PDA

View Full Version : Striped Threads????

Thourne
02-29-2004, 12:53 PM
I striped the threads on one of my bottom line holes. I know this can be fixed somehow, does anyone know how to do it. I would prefer to do it at home, but if someone knows of a site that does it super cheap that would be great.

Thanks.

Conquestballer
02-29-2004, 01:43 PM
You need to tap the hole(s) out, most likely with a slightly larger tap. It should not be a big enough of a problem that the new bigger screw wont fit thru the dropforward, or whatever you have down there. If you wanna do it yourself, go to Home Depot and get a set of taps. Its pretty easy to tap things, as long as you are careful and back the tap out after 1/2 a turn or so to let the debris clear of the newly formed threads. I think a good tap set will run ya 35$ or so, but im not sure. I payed 60$ for mine but that was quite a number of years ago. Any machine shop can do it for yah in ~ 5 mins, so if you live bear a warped sports its prolly best to go in there. They will prolly charge you 15$ or so for their time, but its no big deal. Worst case if you cant find anyone to do it, you can mail it to me (or anyone else on the board who can tap things) and ill tap it out for yah and send it back with a new screw for a buck and shipping :) Good luck man, and if you need to contact me you can reach me at [email protected].

-Dave

lamby
03-03-2004, 02:28 AM
the best way to fix this problem is to:

Drill the old damaged threads out with a 17/64" drill

Tap using a 5/18-18 tap

install a threaded insert in the new threaded hole.

You will now have a 10-32 threaded hole that is stronger than the original against restripping

(the drill and tap numbers are for "save-a-thread" inserts. Helicoil brand might be different.

do it right the first time, and you wont have to do it again. :)

DeerChaser
03-03-2004, 07:36 AM
What frame is it? If it's a stock plastic frame just replace the nut. A square 10/32.

Thourne
03-03-2004, 10:09 AM
The bolt I was using before was only grabbing the first 3 threads, and that was all that was striped out. So I just retapped the first few threads with the 10-32 and then got a bolt that was 1/2 inch longer. Lamby, I'm sure your way is a much more professional way to do this, but this only cost me $3 (for the tap and the longer bolt), and it seems to be wroking nicely.

Thanks for all the replies.

MH.

lamby
03-04-2004, 01:27 AM
cool, no problems. I am glad you got it fixed :)

slushee
03-04-2004, 05:32 AM
yeah, from your initial post, it sounded like ALL of the orig. threads were toast ... but yeah, glad to hear you got it fixed.