PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Dye Proto Masks?

ghed
03-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Ive been looking at new masks for awhile and saw this for $60 on pbgear. It seems like theyre bigger than the Invision (which is good for those of us w/ big heads :) ). But there is no info on them at the Dye website. I also checked pbreview but there was only like 2 reviews. Has anyone used one of these? And do they use the same lens as Invisions?
Also if anyone had a pic of someone wearing one I would appreciate it so I can get a feel for the size of the mask.

Thanks

Eatem Alive
03-03-2004, 06:58 PM
my wife wears one. they are very solid and the lens can be changed fairly quick but not like morphs. they are also kinda heavy as far as gogs go. but overall they're nice and she likes them.

tony3
03-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Never used one, never seen one, but from the pics I have seen on the net its ugly, but that doesn't mean it won't work good. What kind of tabs does it use Eatem? Are they like invisions?

ghed
03-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Yea I know they are very pretty but my head barely fits in an Invision so my chin pokes out when I talk.
The description on pbgear says they use the "incredibly simple 1/4 turn buckle (patent pending)" Not sure if that is the same as Invisions.

FallNAngel
03-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Invision lenses have to be set into a frame, much like the JT Flex.

bladerunner
03-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Go to www.protopaintball.com for more info on the Proto line from Dye.

rpm07
03-04-2004, 10:48 AM
I have seen them they are bigger then the Invisions so your chin should not stick out. I was going to get a pair but I went with the JT FX10

Brennan
03-04-2004, 11:41 AM
I was playing around with the Proto Switch at one of our stores last week. Here's my rundown...

a)Appearance: It looks like a Spectra, only made by DYE. The top 2/3-3/4 of it is relatively rigid, while the bottom part is quite flexible.

b)Lens retention/removal: The lens looks exactly like an Invision lens, only with the retention tabs missing. You pivot the round strap connectors on each side about 1/4 turn and the lens frame splits in two pieces (a front and back). This allows easy removal of the lens. No more sore Invision thumbs! :D

c)Fit: It fit my relatively skinny melon pretty well. Not as tight/close as the Invision. It fit about like my Profiler fits, although it lacked the field of vision.

d)Overall: I think DYE made a better goggle system than the Invision, and at a lower price tag. It's a little more roomy and of a more generous cut. The lens removal is tremendously easier than that of the Invision. While I'm not going to run out and get one to replace the Profiler, I think it's a good design.

Later,
B.

A5 Capo
06-03-2004, 05:45 PM
for info on ALL proto products, the dye website offers nothing. you have to go to www.protopaintball.com.

smilestyler
06-04-2004, 07:20 PM
I tried one out last week. I think it is a good value, but I bought the invision instead. The switch seemed too long and narrow for my head, and the invision felt lighter. I'm not sure if it weighed less or not, but I went for comfort over protecting my chin. I hope I won't regret that :D

Shirtlessfoo
06-05-2004, 11:13 AM
i've got one and i like mine... havn't played with it yet tho just worn it around the house, it'll never fog which is nice so no need for a fan and the lense is very easy to change over all i like it but i do agree it is a bit heavy

coolcatpete
06-05-2004, 04:41 PM
we sell them at our shop and i personally think that they are a bit heavy and they are big and ugly. they also dont have the greatest range of view.
pete

angelbeast24
06-05-2004, 07:31 PM
the goggles are great the field of view is great but i still like my proflex better

p8ntball365
06-05-2004, 08:39 PM
i love mine and highly reccomend it. the color options are nice too but i went with the black on black

A5 Capo
06-05-2004, 09:12 PM
i just used my switch for the first time today. i LOVED it. the field of peripheral vision is phenomenal...you will not have anything obstructing your view for the entire range that your eyes can move. the mask is slightly heavier than my vforce morph, but if you adjust the strap so it fits snugly, you won't know the difference. the bottom of the mask is flexible, more like the morph than the proflex, and gave me many bounces today. my only criticism of the mask is that if you get shot in the part the covers your mouth, you def will taste paint, but i guess paint blockage was sacrificed for better ventilation (which was quite good). for whatever it's worth, another guy on my team had an invision and now plays with a switch, and he likes the switch much more.

Head knight of Ni
06-06-2004, 01:01 AM
I think they're fugly without the visor on and aren't attractive. atleast you wont see anyone else with one too often. :p