PDA

View Full Version : First tourny on sunday

UltimatePaintballer
03-03-2004, 08:05 PM
well I am finally going to be in my first tourny sunday(90% sure) and i was just wondering, what do i need to do to play my best games and all. i am so excited now, but when i get out on the field, i bet im either going to get tunnel vision and suck it up or something else. any tips?

oh and good luck to team empress that is play in la now. anyone know how they are doing?

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
03-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Good luck, you will do fantabulious:D

Eagle
03-03-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm looking to play my first tourny in May, good luck to you. Make sure your equipment is good ahead of time, good night sleep, stretch ahead of time, ect...

FallNAngel
03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by UltimatePaintballer
what do i need to do to play my best games and all.

Get a good night sleep the night before
Eat a good breakfast
Walk the fields ASAP
Communicate Communicate Communicate

Digits
03-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Hah I never got a good nights sleep, i'm always way to excited.. But then im tired and I need to hype myself up by jumping around and ****..

But the best advice I can give you is try your hardest to win.. Don't go out there thinking "Win or loose, it's fun" It's a true statement.. But believe me, you will have WAAAY more fun if you win.. So with that being said, make sure your playing with other players you feel confident with.. Because of course confidence is key..

Oh and don't underestimate any teams.. Trust me.. Playing for another team we won 7/8 games and the one we lost to was the worst team we were playing who never one a game except against us.. Thats what happens when you underestimate people.

coolcatpete
03-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Dont be afraid, just play like they are your rival team and your life depends on winning. Be agressive and go up far off the break. Walk the field before hand and look for primary and secondary bunkers. Concentrate. Listen to pump up music before it and inbetween. Study the teams when they play so you know what they may do. Find lanes and use them. Get good positions according to each players skills. Communicate like there is no tommarow and make it loud and assertive. And most importantly and the reason you are playing have fun, and if you lose oh well just don't get upset and play the next game. Usally when I try to have fun I win and then when I am mad I lose the next game so just stay focased and have fun. Tell us the results after the day. Hope that helped.
Pete

UltimatePaintballer
03-03-2004, 09:09 PM
oh i will, It is a 3 man with 36 teams. should take all sunday but yea, i wanted to go in it so bad that my friend found me a team. i was going with one but one kid was saying there were to many, and then the other one had to work.

tony3
03-03-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm just assuming you are playing a 3man right? Most rookie/young guns tournies around here are 3man so heres what my team usually does, after 4 tournies and 2 1st place wins I think we got the whole 3 man thing down.

Most important thing is make sure all your main guns are working, and you have ATLEAST 1 backup per person. One tourney one kid was lubing his gun on the way, needless to say when he got there it didn't work and we were very made at him. He ended up using my imp and I used a backup mag because he would of short stroked it like nuts.

Make sure you bring a cooler of water and gatorade. I'm not sure about you, but I cannot eat on tourney days. I won't be able to swallow a drop of breakfast and during the tourney, forget it.

Watch the teams that you are going to play, scout them out and write down a few notes on what their break usually looks like. If they are rushing the 50 with 2 guys, personally, I'd have all 3 shoot off the break and hope to knock out 1 or 2 of them. If they are playing conservitive, don't run to their 40 off the break but have everyone shooting off the break and have 1 guy move up to the 30 or 40, just adjust your break to the team you are playing.

Every game counts, we missed semis in one tourney because we didn't hang the flag in time, yeah it was the stupidest mistake ever.

You should shoot more off the break, then you do the whole rest of the game. If you can take 1 off the break, and don't do anything stupid, it should be an easy win.

Thats just what I have picked up over my 3 man experience, good luck.

angelbeast24
03-03-2004, 09:27 PM
its ur first tourny go out and have FUN. walk the fields many times get a good game plan going, dont be to afraid to make big moves but dont make stupid ones. comunication is key in tourny ball.

good luck lets us kno how u end up doing

FutureMagOwner
03-03-2004, 09:44 PM
dont worry about it but be excited, pump yourself up before hand and when you start playing keep your head, when your bunkers getting pounded by the 58 billionth ball just remember to think and make your moves wisely.

