PDA

View Full Version : cocker owner thinking about a mag

sitting_duck
03-05-2004, 12:14 AM
first off i'd like to assure you guys that even though i live in cocker country i don't think mags are crap...far from it in fact. the few (and i do mean there are very few) mag owners in my area seem to be very happy with theirs and i have only once seen a mag go down. admittedly i've only seen about 7-10 but the majority of those are many years old and have been through hell and still work.

anyway, i'm aware that mags don't have a problem with chopping (LVL10), are heavy (ULE), etc. i am curious about a few things though. i have searched a bit but i just want to make sure that i am on the right track before i get in over my head.

my main two questions are regarding reactivity and efficiency. i currently have a preset (800psi) 70/4500 crossfire stubby. i have read that many people like the reactivity they get when the input pressure is around 800psi. if this is the case, then i'm golden. on the other hand, i've i start experiencing run-away/full auto, and i correct in thinking that using a different sized on/off pin will fix this? i have also noticed that the ULT trigger kit supposedly fixes all run-away problems but is a pain to tune correctly, especially in the hands of a mag newb like myself. if this is true, would i be correct in assuming that it would be better holding off on the ULT trigger kit until i learn more about the workings of the mag? or should i just dive in headfirst and see what happens ;) ?

my next query is probably the most frequently asked newb questions on this forum.....how many shots per fill (when run on the aforementioned 70/45)? i know that the mag won't be as efficient as my cocker but i can accept that. the only reason i'm asking this is because there seems to be a large variance between efficiency numbers given. the range seems to be anywhere from 600 to 1000 shots per fill and i'm wondering what the factors are that are influencing this.

at the moment those are the only questions i have, but i'm sure i'll have more in the future, especially if i decide to get a mag. BTW, i'm looking to purchase a RT ULE custom with the ULE body, intelliframe and possibly the ULT trigger depending on what you guys have to say regarding it.

thanks for the help in advance:D

Joni
03-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Well regarding efficiency: With a 70/45, I would expect about 900-1200 shots. I doubt it would be as low as 600, that's probably with 3000 psi. The factors that come in to play is the barrel (porting, length) and ball/bore match.

I have yet to know first hand how to install a ULT, but seeing as you are a cocker guy, I doubt that you will have any problems learning how to take care of a mag (much simpler operation imo). A couple of hours reading on the web, and reading the manual you should know most anything you will need to know, and everything else you can ask here.

The ULT really has only one option: the number of shims. I can't really see where that can be hard to get it right, but I guess I will find out once I get my RTP on monday.

Having a longer on/off will take care of FA problem as well.

tonybhall
03-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Hey Duck,

I have the exact set up you are thinking about getting and I have the ULT. Joni is correct, there is really just one adjustment to make to it and that is done with shims. They are easy to do. However, each mag is diff. and I can't say that yours will be as easy as mine to get right. I have a team mate that has one and his is not as easy to adjust. Also, with the ULT the tolerances are so exact that something as simple as overtightening the field strip screw just a little can throw off you settings.

Having said all that, I highly recommend the ULT. It is worth the trouble. Once you get it right, she rocks.

I am not real sure about efficiency. To be honest I just don't care. But, I think I probably get around 800 shots with my crossfire 68/4500 at 850 PSI.

Hope this helps
Bryan

lbonettosd
03-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Hey Duck,
I can't help you out with the ULT question (haven't bought one yet), but I own 2 mags (a 68 classic and an X valved MiniMag) both of which have level X's. The LX is easy to tune once you read about it here (automags.org home page), so I would assume the ULT wouldn't be too hard.

As far as efficiintcy is concerned, I have a WGP 70/45 preset at 800psi and last weekend with my 68 classic I shot 800 balls. Now that was with an AA barrel, Midnight paint and the tank was only filled to 4k, then when I went to get it filled again the guage still read just under (like a hair under) 1k. Now I've never really paid attention to how efficient my X-valve is but I'm pretty sure that its got to be a little better than my Classic.

And welcome to AO!:)

sitting_duck
03-05-2004, 02:13 PM
thanks for the help guys. i'm still debating getting the ULT. I think if i do get a mag, it might be best to get one without it and see how i like it. If i have run-away problems, then i'll probably spring for it.

Maffer
03-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Acually lbonettosd, the X-Valve would be a little bit less efficient than the classic because of the lvlX. I run my mag on a 3000 PSI tank, and get just under half a case out of a fill. On the runaway, the ULT effectively kills all run away, and if you switch out the on/off pin that could cause runaway if you get one which is too short, I believe. Hope that helps some.