PDA

View Full Version : Skyball 7

adam shannon
02-29-2004, 11:23 PM
well, just got back from skyball. overall it was a blast. we shot over 15 hours of video that will be going into a dvd produced for XO of the event.

im going to start leaking some clips that will be in it. starting with all the stealth disco clips we did of creative mayhem discoing keely, rocky, and blue. plus a clip i just love of an overhead bunkering shot from the new jib.

turnout was a little low this year, but in case you havent heard next years skyball 8 will have a $100,000 grand prize for the "open class". that should bring in the pros and alot of wannabe pros.

heres the link to the video we have up so far.

http://www.shannonmedia.com/~adam/

Torbo
02-29-2004, 11:49 PM
i got back yesterday night. Im looking foreward to seeing some more footage.

Digits
03-01-2004, 12:07 AM
You should posts some pics of some games.. It looked pretty tight there..

And omg at the 100 000 dollar price.. Me wants.. Must go to skyball

TraXeR
03-01-2004, 12:22 AM
:) Keely sure looks hot there... Oddly enough for the first time I heard her talk, I expected kind of a more 'graceful' higher pitched voice, dunno why. Skyball sure doesn't seem as much buzzed this year as it did last year though.

Brophog
03-01-2004, 12:24 AM
turnout was a little low this year, but in case you havent heard next years skyball 8 will have a $100,000 grand prize for the "open class".

I can only imagine what the entry fee will be in that case.........

Kevmaster
03-01-2004, 12:25 AM
good work adam....i need to talk to you about IAO....

Creative Mayhem
03-01-2004, 01:22 AM
HAHAHAHA that's great!

I was soo busted by Keely. Now the next time i see her she's gonna lay the smack down on me. Yeah, I know.. in my dreams... :rolleyes: :D

Chojin Man
03-01-2004, 01:29 AM
Well at least she talked to you right? You should have told her you are from Canada chicks dig that:D

Creative Mayhem
03-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Chojin Man
Well at least she talked to you right? You should have told her you are from Canada chicks dig that:D

It was in canada, almost all of the people there were canadian. :p

Chojin Man
03-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Ya I know. I just think that it would be funny to state the obvious.

mrhooie
03-01-2004, 01:44 AM
no one's said it yet - but the disco thing was hilarious!!

I hope you've got more - rocky's such a burnout there! LOL

Chojin Man
03-01-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by mrhooie
I hope you've got more - rocky's such a burnout there! LOL

LOl he is prolly still drunk from the previous night.

fire1811
03-01-2004, 08:38 AM
yeah ole rocky was looking pretty weak there. :)

Doobie
03-01-2004, 10:38 AM
OMG! That Rocks!

I was sitting at home alone, just laughing my arse off! STEATH DISCO LIVES!
Blue's was absolutley hysterical :D
Oh...jermey? Your right...you were busted!

loser

:D

Creative Mayhem
03-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Doobie
OMG! That Rocks!

I was sitting at home alone, just laughing my arse off! STEATH DISCO LIVES!
Blue's was absolutley hysterical :D
Oh...jeremy?*Fixed spelling ;)* Your right...you were busted!

loser

:D

YEah, but it was still funny none the less.

tyrion2323
03-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Nice - I can't wait to see more videos of games. That run was really nice...I'm going to take some notes! It was so clean and well executed.

Stealth Disco is great - Pullin' the ol' Tom Green!

bunkermaster10
03-01-2004, 11:22 AM
And I have a MASSIVE hang over! -Rocky

lol that was great.

Creative Mayhem
03-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by tyrion2323
Nice - I can't wait to see more videos of games. That run was really nice...I'm going to take some notes! It was so clean and well executed.

Stealth Disco is great - Pullin' the ol' Tom Green!

