PDA

View Full Version : Drop forward (or lack thereof) Preferances

Cryer
03-06-2004, 07:08 PM
I guess I just want to see what everyone likes and why... Me personally, I'm anti-drop forward. I use a CP rail and love it, even tho I play in the snake.

I feel I can actually get a faster ROF on both mech and E guns.

Started out, I had a Tippman set up like a rifle, then dropped it 7 inches. When I first got my mag, I used a dropZone. For all of 1 game. then I had an Angled shocktech mini, which I later switched for my rail. I guess I'm back almost to the point where I started...lol

Anyways, post your thoughts...

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
03-06-2004, 07:17 PM
the drop on my mag extends about 2 inches infront of the frame.

I like it but I think I'm going to try a rail, on my next setup

magman007
03-06-2004, 07:18 PM
well it depends. on my angel, with the space frame, i loved my rail drop, but on 45 grips, i like my shocktech drop... surprisingly its a long...

tony3
03-06-2004, 07:18 PM
I started with a Physco Ballistics drop, that thing was huge. Then went to a shocktech long, then a shocktech medium, then a systemx web, then a duckbill, and I finally settled at a cp rail:D

PRPB
03-06-2004, 07:24 PM
I use a Drop Zone right now. I plan on getting a cp or shocktech mini drop soon.

03-06-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm just feeling perfect with my speed's 90* frame and 68/4500 with rail.

So I guess no drops.

Load SM5
03-06-2004, 07:51 PM
I prefer no drops or rails. My SFL has a unimount on it and my RT Pro has a cut 'geddon rail drop put on backwards to drop back my 45K Flatline. Anything else and it's just not comfy for me.

Methylphenidate
03-06-2004, 07:55 PM
i use a rail drop i like it for a couple of reasons
the first is that it lowers your guns profile. i find this makes it easier for snapp shooting.
second because it is longer it lets you push into sup air bunkers more.
and third also has to do with the gun being longer it makes so that my wrist is not cocked nearly as much one this is more comfortable way to hold the gun and it helps me walk the trigger faster.

Havoc_online
03-06-2004, 08:08 PM
ever since I stopped using drop's, I've consistently been getting double the kills I used to, it's just such a better platform to fire from. I use a CP rail mounted backwards, my long arms are picky :p

Digits
03-06-2004, 08:13 PM
I love my uni-mount.. Im hesitant to get a stationary tank because I love the feel of it so much..

trains are bad
03-06-2004, 08:16 PM
I run a mere 2" or so, but on a ygrip, which is kind of like a meduim/long drop. I like it like that, my marker in my face, it's just my style.

-Tab
03-06-2004, 08:20 PM
i like 'em about 3.5 - 4.5 inches. it just fits me a lot better. i voted for medium

RenagadeOfFunk
03-06-2004, 08:27 PM
I use a category 5 drop....one of the first ever in fact...
patent pending... :)

Its adjustable so i think its fly...when i put it straight down it just feels like the gun is heavier but no tank...

http://store6.yimg.com/I/actionvillage_1779_28071163

FreakBaller12
03-06-2004, 08:33 PM
no drop, i am using a max flo, well in 4 days i am, come on ups man, come on!;)

TraXeR
03-06-2004, 08:41 PM
2-3 inches if i want long games, make it easier on my arm, 7+ if im gonna play speedball with rotating teams for the 'real tight' ability. just me.

50 cal
03-06-2004, 08:47 PM
I like the medium drops. It balances a lot better for me. After shooting handguns and rifles so much, I don't like the way the no drop or rails make my wrist feel un-natural while gripping the gun.

ramenjames
03-06-2004, 08:51 PM
shcoktech long drop
so i guess its about 5-7in ....i use a 72/30 ...the funny thing is even with the drop my tank still sticks out about as far as a 20oz would with out a drop

RRfireblade
03-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Medium drop. Couple of inches forward and down 1 1/2".

Maybe if I had "Girly" forearms,I could get away with less.;)

robdamanii
03-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Depends on the setup.

Huge on my speed, small on my mag.

FallNAngel
03-07-2004, 01:23 AM
On my Worrblade I just had a phat on/off mounted on the bottom. When I get my Cyborg, I'll probably just have a CP Rail with the Phat on/off on that.

