PDA

View Full Version : Rico Apache... I picked up one myself

RoadDawg
03-06-2004, 08:32 PM
I picked up a Rico Apache today at the LA open. I hope to post a review and pics next weekend but my first impression is fantastic. It's light, holds 190 balls, and feeds 18 bps.

sneakyhacker420
03-06-2004, 08:34 PM
hehe... i love mine!

Digits
03-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by RenagadeOfFunkRTPcf
hehehe.....X-boarded Eggy light and 23bps....and about$65 less than a 20 bps halo :)

thats bs.. My brothers x-boarded eggy didn't even come close to feeding as fast as his or my halo..

Have you actually done a drop test and got 23 bps?

demonguy8
03-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by RenagadeOfFunkRTPcf
hehehe.....X-boarded Eggy light and 23bps....and about$65 less than a 20 bps halo :)

I hate to ALSO call bs but yeah.... BS

First of all Eggs dont come with Xboards... The origional egg2 board didnt have a name, the new board with the lever switch instead of a pushbutton was the Yboard (which had the exact same function as the REVolution's Xboard but different name), and the board that makes the claims of pushing the egg over 20 BPS is the Zboard.

Now I happen to be lucky enough to work at pbgear so Ive managed afford more than one hopper... At the moment I have a Y/Zboarded Egg2 (came with Y installed the Z) and a HALOb Zcode (which is a jame prevention board more than a increased bps board)

The only difference between Y and Z is no more speed adjust (who cares, most have it maxed anywayz) and that the Z board spins the impeller FASTER on the initial instant of turning on in order to attempt to get more BPS out..

Im sorry to say the halo still puts the EGG to shame on my gun a 2k3 Vision shocker (a big dissapointment since I like the eggs design much better)

Back on topic... Pbgear has a ton of the rico apaches in stock if anyone wanted one (shameless plug I know) I personally havent got/used one yet but I CAN vouch for ricochet as a company (used to be sponsored by them when I played for IL STATE REDBIRDS and their hoppers rocked)
Ive been told that its similar feeding rates to the Egg2 Y.

EDIT: o yeah the My egg 2 Z Board is currently for sale... Comes with the Y board also, and has NEVER been taken onto the field. The only trade I will consider is a rico Apache or a Qloader with me tossing some cash in. (another shameless plug)

RRfireblade
03-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by demonguy8

First of all Eggs dont come with Xboards... The origional egg2 board didnt have a name, the new board with the lever switch instead of a pushbutton was the Yboard (which had the exact same function as the REVolution's Xboard but different name), and the board that makes the claims of pushing the egg over 20 BPS is the Zboard.

The only difference between Y and Z is no more speed adjust (who cares, most have it maxed anywayz) and that the Z board spins the impeller FASTER on the initial instant of turning on in order to attempt to get more BPS out..

Just a little clarifiction:

There ONLY difference between the original board and the "Y" board(which in reality is NOT called a Y board by anyone but Forumites)is the on/off switch and minor simplification of the board circuit.The "Y" has no performance gain over the stock besides the on/off switch.

The "Z" board uses "X" technology for faster reaction times and variable spin rates including a max spin rate beyond all the previous boards and is noticably faster as well.

In any case,the Halo is and always be faster the the Egg in it's current config.

paint magnet
03-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Z board continue to spin the impellor for a fraction of a second after it should stop, using the flexibility of the impellor blades to apply a small amount of pressure to the ball stack and thus justify calling it a force-feed loader? (I'm not saying that the amount of force applied makes any difference in feed rate, but it would allow you to call it a 'force-feed' loader, and would substantiate claims of higher feed rates)

And I don't mean to be an *** but the Z-code software really can't do anything to prevent jamming, it just shuts off the motor before it fries itself in the event of a jam.

