PDA

View Full Version : loctite and teflon tape-help me

phantomhitman
03-03-2004, 04:36 PM
well, i am in need of help here. i do not think this is a tech forum type of question, but if it is please move it there mods.

I recently got my flatline (68-3000) back from rehydro (hydrotester.com) and put all of the nipples and gauges back on. I used teflon tape for all of them. Well I got it filled for the first time last weekend and air was escaping out of the right gauge (measures how much air is left in the tank) slowly. I tried to tighten the gauge more but came up empty, I had to let all of the air out :( . So I took the gauage off re-tefloned it and I am going tomorrow to get it filled again. But I wanted to ask the paintball gods at ao if it is safe to put loctite or something else on it? The gauges did have a red substance on them when I took them off before I sent it to get rehydroed, that is why I ask if this is acceptable. Thanks for any help.

RRfireblade
03-03-2004, 04:48 PM
They both work fine.

I wouldn't use red locktite on a gauge but blue will also work fine.I prefer teflon most of the time simply cause you can make minor adjustments after your done without a leak.That and I hate waiting for locktite to dry.:)

The trick to Teflon is don't use to much.Just about twice around following the thread direction(so it can't unwind when your threading it back in)snug it down and you should be good.

In ANY resealing process,you must get off any and all leftover sealer or teflon or whatever and make sure it's clean in there.

That's my .02

paint magnet
03-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Clean out all the teflon scraps and clean the fittings with rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt or oil. Then just screw in the gauge one turn, apply a small amount of blue loctite (enough to cover the threads) and tighen it down. It doesn't need to be as tight as with teflon tape, but you do want to snug it up. Blue loctite is very easy to work with and it dries in about 30 minutes. (it is recommended to let it dry overnight for full bonding strength, though)

Loctite is usually recommended because you don't run the risk of teflon shavings breaking loose and clogging up your reg or the guns valving. And if you do decide to use teflon tape, make sure to buy the kind specifically designed for airlines (It's yellow and costs ~ $2-$3 a roll ), not the cheap white stuff, which is intended mainly for water lines and other low pressure applications. DO NOT, however, use Red loctite on a tank. Removing it requires that it be heated, and you should never expose a HPA tank to extreme heat.

phantomhitman
03-03-2004, 05:09 PM
thanks gentlemen. there only one kind of blue loctite correct? i guess i will stop by the store tomorrow and get some and apply it, then wait overnight and then fill my tanks up friday. everything is closed by the time i get out of school (10pm) :mad: .

paint magnet
03-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Blue is the right strength if it is Loctite brand thread locker...other brands may use different colors to designate strength, so just look on the back of the package. It should mention something like "medium strength thread locking compound" and "removes easily with hand tools".

You can usually find it in stores like Lowes or Home Depot for a couple bucks a tube.

xen_100
03-03-2004, 05:57 PM
actually there at least three blue loctites I know of. all of them will work, but they are slightly different strengths.

what you want is loctite 243.

phantomhitman
03-03-2004, 06:01 PM
thanks xen, i would have freaked out if i went to the store and found 3 different blue ones. :D

Shane-O-Mac
03-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Bah, red loctite works just fine. when i tech for AA and myself, i use red loc-tite. why? red has a better gap filling property than blue, so it seals better. also if you use loc-tite, then only use 1-2 drops on the last 3 threads, and let it naturaly "wick" around to the other side, it flows into the thread valleys much better that way. Another reason i dont like teflon tape, is that unless your really carefull, bits of teflon can get into your reg and into your gun, which can futz up alot of things internally. if you only use no more than 2 drops of red, it will seal better than blue, AND it will remove just fine. the reason some people have problems with red is they use way to much, just as some do with teflon! but if your set on using teflon, then paint magnet's post is excellant. I use the yellow stuff in a pinch and it works much better than white and it is easier to handle. the key is to make sure there is NO teflon tape on the shoulder of the fitting going into the gun, that keeps it from getting into the gun or reg. As a matter of fact i actually use the even stronger red than what everyone is able to buy locally. trust me, the is no problem with red loctite when used properly, (that was the key phrase..LOL).

Shane-O

STRZ
09-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Loctite recommends the use of either PST 567 teflon paste (better for stainless steel fittings) or my favorite Hydraulic sealant 545. Both of these are actually made for thread SEALING not locking and are good for a 10,000 psi seal.

This is the recommendation from the guys that MAKE loctite.

I just wish that 545 was available in smaller bottles... expect to pay $30 for a bottle of 545 but it is enough to last even a paintball shop for a year. I get mine from Grainger.

PST 567 is cheaper and a little more common...

(PS: I am a Mechanical engineer :cool: ........)

athomas
09-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Yeah. I use the 545 myself. I bought a bottle about 3 yrs ago and still have lots, even after lending it to everyone that comes along. It is expensive but so easy to use and you never have leak problems.

Mer
09-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Here's a great post explaining Loctite:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133042

Gunga
09-01-2005, 11:10 AM
The gauges did have a red substance on them when I took them off before I sent it to get rehydroed, that is why I ask if this is acceptable.

AGD uses teflon tape that's colored a light red (before application) that looks medium red when it's been compressed/used on threads for sealing pneumatic fittings/gauges, so that's what the red stuff is, assuming no one else has worked on it.

rkjunior303
09-01-2005, 11:13 AM
545 is where it's at. It dries a purplish color. Like everyone else said, it's a thread sealant rather than a thread lock product.

RRfireblade
09-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Keep in mind people, this is a 1 year 6 month old thread so I think he should have it figured out by now. ;)

phantomhitman
09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
wow.......amazing

tank is sold and long gone. i just used blue loctite though, it fixed the leak. however, can someone recomend a sealant for my wallet?

FromTheBack
09-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Move to India man, they have No paintball, and everything is cheap. Your wallet would be as tight as possible.