PDA

View Full Version : some strange findings with RT Regulator

slushee
03-04-2004, 05:29 AM
Okay .. here's the story .. something I found that you may find interesting.

So we have all see the dyno screen-shots here. They show that the Angels fire at a certain pressure, then it slowly builds up pressure and it can take up to 10 seconds to go back up to the pressure it was at before that shot.

The dyno graph shows that the RT regulator, after a shot, allows instantanious recharging to a pressure thats usually a tiny bit higher then the initial shot.

Okay .. so now we know the theory.

I take my RTPro Valve .. everything is set up prefectly .. my marker shoots darts .. it is relatively air efficient .. doesn't chuff or chop balls.

I have my AA Raptor valve set to 750psi output. I shoot until the tank pressure is approx 750psi. The marker starts to chuff becuause i'm low on air. I will chuff the marker until it does not fire again (not enough pressure in the dump chamber to push the bolt forward). Okay .. so I wait a minute ... then I pull the trigger ... "CHUFF" .... okay .. so what does this tell me?

This tells me that my RT regulator is experiencing the same thing that was experienced by the Angel regulator. After about a minute, the RT reg will build the pressure back up to what it was.

Isn't the RT regulator NOT supposed to expierience this problem?

Anyhow .. PLEASE smart ppl ... I know there are a lot of smart ppl out there .. please tell me i'm imagining things..

Tunaman
03-04-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by slushee
Okay .. here's the story .. something I found that you may find interesting.

So we have all see the dyno screen-shots here. They show that the Angels fire at a certain pressure, then it slowly builds up pressure and it can take up to 10 seconds to go back up to the pressure it was at before that shot.

The dyno graph shows that the RT regulator, after a shot, allows instantanious recharging to a pressure thats usually a tiny bit higher then the initial shot.

Okay .. so now we know the theory.

I take my RTPro Valve .. everything is set up prefectly .. my marker shoots darts .. it is relatively air efficient .. doesn't chuff or chop balls.

I have my AA Raptor valve set to 750psi output. I shoot until the tank pressure is approx 750psi. The marker starts to chuff becuause i'm low on air. I will chuff the marker until it does not fire again (not enough pressure in the dump chamber to push the bolt forward). Okay .. so I wait a minute ... then I pull the trigger ... "CHUFF" .... okay .. so what does this tell me?

This tells me that my RT regulator is experiencing the same thing that was experienced by the Angel regulator. After about a minute, the RT reg will build the pressure back up to what it was.

Isn't the RT regulator NOT supposed to expierience this problem?

Anyhow .. PLEASE smart ppl ... I know there are a lot of smart ppl out there .. please tell me i'm imagining things.. "The marker starts to chuff because i'm low on air." You answered your own question. Dont shoot it when its low on air. DOH! :D

slushee
03-04-2004, 06:19 AM
but if its happening when the pressure is low, why would things change if the pressure is high?

I'm sure i'm imagining things .. but I wouldn't mind having someone who understands regulators a bit more then me tell me the "scientific" reason for it.

dyst0pia
03-04-2004, 07:13 AM
because there simply isn't enough pressure to properly cycle the RT valve.

Joni
03-04-2004, 07:24 AM
Here's my theory:
What makes the RT recharge so fast is the fact that it dumps the input pressure into the chamber, and then regulates (or something like that). Anyway, its the fact that the input pressure is high that gives the fast recharge rate, so giving it low intput pressure will seriously lower the recharge rate.

athomas
03-04-2004, 09:01 AM
When you are low on air there is little or no pressure differential between the bottle and the dump chamber. The air has to pass through two regulators. The regulators won't open properly to allow air to pass. Therefore, the air just seeps past the regulators. That's why the rt valve will recharge but it takes a long time.

The problem with the angel is that it operates at a fairly low pressure all the time.

steveg
03-04-2004, 03:02 PM
actually andy you are a bit off. a regulator is WIDE OPEN
until air is applied, and closes when it reaches it's set point.

the spring against the piston, and then reg pin pushes the
pin open. air pressure pushes against the piston, the piston against
the spring forcing it away from the reg pin. when the
set pressure is reached the piston moves far enough so that
the reg pin "seats" against the reg seat.

Kevn 419
03-05-2004, 08:09 PM
i got a older agd flatline n2 system and a classic rt, and whenever i try to shoot somewhat fast my tank loses major pressure and then my paint just rolls out the end of the barrel... any answers to this problem?

my setup:
classic rt (few years old)
lvl 10- 2 shims, 1 groove 1 dot carrier
agd flatline tank (few years old as well)

Maffer
03-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Turn up the output pressure Kevn, that doesn't sound healthy :)

magattack
03-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I tihnk i can answer this
The valve stops chuffing, that means that the air inside does not ahve enough pressure to fire, because you have rapidly decreased the air pressure your N2 bottle is cool. not when you let it sit for a while the tank warms up again and there is more pressure so it allows another chuff :)

Maffer
03-07-2004, 10:42 PM
When you fire the gun, the valve recharges so fast the air molecules heat up, and expand more. This allow less air into the valve, not allowing the gun to shoot. When the gun and the air cool off, the reg allows more air into the valve, and it builds up enough pressure to allow you to shoot one more time. If you continued to do this, eventually you would not be able to do it any more.
I think that was the answer you were looking for, in which case it shoulda been in the Deep Blue section :p

Kevn 419
03-08-2004, 03:57 PM
to turn up the output pressure what do i do?

Maffer
03-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Not sure yet Kev, will be getting my Flatline from PlatinumJason (BEST SELLER on the forums and a great guy) in about a week, you'll have to start a new thread, or search for one.

slushee
03-11-2004, 02:19 AM
Maffer..

Thankyou!!!!!!

Drizit
03-11-2004, 12:28 PM
the reason it's not recharging at full speed it that regulators realy should have about 200psi differance accross every reg, so if your rt valve is at say 450psi then your AA needs to have 650 coming out the front of it for the RT to recharge properly and in turn it needs 850 behind it for it to recharge, that's at minimum. now as your AA is set to 750 you need 950 in the tank for everything to behave as it should, once you get lower then that regs will start slowing down. first the AA will start to charge slower and thus the RT will slow down, when you get to 750 in the tank the AA will realy start to slow down because it's not regulating anything. As your tank gets lower still the AA will get even slower, just be glad it's working the way it should my 32degrees tank wouldn't recharge fastenough for more then 1 shot every 10 seconds below 2000psi (now that was a busted reg)