RRfireblade
03-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by paint magnet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Z board continue to spin the impellor for a fraction of a second after it should stop, using the flexibility of the impellor blades to apply a small amount of pressure to the ball stack and thus justify calling it a force-feed loader? (I'm not saying that the amount of force applied makes any difference in feed rate, but it would allow you to call it a 'force-feed' loader, and would substantiate claims of higher feed rates)

Yes,and it does.

However it's quite easy to argue the definition of "force feed" (as most Halo owners will do;))but you can't argue that the Halo is definately more force fed than the Egg.Overall,the Z'd Egg is a large improvement over the previous.

Oh and why does EVERY loader debate end in Halo v. Egg?:)

Let's try keep this on track with the posters intent.I,for one,would like to hear more about the Apache.

paint magnet
03-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade

Yes,and it does.

However it's quite easy to argue the definition of "force feed" (as most Halo owners will do;))but you can't argue that the Halo is definately more force fed than the Egg.Overall,the Z'd Egg is a large improvement over the previous.

I know, I'm just saying that basically the only purpose it serves is to allow Viewloader to truthfully call it a 'force-fed' loader :)

RRfireblade
03-06-2004, 09:39 PM

I know, I'm just saying that basically the only purpose it serves is to allow Viewloader to truthfully call it a 'force-fed' loader :)

:)

That and create HUGE arguements w/ Halo owners.

:D

ej_y4
03-06-2004, 10:06 PM
RoadDawg darn you, you made me get one today also, i also got a smoke one for ten bucks cheeper(floor model):p

RoadDawg
03-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by ej_y4
RoadDawg darn you, you made me get one today also, i also got a smoke one for ten bucks cheeper(floor model):p
The smoke ones are the best. I got the last (new in box) one. I almost convinced Gibby to get one earlier. He has a strong resistance to peer pressure. :) I probably wouldn't have gotten one if the price wasn't so nice but $10 cheaper is a hell of a price. Good job.

jtoothman25
03-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Drop test was performed today (PMI Premium Paint, 100 round test sample), and the hoppers were tested until empty. These were all averages of at least 3 drop tests.

Halo B - 19.0 bps
Ricochet Apache - 16.2 bps
Z-board Evlution II - 16.4 bps
X-board Revvy - 12.0 bps

The evlution, revvy and Halo had broken in motors with fresh batteries, while the Apache had a brand new motor. Once the motor breaks in, it'll speed up slightly.
This HaloB is also slightly slower than my other teammates HaloB, but that HaloB was sent in for repairs (switch fell off).

Everytime the Apache and the Zboarded Egg raced, a couple times they tied, but almost always the Zboarded Egg would finish 3 balls ahead. I dont know if maybe the last few balls in an Apache are slower because of the design, but thats how it ended up everytime. The Halo just blew both out of the water. Once my buddy would say "done", the apache or egg would still have about 10 to 15 balls left.

pwn

yaddatrance
03-07-2004, 02:14 AM
That's good info... how much are Apaches? I have a few
older guns which is in need of upgrades. I've always
liked how the richochet looks, just wasn't fond of the
speed. This new one may change my opinion...

FYI, for comparison the qloader pods with the minimum
recommended prewinds (6) will empty in ~2.3 seconds
With max recommended prewinds (10) I get ~1.8 seconds...

This is with the 100 rnd pods averaged over 5 different pods.

viper_ssc
03-07-2004, 02:30 AM
Apaches are about $100. It was well worth the price I think, its fast, looks cool and very light.

jtoothman25
03-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Is that Qloader time with all the tubing needed to get to the feed neck of your gun? 55 balls per second is way quick. I can shoot that fast though, with my pinky toe, behind my back. right..... I wish sarcasm could be heard on the computer..

