PDA

View Full Version : Banned CO2.

Quickling
03-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Over at SCP we have had some members experiencing fields banning the use of CO2 tanks, I am curious if the boarder community is experiencing similiar results.. or if this is a local occurance.

Anyone that does experience it, just pop up a reply noting that and where you are.

BobTheCow
03-01-2004, 08:57 PM
I haven't heard anything like this at all in my area, northern Virginia or southern Maryland... I'm really angry at how everybody, even the paintball community, has been treating this isolated freak incident over in California. CO2 is not the problem, easily preventable user error is the problem...

tony3
03-01-2004, 09:00 PM
If a field is going to ban co2, they better start renting out nitro tanks for free or else people won't be happy. Fox paintball in illinios does this in the winter for co2 users.

Koosh
03-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Action Pursuit Paintball, in Greeley Colorado, banned the use of PMI (but ONLY PMI) Co2 tanks last year when they noticed more then one of the tank valves coming unscrewed...

Wasn't it the PMI brand tank that killed the woman in California?

Quickling
03-01-2004, 09:19 PM
hmmm interesting. I wonder how the PMI HPA regs are.. since I have one on my 13ci tank....

I also wonder how much of this banning CO2 is a convient way to sell the more expensive HPA tanks.

Digits
03-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Quickling
hmmm interesting. I wonder how the PMI HPA regs are.. since I have one on my 13ci tank....

I also wonder how much of this banning CO2 is a convient way to sell the more expensive HPA tanks.

Hpa tank threads are like 4 inches long( i think), you would notice if they were coming unscrewed.. CO2 is much shorter though

tony3
03-01-2004, 09:24 PM
hpa should matter because the high amount of pressure keeps the tanks sealed on, and if the bottle starts to remove, most likely there is no pressure in the bottle. My old conquest came unscrewed when I had no air in it.

dyst0pia
03-01-2004, 09:30 PM
I hate to say it, but both previous statements are somewhat incorrect.

first off, yes, the reg threads are longer on a HPA tank. However, seeing as the blow-off hole is right at the top of the threads, you don't have long before the tank is blowing in your face.

How do I know this? I have had two tanks blow on me in the past 3 months. Both tanks were 4500psi, fully filled.

In reply to tony3, wouldnt it make more sense that since there is more pressure pushing outwards on the tank/reg, that things would be less resistant to unscrewing?

On another tank, the reg started to unscrew with about 4000psi left in the tank. So, I just started dry-firing to get all the air out of the tank. The reg was unscrewing EASILY when pressurized. As soon as there was no pressure in the tank, I couldnt get that reg off for the life of me. We had to use 2 guys with a strap wrench. The extra pressure in the tank made it easier for the reg to unscrew.

FalconGuy016
03-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by TheFlamingKoosh
Action Pursuit Paintball, in Greeley Colorado, banned the use of PMI (but ONLY PMI) Co2 tanks last year when they noticed more then one of the tank valves coming unscrewed...

Wasn't it the PMI brand tank that killed the woman in California?

Man thats the tank everyone has though :(

Koosh
03-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016

Man thats the tank everyone has though :(

Its also the tank that KILLED SOMEONE... I value my personal saftey a little more then a stupid $20 tank.

I trust myself and the guys I play with not to unscrew the bottle from the valve, but its all the newbies, first timers, and other guys who'll forget a warning at the beginning of the day...

WARPED1
03-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Banning CO2 will put lots of fields out of business. Most rec baller don't have access or can't afford HPA.