PDA

View Full Version : Swear Filter...

i like tictacs
03-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Instead of editing the posts in which an offender has activated the filter (I can't count how many times i see a **** or a ****** in a thread, only hours later to be replaced with *POOF* or something) Just set the filter up so that it automatically removes the word and stars. Pbreview uses this, for example it would be "shut the up"

Insert swear word where it should have been, and it's completely gone. Not only does it get rid of the word/stars but also makes the perpetrator feel like an imbecile. Therefore alleviating any problems in the future. It just seems more logical then having to edit posts and whatnot, which I know is time consuming.

-=Squid=-
03-04-2004, 05:07 PM
I dont understand why its considered cursing when its replaced by stars. Personally, I think thats stupid. Whats the difference between asterisks and a blank space? What if I just put an underline?

tony3
03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
I think they should do the blank spot, its the best way imo.

i like tictacs
03-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
I dont understand why its considered cursing when its replaced by stars. Personally, I think thats stupid. Whats the difference between asterisks and a blank space? What if I just put an underline?

I agree totally. But it was just a suggestion, whether they use it or not doesn't effect me, it would just make alot of people's lives easier.

-=Squid=-
03-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by i like tictacs

I agree totally. But it was just a suggestion, whether they use it or not doesn't effect me, it would just make alot of people's lives easier. I just think its lame when people get banned over asterisks...

f3rr3+
03-04-2004, 05:41 PM
whats wrong with the stars in the first place... if you can count the stars to figure out what word it was you have obviously been exposed to it before... so whats the big deal?

i like tictacs
03-04-2004, 05:45 PM
I just think its lame when people get banned over asterisks...

True, I was agreeing with you. Even though people complain you spam or whatever, you are one of the few who actually has some intelligence.

-=Squid=-
03-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by i like tictacs

True, I was agreeing with you. Even though people complain you spam or whatever, you are one of the few who actually has some intelligence. Thats insane. I think thats like, the best compliment ive ever gotten on these boards. :D

By the way, by spam I guess you mean post whore, and I dont post whore.

ZAust
03-04-2004, 06:01 PM
i know with some forum software, you can choose to replace some words with other words all together. ive seen forums that replaced smart parts with evil nazis, or something of the like. why not use that feature?

Restola
03-04-2004, 06:06 PM
I just think its lame when people get banned over asterisks...
I think its lame when people can't express themselves in a mature way.

i like tictacs
03-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Because as soon as someone swears, they are not mature at all. Nope not even this much.

:rolleyes:

-=Squid=-
03-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Restola

I think its lame when people can't express themselves in a mature way. I think its lame when somebody tries to act like they dont ever swear. :rolleyes:

Load SM5
03-04-2004, 07:17 PM
I think it's lame when people can't follow the stinkin' rules and cuss, type aterisks or otherwise circumvent the very well explained rules and make me waste minutes of my life fixing their crap and possible ban them because reading and understanding seem to escape them.

All could be avoided if you guys JUST DON'T DO IT. Then we're all happy.

sneakyhacker420
03-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Load SM5
I think it's lame when people can't follow the stinkin' rules and cuss, type aterisks or otherwise circumvent the very well explained rules and make me waste minutes of my life fixing their crap and possible ban them because reading and understanding seem to escape them.

All could be avoided if you guys JUST DON'T DO IT. Then we're all happy. learn to live with what you are given, its that simple

i used to get whiny like this about the swearing, but 3 3-day bans later, and the fact that i run my own forum now, i understand why they do these kinds of things

-=Squid=-
03-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Load SM5

All could be avoided if you guys JUST DON'T DO IT. Then we're all happy. Good point... but can you tell me why its procedure for you to punish/type POOF in place of asterisks? Its not hurting anybody, and is no worse than censor bars on television.

i like tictacs
03-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Exactly.

bornl33t
03-04-2004, 08:17 PM
one thing I've learned on AO is that if you dislike something, you can complain till you're blue in the face but nothing happenes. However if you cuss a handfull of times or at least type the stars out it will shut down the thread really quick... even if it is illegal and a little unorthodox it's the only way to get rid of topics that shouldn't be here anyway...

yeah I'm a brat:D

Barfly
03-04-2004, 09:01 PM
I don't like filters, just get rid of them. hell they say chit on TV and it is ok. Hell who cares americas youth are so desensitized now censors are almost pointless.

Load SM5
03-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Good point... but can you tell me why its procedure for you to punish/type POOF in place of asterisks? Its not hurting anybody, and is no worse than censor bars on television.

Because, asterisks are often typed as a way of circumventing the cuss filters and as such are against the rules. The rules were set down before I was made a mod and I am expected to and will continue to enforce those rules. Pretty simple really.