RoadDawg
03-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by viper_ssc
Apaches are about $100. It was well worth the price I think, its fast, looks cool and very light.
I got mine for $60 :D Ricochet was at the LA Open trying to get them out on the market so they did a "special" price type of deal. It was something I could not pass up. Also for the Rico 2k people. New shells are on there way to supposedly boost the bps from 11 to 15. Heard it from the guy that works at Ricochet himself.

gibby
03-07-2004, 02:49 PM
YEP! You almost did talk me into it!! If I hadn't ordered my new halo b(z code and rip drive) I probably would have bought it. But the fact that he ran out kept me from buying it too. But it fed pretty fast. Very impressive indeed...light weight, simple design, pretty good feed rate.

sneakyhacker420
03-07-2004, 03:04 PM
what you do it time how long it takes for ALL the balls to drop out of the hopper, not how many will drop within 10 seconds

1stdeadeye
03-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Stop arguing darn it and post some Pics or vids of it in action!

What does it look like?

Hopefully not like the Wedge shaped Richochet!

viper_ssc
03-07-2004, 03:15 PM
The only pic I have of it.
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/p8ntball226/MVC-050F.jpg

1stdeadeye
03-07-2004, 03:18 PM
So they are still going for that angled deflection thing then.:(

Thanks for the pic. Not to my taste. I'll stick with the Warped Egg!

RoadDawg
03-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye
Stop arguing darn it and post some Pics or vids of it in action!

What does it look like?

Hopefully not like the Wedge shaped Richochet!

Yes it is the wedge shape but that is what they are known for. Plus I do get the occasional bounce or skip off the hopper unlike any other hopper I've owned. It doesn't look the best but the Smoke shells that I got look fantastic. I'll post pics when I get my film developed and find a place to host them. It's not the fastest hopper out there but w/o the aid of bounce it'll be tough to out shoot it.

RoadDawg
03-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by gibby
YEP! You almost did talk me into it!! If I hadn't ordered my new halo b(z code and rip drive) I probably would have bought it. But the fact that he ran out kept me from buying it too. But it fed pretty fast. Very impressive indeed...light weight, simple design, pretty good feed rate.
ej_y4 got a floor model for $10 cheaper then mine. :eek: Could of been your Gibby... could of been YOU! :D

paint magnet
03-07-2004, 04:14 PM
What exactly is a "floor" model?

RoadDawg
03-07-2004, 04:34 PM
What exactly is a "floor" model? The one they were using as a display and testing.

jtoothman25
03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
I actually was the person who ordered the very last floor model at www.ricochet2k.com 90 bucks shipped was better than 99 plus shipping at Paintballgear.

Naby
03-07-2004, 06:14 PM
How loud is the Apache? I find the 2k to be quite loud.

paint magnet
03-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by RoadDawg
The one they were using as a display and testing.

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up :)

jtoothman25
03-07-2004, 06:47 PM
My apache is quieter than a halo or evlution. The 2k and AK were rather loud. This one has a whole new motor, and its silent, minus the 30 second and 60 second alarm.

Of you who own the new Apache, mine has the same type of impeller as the AK and 2k, i thought they were changing this.

ej_y4
03-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by RoadDawg

ej_y4 got a floor model for $10 cheaper then mine. :eek: Could of been your Gibby... could of been YOU! :D
I couldnt pass it up, $50.:D and it was the last one they had and it was also smoke. i figured if i didnt like i could sell it and make $5-$10 on it. but looks like im going to keep it

jtoothman25
03-07-2004, 08:25 PM
http://www.automags.org/~BlackVCG/DCP_1713.JPG

I think it looks good.

RenagadeOfFunk
03-07-2004, 08:34 PM
yeah i know...I accidently his "x" instead of "z"....come on they r right next to each other...

well yes i think it gets apx. 23 bps....I use 9.6v batteries so.....it might not go as fast with normal 9v....

magman109
03-07-2004, 10:39 PM
how does the apache compare to an egg or halo hieght wise? It looks like it might be a little taller. Can somebody with both or all three post some pictures of each one on a gun? or measure the hieght of each loader?

jtoothman25
03-07-2004, 10:56 PM
I cut down the Neck on my egg, and its almost exactly the same height as my Apache on my gun, without the apache being cut down. The apache also fits a million times better in my gun.

