PDA

View Full Version : NPPL PSP and SP

Lohman446
03-02-2004, 06:56 PM
If GM were to create a 1000HP electric motor that weighed seven pounds and could run a car at 300MPH for 500 miles would Nascar allow it? Hell no...

If SP were to create and use a patent to block a "superior" (lets not argue it here) method of firing a marker to anything else, should we allow it?

Think about this, what if NPPL and PSP worded a rule, that any trigger mechanism had to be open to competition to be allowed in there events. IE - patents had to be freely shared (or at minimum cost) to be allowed. I don't know the exact wording, or the ramifications to other developments in paintball. But SP does not rule paintball, nor do PSP and NPPL for that matter. But if we worked a rule that forced SP to share this patent... would they?

Jonesie
03-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Lohman446
Think about this, what if NPPL and PSP worded a rule, that any trigger mechanism had to be open to competition to be allowed in there events. IE - patents had to be freely shared (or at minimum cost) to be allowed. I don't know the exact wording, or the ramifications to other developments in paintball. But SP does not rule paintball, nor do PSP and NPPL for that matter. But if we worked a rule that forced SP to share this patent... would they?

Then SP would redirect their lawyers to NPPL and PSP. Won't happen. I have a feeling the industry has too tight a control on the tournament scene. Start restricting BPS, sell less paint. Paint sponsors pull out, tourney fees rise, teams quit playing due to higher costs...

Just look what happened to WDP and the PSP. PSP spanked'em for some lude conduct, and WDP bolted. (At least, that's how I've always heard it...)

rdb123
03-02-2004, 10:40 PM
OT, but it's funny now to think that Mercedes Benz owns the patents to airbags and crumple zones but they license them out for ONLY one dollar.

adam shannon
03-03-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by rdb123
OT, but it's funny now to think that Mercedes Benz owns the patents to airbags and crumple zones but they license them out for ONLY one dollar.

mercedes is a reputable company with a sense of responsibility to share their ideas for the good of all consumers...smart parts watches too many reruns of the sopranos. they just better watch out because someday they might just end up figuratively with their heads in a bowling ball bag like ralphy. no evil lasts forever without some kind of backlash.

and as to why the psp allow sp products...duh, because they are in cahoots with the psp crony club. although i would think that if anybody would ban their stuff its the nppl since pure promotions is wdp and they are the ultimate goal of the sp suit nazis.

Jonesie
03-03-2004, 08:32 AM
wdp and they are the ultimate goal of the sp suit nazis. Yep, it's clear that Smart Parts is looking for a legal precedent by attacking the smaller, less financially secure companies. If they beat one of those in court, then there is some precedent for them to throw at WDP.

Until they win one IN a court room, don't expect SP to go after WDP. Just me opinion...

And Ron, take MY SFL outta your signature! ;)