RoadDawg
03-07-2004, 01:48 AM
I'm a large and in charge kind of drop guy. Many that have held my setup know it's small and packs a punch. Gibby knows first hand as he held it today and felt it a couple AO meets ago. ;) *no Gibby I'll never let that go*

hAppy
03-07-2004, 02:57 AM
humungo drops give you the capability to scratch the back of your head while walkin the trigger

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-2/644236/William5a.jpg

http://www.digikitten.com/playhousev2/files/Bunkerboy/losedadrop.jpg

tony3
03-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Awesone Pic Happy

sime
03-07-2004, 10:51 AM
it does depend on setup for me. i have 2 mags:

-intelliframe w/88 long tank, it has about a 4-5" drop just to keep it balanced

-Y-framed with a 68 or 45, on a rail (evil)

so there is no right answer, BUT yes, long drops that make the butt of the tank flush with the valve are just wrong, how do you play like that anyways?

though it is all about personal preference and comfort.

Rumble
03-07-2004, 02:15 PM
well, i just bought a CP microdrop at skyball the otherday, and got to play with it yesterday. Got to say, i love it! exactly what i needed.

Cryer
03-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Havoc_online
ever since I stopped using drop's, I've consistently been getting double the kills I used to, it's just such a better platform to fire from. I use a CP rail mounted backwards, my long arms are picky :p

I notice that too... I can fire faster, plus it seems easier to point my paint in the right direction. I bought a Shockteck mini before texball, used it the first match, and switched it out for my CP rail as soon as I got time.

After I got home, I actually put it on backwards...:p I like it better than normal (but not as much as my rail;))

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-2/644236/William5a.jpg
That pic hurts me:eek:

OysterBoy
03-07-2004, 09:16 PM
None;

duckbill.

hAppy
03-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by OysterBoy
None;

duckbill. ewwwwwwwww duckbills are worse than drops poor guy, its even worse if you have it on an xmag... which im assuming by your sig

Cryer
03-07-2004, 09:55 PM
The only reason I dont use a duckbill, is theres no way to turn the tank on/off...;)

Python14
03-07-2004, 10:28 PM
For a while, I had an angled Shocktech mini mounted backwards so it angled the tank up. I was using a 45/45 so it was still a compact setup. It was probably the most comfortable setup since I held chucks Dallara-vert-x.

OysterBoy
03-07-2004, 10:30 PM
nope, teh ducky is a 45* angled one on my 'pistolette'. reason why I have it is cause im too poor to afford one.

Seriously, its not a 'lol' situation..

magman109
03-08-2004, 07:41 PM
For me it really depends on the type of field I'm playing on. For air ball I always use a rail because you can push into the bunker, but if I'm playing on a solid-bunkered field (ball wall ect.) I like to use a long drop and short barrel so I can get closer to the bunker.

~WarpedRT#2~
03-08-2004, 08:33 PM
I have that Dead On drop off that 4 in the first picture, and I have it on my SPeed, like in the second picture. Big drop, and I love it.

evan123
03-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by tony3
I started with a Physco Ballistics drop, that thing was huge. Then went to a shocktech long, then a shocktech medium, then a systemx web, then a duckbill, and I finally settled at a cp rail:D

...that i gave you.

It all depends for tanks for me.

For a 45 ci i like a rail with on.off like i have on my mag.
For a 68ci i like a medium drop to small
for a 88ci i like a shocktech long
114 ci= psycho ballistic

Cheeseball24
03-08-2004, 09:03 PM
just got a cp micro and i love it

GoatBoy
03-09-2004, 02:02 AM
/me sighs.

I have this "LX-3 Dynamount" drop which, with a duckbill, kind of puts it in between what's considered no drop, and a small drop, with the exception of being able to swivel the tank and offset it. I should have bought 3 or 4 of these suckers when I did, because I can't find them anymore. The front protrusion where it swivels also serves as my grip, which is really quite comfortable.

I think the design was purchased by ViewLoader from someone in Texas, and then the product vanished. Damnit.

I have two Unimounts waiting in backup should this one die on me.

By the way, large dropforwards seemingly came in during the era of larger tanks and back players who wanted to be able to sit and dump paint comfortably. The anti-drop thing apparently started with the front players. Look at the results of the poll. Things that make you go "hrmmn", eh?

hAppy
03-09-2004, 02:07 AM
everyone started w/ a large or a humungo drop cus it was the cool thing for a newbie to have

than you try other setups like a medium, than a small, than a unimount setup, and it makes you go "holy crap i hate those giant drops now"

we all been there

GoatBoy
03-09-2004, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by xXhAppyAznXx
everyone started w/ a large or a humungo drop cus it was the cool thing for a newbie to have

than you try other setups like a medium, than a small, than a unimount setup, and it makes you go "holy crap i hate those giant drops now"

we all been there

Depends on when you started playing paintball, you whippersnapper. :)