The apache weighs 16 Oz, the Egg 20 Oz, and the Halo 24 Oz. Picking up the Apache and Halo its like night and day, while the egg vs the apache, you can easily tell, but its not as obvious.

I'll post pictures in a couple minutes.

RoadDawg
03-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Well it's lighter then a Halo thats for sure and I'll let ya know on the Egg II when I get that later this week.

jtoothman25
03-07-2004, 11:01 PM
http://www.automags.org/~BlackVCG/ebaypicture.JPG

Compare to above. They are entirely different pictures. The egg probably looks more stylish, but the Apacchhhhheeee looks more functional for sure.

Thats also before I cut down the neck a full balls diameter.

sneakyhacker420
03-07-2004, 11:16 PM
http://www.fragtek.com/sneaky/apache1.JPG
http://www.fragtek.com/sneaky/apache2.JPG
http://www.fragtek.com/sneaky/apache3.JPG
http://www.fragtek.com/sneaky/apache4.JPG

RoadDawg
03-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Sneaky did you change your pellar? Mine has four and yours has two. Just wondering if I'm special or not. :)

ej_y4
03-08-2004, 01:21 AM
mine also has 4 blades

jtoothman25
03-08-2004, 01:26 AM
4 blades, or weed whacker line covered in shrink tubing?

sneakyhacker420
03-08-2004, 01:34 AM
i don't know... i ordered it the second day after they came out... all i know is that it works damn well!

i'm probably going to pick up an evolution 2 impeller and JMJ vortex impeller to see if they help the feed rate at all in the Apache

what color are your guys shells? did anyone get a smoke one with the weed whacker line propellor? or only black ones?

PS: i outshot my Apache for the first time on friday - shot some SICK 23BPS strings over the chrono and on the field with the Z-RT (/me hugs custom on/off pin set)

it would shoot what was lined up in the feed neck and elbow and then hesitate (thanks LX :)) but it'd keep on feeding right after LX pinched the 10th or so ball

either way, its stayin here with me, probably mainly for my Z-RT and Micro-E, and my soon-to-come Reloader-B will be reserved for ma Rhythm :eek:

RoadDawg
03-08-2004, 01:38 AM
We both got smoke ones. Mine was NIB and his was the display the guy was using. He got his for $50 though and I got mine for $60 (Man I love the LA Open). They are the 4 weedwacker lines wrapped in a small tubing like stuff. I plan on having pics up probably next week. I don't usually shoot that fast so I doubt I'll out shoot it but I'll give it a try on my 4.0'ed Emag.

paint magnet
03-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Ricochet looks better and more functional IMO...

Jhootman25 - are you comparing them with batteries in them or empty?

SN420- I thought you traded the Green Xmag for the Ebladed cocker?

jtoothman25
03-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Faint Gagnet-
Who cares if the egg and apache have batteries or not, they use the same. The halo has heavier batteries. Those measurements are without batteries, or paint. Since the egg and apache hold about the same ammount of paint, thats about the same also. The halo holds about 40-60 less paintballs, so it'll get somewhat lighter, but not lighter than the Apache.

sneakyhacker420
03-09-2004, 05:06 PM
SN420- I thought you traded the Green Xmag for the Ebladed cocker? i did... thoes are pics from when i first got my apache... and the FF should be here tomorrow :D

fire1811
03-09-2004, 05:12 PM
those who have and have used them for a bit
any problems/concerns with them yet?

fire1811
03-09-2004, 05:25 PM
bah i just ordered one anyway i loved my rico2k so im sure this wont let me down

yaddatrance
03-09-2004, 05:38 PM
I ordered one, $80 shipped :P You guys got a steal at $60.

Re: The speed time on the Q.

That's through the tubing, but not through right
angle of the power feed. I just unplugged the power feed
unit and let it dump.

Actual on-gun time would be slower since the balls would
need to reaccelerate from rest from each shot. However...