BobTheCow
03-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Some of the best advice I've ever gotten: If you're not actively shooting, drawing fire, or moving, you're not doing anything. :) Keep that in mind when you have a zillion things running through your head on the field, but still can't think straight.

rikkter
03-03-2004, 10:05 PM
my suggestion, dont bump up too far ahead off the break. work your way up. DONT hesistate to move up when no ones shooting at you or looking. as in if you can't see any of them, MOVE UP.

if theres a snake on the field, have ONE OF THEM TAKE IT. either have one double up on the back of the snake to cover them or throw them in the middle and make sure they watch you.

scenario:
one to the left, one in middle, one in snake. and they're set up the same
focus on the guy in the middle if your either guy thats not in the snake.

if your on the left tell the guy in the middle to cover your mirror. if you get the middle guy out, snake sacrafices and bunkers snake. now its a 2vs1, if you're in the middle, take the snake, move up, the dude has no chance.

this is what we did quite a bit in the tournament that we went to, and it worked every time.

communicationnnn, doens't matter what it is, if someones shooting at you, tell your teammates.

dont really do anything 'stupid' off the break, its only 3vs3, and its easier to win if you out number them.
my suggestion off the break, all 3 of you lane one bunker, making *sure* you get at least one of them, double up, triple up on bunkers if you have to, then spead out.

try it, it may work, then you got the edge and they're on their heels.

watch the time! get a watch with a stop watch on it. most 3 man games are only 4-5 minutes time limit.

try not to be nervous, just relax.

we made this mistake at our first tournament. we lost the first two games because we were nervous, but after the 2nd game we relaxed, and we won the last 7 in a row.

you will have fun, enjoy yourself, i wish i could goto one this weekend but its too soon argh

good luck!

68magOwner
03-03-2004, 10:43 PM
i remember my first tournie, firts off, make shure everyones gear works before you get there :rolleyes: had to fix a timmy and a cocker real fast, anyway, communication is key, cross shoot, have fun.
edit- reding posts above, sorry, rikkter, i have to argue with you, i find it very easy to get at least one guy WAY up the field with 3 man games, most teams lane the back standups, and on small felds, you can take the center 50 before they realize what happened.

UltimatePaintballer
03-03-2004, 10:46 PM
yar, i own a mech cocker, so mine better be up and running:(

rikkter
03-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 68magOwner
i remember my first tournie, firts off, make shure everyones gear works before you get there :rolleyes: had to fix a timmy and a cocker real fast, anyway, communication is key, cross shoot, have fun.
edit- reding posts above, sorry, rikkter, i have to argue with you, i find it very easy to get at least one guy WAY up the field with 3 man games, most teams lane the back standups, and on small felds, you can take the center 50 before they realize what happened.

i didn't say it was hard.
but i wouldnt do it every game, maybe 1 or 2 as a surprise

lets say they do that, he gets shot, their chances just went down a lot more if they dont cross it up and communicate

the_next_guy_
03-03-2004, 11:46 PM
I played my first tourney 2 weekends ago. It took a few games for my team to start communicating with each other, be once we did, things went alright. Play hard but play smart. We found that if we could nail one of their guys off the break, the game ended a lot quicker. Good luck and have fun:)

lamby
03-04-2004, 01:20 AM
hey baller, what team you going to play on?

I will prob see you up there. I am not sure if we are going to play or not, but we will be there

UltimatePaintballer
03-04-2004, 04:27 PM
well first i was going to play with unger, sneaky and maybe freeman, but then sneaky has to work and unger was bortching that there were too many teams. our team name is.....(asking guy the name).....*wating*....well he hasn't answered yet so ill get back to you on that one.

penguinpunk555
03-04-2004, 09:37 PM
I will be up there too. I will be playing with the Crimson Kids. Good luck.

I am super nervous right now, if we place high we get a new sponsership!!!

UltimatePaintballer
03-04-2004, 09:46 PM
yea good luck to you too, team downfall will be reffing and i got one mad so now he says he will be calling me out:rolleyes: who would you get for a sponsor?

penguinpunk555
03-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Paintball Sally's Inc in Salem, WI. Lets see out of 36 teams if we get around the top ten or so. This is a rookie tourney right?

UltimatePaintballer
03-04-2004, 10:11 PM
yea but bfg doesn't enforce that really, they will take anyone

penguinpunk555
03-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Alright,I guess I gotta just play my little old heart out and hope it doesnt stop working. I will hopefully have a back up Matrix.

UltimatePaintballer
03-04-2004, 10:26 PM
yea, im get to use a timmy instead of a mech cocker, so i know now that my gun won't be down! but i will also be out of paint alot faster
:(

penguinpunk555
03-04-2004, 10:28 PM
What time are you going out to the field? My team is gonna try to be out there by 7:00.