I started with ... hrm, what did I start with. 1 sec let me check... OK, here's the progression:

1. Front mounted 7oz horizontal on my VM-68
2. Vertical 4oz on the minimag ASA
3. Duckbill bottomline with the 4oz/7oz
4. 110ci, remote -- I went with 110ci because I didn't feel like getting overcharged for HPA by the fields at the time, otherwise I would have gotten something more reasonable and kept it on-gun, like the 53ci's.
5. LX-3 swivel mount, pretty much has stayed with me to this day. 48ci 3k, 45/45 tanks
6. "my other mag" now has a unimount with the 7oz CO2 tank from #1, and actually sees a lot of action on the field.

So... nope, sorry, I never followed the fads. I thought the large drops sucked from the get-go. It's kind of funny how I've come full circle with the 7oz CO2 tank though...

My knowledge of this one is a little fuzzy, but who made the first drop, anyways?

~WarpedRT#2~
03-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by xXhAppyAznXx

we all been there

I think it's more "newbish" to do what the pros do, just because they do it. I use a large drop, because I like it, and I am not a newbie. Let other prople use what they want, and dont be critical of it. Also, i've never heard anyone say "HaHa! you may have shot me, but you use a drop, so you are gay, and it doesnt count"

Torbo
03-09-2004, 05:27 PM
i used a lapco drop, then a long system x. Now ive got a short (2 in) system x on my cocker. im playing with an impy with a bottomline maxy, so that too. When i get a timmy, its getting a unimount.

so i guess i like either a short drop or a rail/unimount depending on the setup.

young7786
03-09-2004, 08:19 PM
It all depends on the gun being used. I use unimounts on both of my guns, but they feel different.

On my autococker with Planet Eclipse hinge trigger, the unimount fits perfectly with my 68 ci tank.

On my Emag, the unimount makes the gun feel a little long, because the emag trigger frame is a bit bigger and longer than my eclipse hinge. I'm still trying to get used to it.

Cryer
03-09-2004, 08:27 PM
I heard this somewhere, not sure if its true... and since so many of us appearantly use these I thought I might ask here:

Do unimounts have an automatic bleed-off system? (so when you turn off the tank by screwing the knob out, it bleeds off the extra pressure)

GoatBoy
03-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Cryer
I heard this somewhere, not sure if its true... and since so many of us appearantly use these I thought I might ask here:

Do unimounts have an automatic bleed-off system? (so when you turn off the tank by screwing the knob out, it bleeds off the extra pressure)

Sort of. Not really what I would consider a "feature". That's how I use mine, although I would rather have a slide check off to the side (not in the path of air flow) to do this. The knob directly pushes on the pin which presses down the pin valve; the air seal is actually on the unimount near the threads of the knob, so if you back the knob out enough, past the threads, it vents.

My opinion is, the more you back it out, the more you expose those threads and stuff to dirt, plus when the air rushes out, there goes the lube that was on the threads as well.

hAppy
03-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by ~WarpedRT#2~

"HaHa! you may have shot me, but you use a drop, so you are gay, and it doesnt count" thats hilarious lol

drops are good for mechanicals, easier to fan or just pull IMO
no-drop is good for electros, easier to walk IMO

Dubstar112
03-10-2004, 12:11 PM
http://www.geocities.com/jibbinfatboy/Left_grass.jpg
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1028006
http://www.geocities.com/jibbinfatboy/Leftview.jpg

Anti dropforward in every respect. My mag had a drop, but thats only because I had it before the flatline was availible with a railmount :(.

Cryer
03-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Dubstar!

What rail/ASA is that? Logamus has one just like that on his Shocker. We were trying to figure it out, but couldnt... never seen one before. (that one bleeds off when you unscrew it, right?)

Dubstar112
03-10-2004, 12:15 PM
On my cocker? Its a System X I believe. Its just an on/off asa. Came with the rail and asa when I bought it. Maybe 30 bucks or so locally.

Cryer
03-10-2004, 12:16 PM
hmmm... Got any closer/more detailed pics of it?

Dubstar112
03-10-2004, 12:18 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1027831
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1027829

Sorry 'bout the low resolution.

Cryer
03-10-2004, 12:19 PM
cool... Does that one bleed off pressure as you unscrew it?

Dubstar112
03-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Yes. It works well. I try not to unscrew the tank TOO much, the threads are losing some sharpness, so I just use the on/off screw.

Its adjustability is lacking somewhat due to a short rail. However my frame has 4 holes to allow for some forward mounting.