PDA

View Full Version : I am Starting a Big Game/Scenario Field in NW Washington

pbjosh
03-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Hello!

I have been given the chance to build a 40 acre field in Nw Washington. We are looking at a 35-40 acre field with two Castles to begin with.

I have laid out the basic land, and it looks good right now. I am hoping to build 2 100ft x 100ft castles, with a good chunk of out buildings.

If you have any questions or suggestions please comment away. I am planning on 3 games a year, maybe more as demand warrants it.

Whay would you like to see in a big game/scenario field? What is nessesary, and what is to be avoided? Any suggestions would be great, and body who is in the area who wants to participate please chime in.

We are tenatively planning on opening in May.

Josh

Burphel
03-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Glad to hear there's another scenario field coming to the NW. Post up when you're going to open and I might just make the trek.

As for what I'd like to see, castles and stuff are cool, but I'd say don't worry about any of that until you've got your basics covered.

Safety stuff like netting or boundaries that put some trees between guns and eyes, and plenty of chronys. Smart, responsible refs that understand the recball mentality but aren't afraid to enforce rules. Don't be afraid to fire bad ones. Plenty of barrel plugs or bags for sale cheap so your player's don't have an excuse for not having one.

Logistical stuff. Plenty of porta-potties. Running water, preferably potable, or have enough thermos buckets on hand each game day for cleaning gear and drinking. Drinkable water (even if it's warm) should never be a charge item at a paintball field. I got no problem with charging for bottled water along with chips/pop/whatever, but you gotta keep your players hydrated. Enough parking. Enough CA and CO2 that you aren't running out at the end of the day. A covered area with a tech bench, tools, and replacement parts for basic guns like Tippmanns and stacked blowbacks and lots of tank o-rings and burst discs, along with somebody who can handle basic repairs without stopping gameplay while they're working.

Being Western Wa, I'd suggest ponying up for a covered staging area. Just a slanted tin roof or even a tarp over some picnic tables makes a big difference if you're going to be playing in a drizzle. You don't need it to run your operation, but I think you'll see more people showing up on less-than-perfect days if you've got them, and at a fraction of the cost of building a castle.

pbjosh
03-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Well,

I have been playing for 13 or so odd years, and ran a field for a while, and haven't seen one as safe as mine yet. Safety will not be an issue. The refs are out playing X-ball this weekend, so I expect they can handle anything some punk comes up with. The local store will have a goodie stand, for the Barrel plugs/covers and other stuff. It looks like I have two compressors availible (maybe 3), and I have a line in (one of the field owners bro owns the welding gas shop) for CO2. And the local shop (plus myself) will have some techs ready.

We also have 10 50-man tens for use off the field, and I plan on renting some 20x40 tents for the refresh stations (one at each end.) Also we are going to build a 12 stall toilet/shower trailer with hot running water. plus I might be able to pick up some not so old picnic table from a local park that is switching out.

We have about 20 acres for parking/camping right now, but we also plan on clearing a large area closer to the field for it also. That section will also be about 20 acres.

The only thing I didn't figure was a couple fresh water stations, but I can cover that with some big coolers that will hold water. Put them in each of the refresh, and maybe a couple camelpacks for the refs/medics.

Anything else?

Josh

Burphel
03-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Hot showers? I love you.

Sorry to sound nitpicky, but I've been to several fields that were severely lacking in the logistics department that act like it's no big deal because they're 'just a rec field.' As if scenario/rec players should just be happy that we're not playing outlaw ball.

Sounds like you've got the beginnings of a pretty nice operation. Definitely post up when you open(hell, drop me an e-mail if you want) and I'm liable to come take a look.

Oh, and drop MXS an e-mail. I think they like their fields to be bigger (even if it's unimproved area), but I also know they've been looking for a NW field.

pbjosh
03-04-2004, 08:59 PM
As soon as we start the dirt work (the land owner also has a Contracting/Dirt work company, nice to have a couple Cats, excavators and the such) I will see how it all pans out. Then I will call a couple companies (I have received some e-mails) and see what we can swing. We also have about 60 more acres to expand to, depends on where we stick parking. SO- we will see. If nothing else and one other deal falls through then we will use some 40 acres that are located over a small stream (would have to have bridges, but that is no big deal) and use that as a good divider.

The land owner wants to do this right, and so do I. So, while it might not be the BEST field in the world, I want it to be solid, safe, and fun. We just don't have that up here yet. With all the good tournament teams around here, I think it is high time we did.

Josh