The games were nuts, I'd actually like to see more footage myself, but I would rather get the Texball DVD first :)

wyn1370
03-01-2004, 03:32 PM
that was freakin awesome
no audio at work, check that when I get home
but dear jebus, you freaked blue, keely may be hot, but freaking blue is classic

tony3
03-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Keely was hot, rocky was hungover, stealth disco is funny, I think that sums it up.

JEDI
03-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey Mr. Shannon, it was good to see a familiar face up there. (Mayhem too)

adam shannon
03-01-2004, 07:24 PM
how did you guys do in the standings...i lost track of you guys after day 1.

silenttype
03-01-2004, 07:53 PM
The Players party was so lame,25$ for some crappy cold food and I had to buy a 2$ soda at the bar.
The tourney was so expensive,I figure the entrys will jump a third next year and there will only be 15 teams in the rookie div.Greed lives
All in all I still had fun .
But I wont go again.

JEDI
03-01-2004, 08:17 PM
We ended up 14th over all. We made it onto the next round, but missed semi finals by 40 points. We were the next team in line for a wild card. We're pretty psyched though about our results. Not bad for some aging Jersey slackers. :D

adam shannon
03-01-2004, 08:19 PM
i thought you guys were on a roll after you abused those old handicapped guys with pumps.

Digits
03-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by silenttype
The Players party was so lame,25$ for some crappy cold food and I had to buy a 2$ soda at the bar.
The tourney was so expensive,I figure the entrys will jump a third next year and there will only be 15 teams in the rookie div.Greed lives
But I wont go again.

Come to Calgary to Nationals next year then..

BTW, how much was entry fee for rookie at skyball?

silenttype
03-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Jedi we missed the wild card by 5 points for the semis.
I wish we were 40 points off.
13th was still good I guess.
I think the entry was like 800 or so.rookie

Doobie
03-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by adam shannon
i thought you guys were on a roll after you abused those old handicapped guys with pumps.

LOL! Be nice if you read this Tyger! :)

Tyger
03-02-2004, 12:37 AM
They can read my opinions about Skyball 7 with everyone else in PGI.

Dr David Banner
03-02-2004, 07:37 AM
that sounds like u didnt like it - was it no good?

Doobie
03-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Tyger
They can read my opinions about Skyball 7 with everyone else in PGI.

That bad, huh? C'mon Tyger, give us an exclusive. I kinda like reading your rants! :D
;)

silenttype
03-02-2004, 11:53 AM
whats PGI

Torbo
03-02-2004, 12:02 PM
ok i guess ill sum it up from my experiance.

Reffing for rookie at least, was very good.
Paint sucked. and it was $90 a case. The shells were so damn thick. Everything bounced.The second batch, what ended up getting shot during finals, was the worst thing ever. Every single paintball broke. In every gun. As soon as it hit the air, they just cracked in half.
The fields were intense, basically an X-ball field without the X. They were wide open, which made you shoot more paint. Greedy bastards. It was both nice and bad to have 5 identical fields.
Players party sucked. Horribly.

Overall, i loved it. It was our first time there, so that might have been it. Next year, there will be very few people there. Only reason we went was that we got a discount on entry.

JEDI
03-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Jedi we missed the wild card by 5 points for the semis.
I wish we were 40 points off.
13th was still good I guess.

Duh, I wasn't thinking when I said we were next in line. 40 points just seemed so close. But I guess if we were 14th that means there were teams ahead of us for the wild card. Duh! Oh well, good job though silenttype! What team were you guys?

badfish314
03-02-2004, 03:00 PM
I can vouch for that paint...man was it hard! It shot straight as a arrow, but failed a 30-35 foot bounce test. Rookie reffs did a great job, it was 3 long days and they did their best. Players party...ha...I went to some pizza place instead.

Two rules kinda bugged the hell outta me too.

1. Players Classify Themesevles- meaning that if you were Aftershock and you felt like playing rookie you could...no one checked anything.

