PDA

View Full Version : equipment through airports

durtysoufcraka
03-06-2004, 11:36 PM
i recently took my mag through the airport and my nitro tank. they searched my bag after doing their x-raying and they found the gun and the tank. they had no problem w/the gun aparently but they did take my tank and i dont know how to get it back or anything. has anyone else had any experience with taking equipment through an airport. and/or having their stuff taken and getting it back. they had my new drop on the tank too...i want it back. :mad: :( :mad:
-durty

Digits
03-06-2004, 11:40 PM
You should pulled out your mac-10 and took it back

yeahthatsme
03-06-2004, 11:42 PM
call the airport and ask...

Load SM5
03-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Call the airport and see if they have it. I've flown with my gear a number of times with no problems. Never walk off and leave your bag at the X-ray. They always want to look inside when they run it through, and if you are'nt there to answer questions then they may do something like what happened to you. Always, always make sure your tank is empty and you can prove it. Leave an ASA screwed onto a preset to keep the valve open or leave the on/off open on tanks that have them. You can also remove the burst disks. I also have a very friendly looking APG magazine that I leave on top of my gear so they see it as soon as they open the bag.

ghed
03-07-2004, 02:13 AM
I have a feeling your not going to get it back...especially if you didnt get some kind of receit for it. My aunt had a pocket knife in her carry on and she never saw it again. Consider yourself lucky you managed to keep your marker considering the increased secruity and everything. :(

Next time you would probably want to get to the airport extra early, notify them about your paintball gear, and like Load said make sure your tank is empty and bring an ASA to prove it. Also bring a strong case for it b/c I bet they will make you to put it in cargo.

Load SM5
03-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Well you'll always have to check it. No way you can carry it on. I do keep my marker in a strong case inside my larger wheeled bag.

They also have zip ties at security that they'll stick on you luggage to mark it as clear to keep anyone else along the line from messing with it.

lopxtc
03-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Yeah I just flew to Montreal last Monday with my gear without a problem. United Airlines, in case you are wondering.

They are correct, stand there and wait till they scan it to make sure you can be there to explain anything.

One thing I like to do before I travel is to call the airline and tell them what you are travelling with, they will tell you that you need to make sure there is no pressure in the tanks and have some way to prove it. Most of the times they will be happy to provide a way for the ticket counter person to contact them to verify that the gear is good to go also.

Aaron

Tunaman
03-07-2004, 10:42 AM
We tried to bring a flatline on the plane last night. We told them beforehand it was there. There was no way in hell they would allow it on the plane. The airline was ATA. Some airlines WILL allow tanks but almost all will not. We had to leave the tank at customs and have someone pick it up. Markers are allowed.

lopxtc
03-07-2004, 10:47 AM
According to the manager of the section that handles baggage with UA, there is no problem as long as you can prove there is no air in the tank and that the valve is open.

I have travelled now four times with my gear on UA without a problem. twice to and from Canada.

Aaron

Originally posted by Tunaman
We tried to bring a flatline on the plane last night. We told them beforehand it was there. There was no way in hell they would allow it on the plane. The airline was ATA. Some airlines WILL allow tanks but almost all will not. We had to leave the tank at customs and have someone pick it up. Markers are allowed.

Tunaman
03-07-2004, 10:51 AM
It certainly depends on the airline. With ATA, they would not allow it, hold it for us, ship it to us, nothing. We almost had to toss it as that was our only option. Check with the airline before bringing it along.

Butterfingers
03-07-2004, 01:18 PM
I "snuck" not one but 2 through security yesterday... YaY! Spring Break...

Technically...

Compressed air tanks of ANY kind are strictly PROHIBITED by the TSA.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/tsa_ppitems.pdf

At the bottom...

Apparently what I was doing was illegal...

fire1811
03-07-2004, 01:33 PM
most will let empty ones on that are checked

ATA will not under any circumstances let them on it's says that one there website and there is a big thread about it on pbnation.com

chiefal
03-07-2004, 03:43 PM
hey what about the gauges on the tanks. if they read 0 psi will thay accept that as being empty?

Load SM5
03-07-2004, 04:31 PM
I would'nt count on it. I suppose if you could depress the pin in front of them and no air escapes that'd work. If it has an on/off then leave it on.