PDA

View Full Version : Paint gets good press in the News Paper :-D

hostage
02-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Heh, we got some good press, to bad the guy didn't get one of my points, I sound like a stuck basdard. I was trying to say if you have an expensive marker you are not going to shoot up school property and have it posible confisgated.

Source from http://www.democratandchronicle.com/homes/community/rit/stories05.shtml

Paintball pastime hits the mark

By Gary Fallesen
Democrat and Chronicle

(Friday, February 20, 2004) -- Ross Gilson, you just aced your computer science classes. Where are you going now?

"We're going to Disney World."

No lie, the president and founder of RIT's Fast Action Paintball Club is taking his "A" Team to a tournament in Orlando, Fla., in April.

College paintball is big -- college-paintball.com lists nearly 200 colleges with club teams -- even if it can't actually be played on many campuses.

"Army can play on campus," Gilson says. "They don't have to worry about having guns on campus."

For the record, those things shooting paintballs are not guns. That's not PC. The guns are called "markers."

But you still shoot each other.

"One of my friends said, 'You've got to go play paintball,' " says Lee Rynearson, a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering from Goffstown, N.H. "I said, 'You get to shoot people?' "

Then he said: Count me in.

"People say it's like laser tag," says Gilson, a junior majoring in computer science from Cedar Springs, Mich. "There's no comparison. There's something coming at you (in paintball), and it's going to sting."

It might even leave a bruise. That's why players must wear helmets with goggles, gloves, long pants and long-sleeved shirts. In a game of 6-on-6 at his club's weekly Tuesday night practice at Compete Paintball, on Exchange Street in the city, Gilson is shot in the hand moments after the official says, "3-2-1-go" to start the game. A little later, while playing 7-on-7, he is the last man standing on his side. It's two against one, and one of the two against Gilson is moving in from his blind side.

"Game over," the official shouts.

Gilson is saved by the timer.

There are about 30 active members in the Fast Action Paintball Club, including Doron Israel, a senior majoring in information technology from Tyler, Texas, who built the club's Web site (www.rit.edu/~fapwww) and wants the world to know his marker did not come from a discount store.

"You can go to Wal-Mart and buy one for $12," Israel says. "My whole setup, I'm estimating, costs $1,800. When your marker costs as much as your friend's car, you're serious about it."

Israel traces his love for paintball to playing tag as a little boy. Now he tags people by shooting about 280 feet per second (300 feet per second equals 200 mph).

"It's so dynamic," Israel says about the game. "It's like watching a movie, an action-adventure or a World War II movie, except nobody gets killed."

It's a testosterone jungle, but even the real men let down their guard occasionally.

"Is there paint on my face?" one player asks between games. "There's paint on my face, and you guys aren't telling me."

"Dude, there's paint on everyone," his teammate tells him. "It's paintball."

[email protected]

breg
02-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Wow! That is really cool. It's good to see paintball portrayed in a positive light by someone other than the online forums.
I like the quote babout if you set up costs as much as your friend's car, then you are serious about it. Not necessiarily true, but funny none the less.

hostage
02-28-2004, 12:55 PM
you have to remember this is coming from a college student.

College, Paintball, THEN food