Don't worry I'm going to try to be a little more original than *POOF* from now on.;)

Originally posted by Barfly
I don't like filters, just get rid of them. hell they say chit on TV and it is ok. Hell who cares americas youth are so desensitized now censors are almost pointless.

Well this is a privately owned forum. And the owner of the forums said he wants his PG, so therefore, it's PG. If you don't like it find a forum where you can cuss all you like, then come back when you get it out of your system. It's a big internet. god knows I cuss myself but I'm mature enough to turn it off when it's not appropriate.

cphilip
03-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Its fairly simple.

The curse filter is there to keep someones child that might be surfing with them from seeing the actual word. Its not there so you can curse and get away with it. For some reason some of you seem to think so. But that would be fairly stupid wouldn't it?

The rules say do not curse. They do not say curse and we will cover that up for you so go ahead and curse cause we gonna let the filter cover your arse! No no no... WRONG!

The rules are two fold. Don't curse and do not trigger or circumvent the curse filter. FOR A REASON!

We block it from showing so no child (or anyone that might be offended) can see it. Until we find it and correct it. *Poof* is an example of us correcting it and warning you. That filter is there for OUR purpose, not yours...

And then when we find you have triggered it we know you cursed! Then you suffer the consequences for breaking the rules. And you know the rules.

Now many is a time we migh over look a mild one. But one said in anger or a muliple tirade is going to get you a warning or perhaps a ban. Simple rules.

-=Squid=-
03-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Well, I rarely curse on these forums, and simply wondered why. I got my answer. Thanks mods, im officially satisfied.

PyRo
03-05-2004, 12:51 AM
What if I don't curse and just type the astrics, then it isn't covering anything.

Restola
03-05-2004, 12:58 AM
I think its lame when somebody tries to act like they dont ever swear. :rolleyes:
Sorry I can follow simple rules.

Its part of growing up.

Load SM5
03-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by PyRo
What if I don't curse and just type the astrics, then it isn't covering anything.

Still considered circumenting the cuss filters, the same and putting an "l" instead of an "I", putting a space in the middle of a cuss word, and any other lame trick.

breg
03-05-2004, 07:56 AM
Or, you could not swear, and in doing so you could find a way to express yourself more eloquently; there by getting your point across all the better.

Trust me, it's hard to edit your speech for places where you can't swear, but it is possible.

cphilip
03-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by PyRo

You take you chances then. Moderating is interpretation sometimes. If you want to risk it then thats up to you. For instance if I see a heated debate going and someone types in "**** you" then I could care less if you typed it or the filter did. If I can interpret that you ment to avoid the filter and wanted to "suggest" a curse then I would call it that. Again the filter is just there to prevent the display of th word. The rules go beyond that for a reason. To allow us to interpret intent and meaning and give us a clear rule that puts you on notice we can interpret it that way. So if you want to manualy trigger or recreate the filter process you run the same risk.

For one thing Cursing is a habit. You should try and get out of that habit. Often if you get into the habit of doing it you will do it accidently when upset at an inappropriate moment. Best to train yourself not too. And its even easier to do it when you have to type it and then submit it. You got two chances to think about it. Unlike speaking with emotion. So there is little excuse for it when its clearly against the rules.

-=Squid=-
03-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Restola

Sorry I can follow simple rules.

Its part of growing up. Tell me how often you see me cuss on these forums please... unless your just being general in that statement.

Thordic
03-05-2004, 09:47 AM
I live in Jersey. I feel my lifestyle is being oppressed and unfairly put down to conform to the "norms" of others. :(

cphilip
03-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Thordic
I live in Jersey. I feel my lifestyle is being oppressed and unfairly put down to conform to the "norms" of others. :(

Its not just a feeling. Its true! :D

Thordic
03-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Help! I'm being oppressed!

cphilip
03-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Secretly we Mods reffer to the Curse Filter as "The New Jersey Smack down"

:cool:

Load SM5
03-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Well it's hardly a secret anymore...good job Phil.:mad:

Thordic
03-05-2004, 11:10 AM
:(

PyRo
03-05-2004, 11:28 AM
So what if I just replace every other word in a post with astrics? :)

Example:
So **** if * replace ***** other **** in * post **** astrics?

No swear word with the respective amount of letters would make any sence is put into one of those spaces

cphilip
03-05-2004, 01:57 PM
In your case I would just reset your post count to Zero....

:eek:

Meph
03-05-2004, 02:36 PM
MODS: Shut up, will you? Shut up!

FORUMER: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

MODS: Shut up!

FORUMER: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

MODS: Bloody peasant!

FORUMER: Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?