UltimatePaintballer
03-04-2004, 11:25 PM
somewhere between 7 and 730. i just want to play so bad!

NJPaint
03-04-2004, 11:54 PM
I don't think its been stressed enough here... Relax. You are playing paintball to have fun. Not to win money, not to win glory, for fun. You can't do bad if you are having fun. It is impossible. Relaxing elavates people's games, guarenteed.

lamby
03-05-2004, 02:29 AM
baller, another couple pieces of advice: Watch the teams that you have to play. Alot of teams will do the same thing or something similar off the break. If there is a critical player or position on the team you need out you can lane that position.

Relax, think of what you want to accomplish before you walk on the field. Think of what bunkers are critical for you and the other team. If there is a 50 dorito that will lay waiste to your team if someone gets there, make sure that you prevent that.

Communicate with your team. There will be alot of yelling and confusion, but there are people on your team that can see things that you cant. If you are told to do something by a team mate, DO IT dont ask, just do. They might see that a person is reloading, or looking the other way. or oyu have a clean line. If you die, yell at them after the game :)

Play your game, no matter what happens. Stay tight, keep shooting, and keep pressing. You will do fine.

Good luck on your first tourney!

PS. You said you have Freeman on your team? Is this the same Jason Freeman that is on our Madcow team? If so, he is starting with Sean and Dave for Madcow 1 (clinkers). So I dont think he will be playing with you (he wont be playing with us if he is still in LA either...) Madcow 2 (shaken babys) is Mook, Ben and Me

Downfall will be fair, I know the kids and they wont cheat against you. You also have Marquette on the field.. Prob in the Head and Ultimate positions.

Good luck to all teams

MOO BABY MOO!!!

UltimatePaintballer
03-05-2004, 02:12 PM
yea jason. all i know is that unger said he was play with us but the unger left and sneaky has ot work so then hje wasn't.

can't wait to see all the teams on the field.

and i will know the name tonight

Methylphenidate
03-05-2004, 02:53 PM
owe man after reading all that you got me all excited for sunday... thanks alot guys
anyways just play your game and youll be fine
cant wait to see every one there good luck to everyone that is playing

penguinpunk555
03-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Everyone feels bad for me at school once I told them mad cow was gonna be there.

UltimatePaintballer
03-05-2004, 05:43 PM
i think i can take them;)

penguinpunk, update your teams page

lamby
03-05-2004, 06:12 PM
anything can happen during any game on any field.. Good luck!

penguinpunk555
03-05-2004, 07:18 PM
That isn't my team page that is the Crimson Men. They are the senior team. We are the Crimson Kids. My captian is working on our website. Should be up soon.

Hey,lamby think ya can throw the game against us so we can atleast say we beat madcow?? ;)

If we do match up against you I am playing all out. As it says on my shoe (realy does) DESTROY ALL!

lamby
03-05-2004, 07:28 PM
well, for my team we are playing with 2 backs and a mid guy. none of us are very good up front. The other team has both of our fronts, and a back.

I dont know about throwing a game, because we want a trophey for our sponsor bar

Methylphenidate
03-05-2004, 10:12 PM
i heard that madcow was on a waiting list for this tourny

penguinpunk555
03-06-2004, 12:12 AM
I hope

UltimatePaintballer
03-06-2004, 02:30 PM
yea, well i found out my teams name, it is the LONE RANGERS! i didn't make it up but yea, it was my only hope. lamby, are you on the 1 or 2 for madcow. well yea

UltimatePaintballer
03-07-2004, 08:13 AM
up at 6:55 for the tourny, a tourny a 40+ teams.

swanster
03-07-2004, 08:24 AM
my first tourney was at campaign cup 2003, my first ever game was against NEXUS on the x-ball field with me in the 50, i got there think i took 1 or 2, looked around to see all my team in the deadbox. Double muggin OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony3
03-07-2004, 08:28 AM
I got bunkered my first tourney game ever:( I held my own though 1 on 3.

UltimatePaintballer
03-07-2004, 05:56 PM
well, the tourny didn't go so well, we won 1 out of 6 games. my gun broke at the begginning and then would only chrono at 170-190. my teammates weren't the best either but i will do it again.

tony3
03-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Ouch, what place?

lamby
03-08-2004, 01:18 AM
baller, All that matters for the first tourney was that you had fun. Our first 3man at BFG we got WAXED!! I think we came in 3rd from last. that was only 1 1/2 years ago. we are much better now