PDA

View Full Version : A little riddle for you...

breg
02-29-2004, 03:03 AM
OK, I love this one and want to see if you can figure it out...

Three brothers are out to buy their mom a birthday present. While at the store, they see a beautiful clock on the wall. Unfortunately, they cannot find a price tag anywhere on it. So, they take the clock to the check out counter and ask the clerk how much it is. Well, the clerk tells them that the clock is thirty dollars. So, each brother chips in ten dollars. ten times three is thirty, right? Well, after the clock is wrapped up and they leave the store, the manager comes out of his office and asks the clerk how much he just sold the clock for. He replies that he sold the clock for thirty dollars, and the manager told him the the actual price was twenty-five dollars. He then informed the clerk that if he wanted to keep his job, then he had to take the five dollars change outside and return it to the brothers. As he is walking outside, he is trying to figure out he is going to split five dollars between three people. So, he figures, "To Hell with it," and pockets two dollars, and gives each brother a dollar back.
Well, if each brother got a dollar back, that takes the amount paid by each brother down to nine dollars. Well, if nine times three equals twenty-seven, and if you add the two dollars that the clerk pockered, you get twenty nine. Where did the last dollar go?

The answer is pretty simple. This is also how people imbezzle money.

Sorry in advance for any headaches,
Breg

Ov3rmind
02-29-2004, 03:25 AM
My head just exploded. Is that a bad thing?

breg
02-29-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind
My head just exploded. Is that a bad thing?

Only if affects you decision making capabilities.

Digits
02-29-2004, 03:47 AM
Simple..

The owner used the last dollar to pay off the clerks mom for her deeds

tg ur 1t
02-29-2004, 03:58 AM
$30 - 2 = $28
divide that by 3 and that is the actual price paid by each brother... but you lose track of that in the wording of the riddle.

breg
02-29-2004, 04:03 AM
I was hoping it would hang around for a few more minutes
before someone got it...

But, yup, that is it. I watched my physics teacher in high school come apart at the seams trying to figure out this one.

Barfly
02-29-2004, 05:24 AM
yeah it was pretty easy once you think about. Just throws you off when it said that the 3 bros only paid 9 dollars.

Lohman446
02-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by tg ur 1t
$30 - 2 = $28
divide that by 3 and that is the actual price paid by each brother... but you lose track of that in the wording of the riddle.

How did they each pay this. I mean... not to be dense but I have never figured this out and been happy with the answer. Each brother paid $10 originally right. They then got $1 back. Sorry, but that seems to be that they each paid $9. What am I missing?

UltimatePaintballer
02-29-2004, 07:15 PM
i have read this before and have heard the answer i just can't remeber it!!!!! im going to implode!!!!!

tg ur 1t
03-01-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Lohman446

How did they each pay this. I mean... not to be dense but I have never figured this out and been happy with the answer. Each brother paid $10 originally right. They then got $1 back. Sorry, but that seems to be that they each paid $9. What am I missing?

the price is $25, they paid $27, the clerk keeps $2 for finders fee. this is the actual answer. The $30 is irrelevent, but I like the false $28 divide by three answer... it keeps people wondering.

*captain_cox*37
03-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Anybody else got any more riddles?!?!?!

I dont think this one will be so good written as it would be told. N e ways...

Which one of these rooms would be the safest to go into?

1. A room with Lucifer Himself

2. A room with lions that havent eaten in 2 years.

3. A room with a pyschotic Killer... DRESSED AS A CLOWN. ;)

I didnt get this one right away but I am a dumass. ;)

brijohnx
03-01-2004, 01:03 PM
lions that haven't eaten in two years would be dead.....

*captain_cox*37
03-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by brijohnx

Ummm.... no I forgot "SUPER CAN GO WITHOUT EATING FOR 2 YEARS LIONS".... ;)

Ironmag
03-01-2004, 03:22 PM
If Lucifer Himself is the name of a person then that room. It seems that Himself is written as a last name in the way you put it.

WickeDKlowN
03-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by *captain_cox*37
Anybody else got any more riddles?!?!?!

I dont think this one will be so good written as it would be told. N e ways...

Which one of these rooms would be the safest to go into?

1. A room with Lucifer Himself

2. A room with lions that havent eaten in 2 years.

3. A room with a pyschotic Killer... DRESSED AS A CLOWN. ;)

I didnt get this one right away but I am a dumass. ;)
All of them are safe...

1. Lucifer is my dad.
2. Lions would be dead after 2 years without food.
3. I'm a psychodic killer dressed as a clown myself.

(and yes, I understand that Lucifer Himelf is supposed to be a name...)

tony3
03-01-2004, 04:49 PM

Wow, you just pwned that riddle.

UltimatePaintballer
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM

what about from the bugs or magets that would be in there eating away at the lions bodies, or the stench?!?