Interesting fact! I had an old full auto stingray
(using a modified sear) which was made 5 years ago and
left in the closet since it was a guaranteed paint blender.
Using the Q attached directly (with electrical tape, no
tube) and a preset HPA, it fired the entire magazine with
no chops!!! I did put more prewind than I usually do...
I'm hoping to find a digital video camera to get a video...

Furby
03-10-2004, 05:02 PM
http://www.paintballchannel.com/browse.php?mod=article&opt=view&id=384&style=details

fire1811
03-11-2004, 01:36 PM
got my apache today and have to say its a really nice loader

they changed the paddles from what sneakys pics show

they are the thing yard trimmer sytle prongs

they make and X but one is high and one is low

feed pretty fast

sneakyhacker420
03-11-2004, 05:35 PM
heh

/me loves prototype propellor :p

if it matters at all, mine was from the batch of the first 15 they made... so yeah

if anyone has a revvy w/ vortex impellor or whatnot, stick that in the apache and LMK if it helps any

fire1811
03-12-2004, 04:21 PM
just ran a few test on my apache compared to zboard evo

the evo is faster just by under a second but what surprised me was that from the pictures you see here and just looking at it on my gun i though it was higher them my evo. its not
i cut my evo neck down to the VERY minimum and the apache is still 1/2 to 3/4 lower then the evo.

all in all i am really happy with the apache

fire1811
03-12-2004, 04:21 PM
oh yeah and the motor is WAY quieter then the 2k
i can actually hear the timer now :p

jtoothman25
03-12-2004, 04:57 PM
A Zboarded egg? I tested against one, and mine was almost exactly the same. I'll do more tests. It blew the Yboarded egg outta the water.

fire1811
03-12-2004, 05:00 PM
it was barley slower but maybe i have a fast one?

im going to put the yboard back in and see how it compares to the zboard

RoadDawg
03-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Well after it's first full "well somewhat full" day of use I must say that I'm happy/satisfied with the Apache. IT fit nice and snug into the Warp and gave me some problems on the vert setup. I think that was mainly due to the fact of the feedneck may have been to short and cause the LX to constantly stutter. Anyways. When it was adjusted it flew. I never outshot it with the 4.0 Emag. Then again I had DB at 10 and ROF at 20 and probably on reached 15 or 16 max bps. Pics will be up soon. Even got a deflection but also had 3 break on the hopper before I went warp. Overall it was worth the $60 price tag I paid for it at the LA Open and for the Rico fans this is a great option of faster feeding.

WARPED1
03-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Are they still claiming lots of bs? Like shot counter etc? I hated the first ones because the gated feed style thing never worked, never counted right, was loud(I guess they fixed that).

sneakyhacker420
03-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Branden Minimag
It feeds up to 18 bps and has no shot counter. The counter was removed because it's a waste of battery power. All I can say is that the Apache smokes. It keeps up with my 9v Warp Feed; no gaps. Better than an Evolution II. thats because of the way its designed to sense when to agitate - the little flap tells the motor to spin each time a ball passes by, while an evo2 and the like will wait until there is a gap in the ballstack before it starts spinning

barrel break
03-15-2004, 12:29 PM
You know, I have a love/hate relationship with my Ricochet AK..... It's loud, tall. but it also is smaller than a revvy, and has a feed sensor....

I think i may actually pick up a qloader this summer... (for the profile, i dont shoot very fast, mech cocker :) )

RoadDawg
03-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by barrel break
You know, I have a love/hate relationship with my Ricochet AK..... It's loud, tall. but it also is smaller than a revvy, and has a feed sensor....

I think i may actually pick up a qloader this summer... (for the profile, i dont shoot very fast, mech cocker :) )
The apache is 50% quieter (my guess as I own a 2k) then the 2k. The did something with the motor to make it quieter. As for the height, it's shorter then a Egg II, and shorter then a Halo TSA. I personally like the way Rico did their sensor. Just picks up every ball and agitates. Another thing I forgot to mention about he apache is that if your batteries die in game it can still feed in normal joe blow gravity mode. In other words the props don't block the feed hole.