PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on replacing twist-lock

deathstalker
03-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Anyone know any good tips for replacing the twist-lock assembly? I'm trying to use my No-Rise body on my E-Mag, which came with a ULE. I've probably got another half centimeter to go and it just won't budge.

lbonettosd
03-05-2004, 09:23 AM
I've never personally removed one, but I would that you should probably soak it with some type of penetrating oil (like WD40). Then try to tap it out with a rubber mallet, or work it out with some pliers.

deathstalker
03-05-2004, 10:18 AM
I'll see if lube does the trick. However, getting it out wasn't a problem. Getting it back in is.

Still open to suggestions!

CaliMagFan
03-05-2004, 01:36 PM
well,... the ule body cant take the twist lock, you need to use cocker barrels for that.... i'm figuring you know that and are puttingthe twist lock on a ule rtpro that came with the ule body... anyways, back that twist lock out if the hole and put some lubricant in there... gun oil is great for that, then use an adjustable wrenchthat is open just enough so that the pin in teh twist lock is in the space between the "fingers" of the wrench... the sides of the wrench "fingers" should be rest on the flat parts of the top of the twist lock assembly. then you should have clearance just to smack that sucker with a hammer for that stubborn centimeter or so.... good luck. its AGD stuff, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin... so dont fret if you hit it wrong... and they're $cheap$.. heh

good luck again-
kyro

deathstalker
03-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Don't worry, I know my 'Mags. :)

I'll admit I'm afraid to take a hammer to it. A "minor" slip last night caused me to ruin one assembly. I thought that because it was spring loaded, I could whack at it all night long. Well, that didn't work and I learned the hard way. So I'm down to one last assembly and I want to make sure I don't make it inoperable. I tried to unscrew the screw under the assembly to take out the spring and pin, but I think there might be some corrosion or Loctite on it because it won't budge. I actually put several twists in the allen wrench I used. I'll use my vise grips tonight.

It's not the money I'm worried about, but time. I need to make sure I have 4 markers up and running for myself and some friends for Sunday:
1. E-Mag (preferably with the No-Rise because I currently cannot hook up my Warp to the vert ULE)
2. Mech X-Valve'd 'Mag (preferably with the ULE body that came on my E)
3. Autococker that just doesn't want me to sweetspot the reg
4. My good ol' trusty never-had-a-single-problem Hyperframe'd Xtra.

As it stands, I have two fully functional guns: the Spyder and one Mag (either the mech or the E, but not both). If I can get the twist lock assembly back into one of the rails (I'm not even picky at this point), I only need to worry about my 'cocker.

Cthulhu
03-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Wow, Penetrating oil? Hammers? Have you guys actually taken one out?

Its real simple..

Items you need.

Your rail with the twistlock assy.
a Small Socket (Largh enough to go around the TA)
A Vice
A Cloth

Place the socket over the top of the rail, with the twistlock assy in the center of the socket.

Put the combo in the vice, one cleat pushing on the twa, the other on the socket. Use the cloth to protect any of the rail that might touch the vice.

Snug up the vice. Slowly turn the vice tigher so that it presses the assy out. you should not need a lot of force for this although it might take a little to get it moving.

At some point the assy will let go.

The assy is tapered, it must be pushed out from the bottom so it exits the top (top being where the body sits).

I have actually done this, I have not damaging my rail by bending it, and the ta is re-usable.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

deathstalker
03-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Wow, Penetrating oil? Hammers? Have you guys actually taken one out?
Yes, I have removed assemblies several times and I can do it in less time than it would take you to get everything in a vise. Have you actually read anything I have posted? An informal poll indicates 67% of AO users don't bother to read the first post in a thread.

I am not trying to remove the twist lock assembly. It's already out. I need to get it back in!

If you have any tips for putting the assembly BACK IN to the rail, I'm all ears.

Cthulhu
03-05-2004, 05:31 PM
The response was directed more to the responses that were posted after the question. I guess I got caught up in what they were trying to explain.

Anyways, a vice is still my best suggestion for putting it back in. Place a bolt over the TA and a socket over the back side and press it back in.

[]==<====]====

^Bolt ^TA ^Socket

Hope that helps.

deathstalker
03-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks! I had a few other responses ready, but I thought they were a little too, ah, "colorful."

A bolt over the assembly sounds like a good idea. I'll try that first, though whacking things with a hammer is a guilty pleasure. :D