shows the officer that you do appreciate the job they do. So that can certainly get you in more of "good graces" with that individual officer. Issuing a ticket is virtually always at the officers discretion. Variables can include if he/she has had a good day and if you are pleasant. Getting close to quota time can also affect if you get a ticket or not (if it is near the end of the month...it is less likely you will get off with a warning).
LOL But I am not the one complaining about being pulled over for breaking the law. ;)

I have never been upset about being pulled over (well once I was, but at myself, not the officer), nor would I try to “fight” a ticket that I not only deserved, but EARNED. :)

p8ntball1016
02-28-2004, 11:34 AM

LOL But I am not the one complaining about being pulled over for breaking the law. ;)

I have never been upset about being pulled over (well once I was, but at myself, not the officer), nor would I try to “fight” a ticket that I not only deserved, but EARNED. :) suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. i believe you, oh saint sam of traffic laws:rolleyes:

Gitaroo Man
02-28-2004, 11:40 AM
In California at least a cop can pull you over and give you a ticket but he can not arrest you. He needs to call one of that towns cops to do so.

shartley
02-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by p8ntball1016
suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. i believe you, oh saint sam of traffic laws:rolleyes:
Did you even read what I wrote?

I have been pulled over quite a few times over the years. What does that tell you?

But I will not complain for getting a ticket that I EARNED. Unlike some, I take responsibility for MY actions and don’t try to “get out of” taking responsibility for them. That does not make me a Saint. So roll your eyes all you want.

1stdeadeye
02-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Well the FOP/PBA cards are a bit different then the stickers. Mine has gotten me out of speeding tickets and a few other things. You had better know the officer who signed the back though!:D

Morally0Confused
02-28-2004, 01:43 PM
listen in NJ when we go to court for a moving violation , we get in line ASAP to see the prosecuter(sp). and ask for a No point ticket cost here 150 plus 30 in court fees. You get like 3 of them every 5 years. and if you try to use more that ticket becomes like 6 points automatically. Needless to say Ive used my 3 already and almost tried to sneak a 4th one in

Morally0Confused
02-28-2004, 01:44 PM
also when im really busting the limit i dont hand the cop my registration card done it twice this year already
1 for careless driving ( he didnt have his radar on but insisted i was speeding cause i passed a car (ON A 2 LANE HIGHWAY) and said you must have been speeding
the other said i ran a red light but he just came around a curve from uphead that light turned red while i was halfway through!
but i get a ticket for failure to give documents I used to take off my seat belt while talking to the cop just unbuckle it and say hey officer i really cant get any more points can i get a ticket thats no points and i move the seatbelt around

magman007
02-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Automaggin2
Well, so I was driving home from work today, going the speedlimit......45 mph.....until the road curved a little bit. As soon as I make turn around the turn, the speed limit drops to 35, and what do you know, a cop is sitting right there and nails me. So he starts following me for about a half mile, I slow down to 35, and after we cross the border into my town, he pulls me over and writes me a ticket. $91.

I need a FOP card :rolleyes: *looks at mango* :D jp

well, law decrees that you have exactly one mile to decrease your speed after a speed limit sign.... so depending on the distance, you might be safe

Restola
02-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by magman007
well, law decrees that you have exactly one mile to decrease your speed after a speed limit sign.... so depending on the distance, you might be safe
That may not be true everywhere.

magman007
02-29-2004, 12:25 AM
hmm, i was under the impression it was a pretty universal law, if it isnt, i would check it out automaggin2 maybe mango can offer some insite.

SlipknotX556
02-29-2004, 10:51 AM
In Florida, If a cop pulls you over and he is not in his town, yes he can make you sit there and but he cant give you a ticket or arrest you, he has to call one of the cops of the town you are in, but they never do, because they dont want to wait there for the other cop to come.

logamus
02-29-2004, 04:33 PM
i have a theory that some officers of the law follow a speeder to make sure they are not breaking some other laws as well. such as dwi or reckless driving. its just a theory though.

PyRo
02-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah they do that, because then they can write you more tickets if they want, and it gives them an idea if your drunk or somthing.
Ive seen a Brookville cop pull over a person in Bayville. That means nothing to most of you, but Bayville is about 10 miles away from Brookville, what the cop was doing there I have no idea, but he had someone pulled over.

bryceeden
03-01-2004, 04:28 PM
I think most states give police state wide juristiction, I don't know for sure, but they do in all the states I have been in.

i like tictacs
03-01-2004, 04:43 PM

this is not true at all, totally false. as soon as you get passed the sign the limit is enforced.

deathstalker
03-01-2004, 10:17 PM
hmm, i was under the impression it was a pretty universal law, if it isnt, i would check it out automaggin2 maybe mango can offer some insite.
It is universal law that the speed limit for any stretch of road is effective exactly where the speed limit sign is posted, as was previously mentioned. Check your state's "Rules of the Road." I know Illinois's is available online.

Are you one of those people who thinks that stop signs that have a white border are different from those that don't? ;)

ShooterJM
03-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Bah. That sticker thing doesn't help at all. I used to donate to the wives and children fund's and a bunch of other police stuff. But then a series of events took place that made me rethink my donations. Now when ever they call I explain to them why they're not getting my money.

HOMOCIDAL2
03-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by SlipknotX556
In Florida, If a cop pulls you over and he is not in his town, yes he can make you sit there and but he cant give you a ticket or arrest you, he has to call one of the cops of the town you are in, but they never do, because they dont want to wait there for the other cop to come.
Thats not true. The only thing is you have to go to the jail in the county where you are taken into custody.

shartley
03-02-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ShooterJM
Bah. That sticker thing doesn't help at all. I used to donate to the wives and children fund's and a bunch of other police stuff. But then a series of events took place that made me rethink my donations. Now when ever they call I explain to them why they're not getting my money.
Were you giving the money to truly help the wives and children of police officers, or so that you could speed (or other things) and get away with it?

ShooterJM
03-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Were you giving the money to truly help the wives and children of police officers, or so that you could speed (or other things) and get away with it?

Nope wanted to help. Never even put the stickers on my car.

I was told the don't work when out of curiosity I asked a local officer about it, he said they don't do any good.