2. Trigger Bounce Is All Good- "what can we do to check this?" " Nothing.." Nice I thought, people with runaway markers on full auto, oh well!

silenttype
03-02-2004, 03:45 PM
I think the whole thing kinda sucked and I think there were some serious sandbaggers playing, some of those guys were amazing players for being rookies,I mean to be rookie you just didnt have to place in Skyball So in reality Dynasty could have changed there name and grew mustaches and played..
Why not like badfish said classify yourself,leaves it open to whatever.
Poorly run but the Reffs were great.
Even the Trophys looked cheezy and cheap.
XO didnt care,, there all about the money.

Strider
03-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Even the Trophys looked cheezy and cheap.Really? I thought they were nice... DId you see the rings??? :eek:

silenttype
03-04-2004, 12:01 PM
yea I loved the rings,the trophys looked like they were that cheap gold coating and pretty plain.
I likw the trophys with the levels and pilars

MarkM
03-04-2004, 12:14 PM
But I wont go again.

$25? why did you pay was it because you weren't entered as all the players got free entry ;) ...the food wasn't cold, the only change was that it was no longer "all you can eat" just the one visit, so I did what everyone else did and loaded the plate high :D

whats PGI

Paintball Games International...english Mag but nearly all the content is North American based.

The Pic's that were here are going in a forthcoming issue of PGI so guess you will have to buy it to see them again ;)

Quickling
03-04-2004, 12:25 PM
I like the concept of ring awards. But at the price these tourneys are commanding these days it seems there should be smaller prizes farther down... or free stuff on entry like skyball 7 barrel condoms.

Creative Mayhem
03-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Quickling
I like the concept of ring awards. But at the price these tourneys are commanding these days it seems there should be smaller prizes farther down... or free stuff on entry like skyball 7 barrel condoms.

I agree, you don't get anything per say with the entry. IAO's entry is less and you get a whole bag of stuff. Granted, IAO is MUCH bigger, and has real sponsors, but if Skyball could get the sponsors on board it really could be a HUGE tourney. Just my .02

Ack
03-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Now if I could just get the camera guys to quit shooting my feet:D

adam shannon
03-04-2004, 07:18 PM
i think skyball is getting a bad rap on the prizes. so at iao you get a dozen brass eagle walmart guns and a couple hats from dye...a whole pile of junk you already have better stuff than. skyball's grand prize was $5000 ($4000 US) and a skid of paint (96 cases) shipped to your front door. thats a fat prize. who cares if its not a half ton of squeegies, keychains, and magazine subscriptions...its stuff you can use. i said all along as soon as they announced the prizes that it didnt look impressive enough for newbs and little kids to realize what they were actually getting.

Digits
03-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by adam shannon
i think skyball is getting a bad rap on the prizes. so at iao you get a dozen brass eagle walmart guns and a couple hats from dye...a whole pile of junk you already have better stuff than. skyball's grand prize was $5000 ($4000 US) and a skid of paint (96 cases) shipped to your front door. thats a fat prize. who cares if its not a half ton of squeegies, keychains, and magazine subscriptions...its stuff you can use. i said all along as soon as they announced the prizes that it didnt look impressive enough for newbs and little kids to realize what they were actually getting.

Isn't there more then that next year.. Like a whole pile of stuff.. I know the 96 cases is still there, and I remember seing empire stuff, pack, squeegees.. Blah you name it.. And the rings would be freaking sweet

Quickling
03-04-2004, 10:00 PM
I don't mean random crap from sponsors.. but stuff like barrel socks that are only given to those poeple that play.. stuff that is like.. yeah i was there. Even if you don't win. Or patches or something that you can only get playing there.

And I think the 96 cases is kinda lame. 1- it will go bad before most teams can shoot it all. and 2- its only good if you know a BYOP field. Otherwise your doing lots of backyard ball! And your gonna run outta air before your through with the paint.

And this isn't a pro tourney, so its not like theres a huge chance the winners will have their own fields.