PDA

View Full Version : any applemac users out there

swanster
03-07-2004, 08:30 AM
hi guys

do any of you know any good 1st person shooter games out there also will command and conquer generals zero hour work onmy computer

btw. i have a

power mac G5 dual 2ghz
radeon 9800 pro
1gb RAM
dual 250gb hard drives

sharpshooter1286
03-07-2004, 10:33 AM
just get an emulator, u'll be able to play ne games u want

swanster
03-07-2004, 12:01 PM
yeah but i heard that it will slow the computor down loads ( like 60% slower )

sharpshooter1286
03-07-2004, 12:19 PM
well im pretty sure they make mac editions of most big name titles...but if u really wanna play a game, then just get the emulator, that wont slow the game down just d/ls ( i think)

bofh
03-07-2004, 10:47 PM
UT 2003 would be a good FPS off the top of my head. There are a couple others. Halo, Medal of Honor, Rainbow 6.

No idea about C&C, I didn't like the first one, so I never got into the series. There some kind of C&C coming out shortly, however.

swanster
03-08-2004, 11:31 AM
i'm gonna get a mate to build a gaming pc then network it with my mac. use one for design, music creation etc... and the other just for gaming

Banshee23
03-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by swanster
i'm gonna get a mate to build a gaming pc then network it with my mac. use one for design, music creation etc... and the other just for gaming

As most games released still don't come for Macs that's probably the best way to do things. Even when games do come out for the Mac it's usually weeks to months after the PC version is out.

xmetal2001
03-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Unreal Tournament 2004 will be on mac, the demo is great, much better than 2003.

Rooster
03-08-2004, 03:18 PM
"do any of you know any good 1st person shooter games out there also will command and conquer generals zero hour work onmy computer

btw. i have a

power mac G5 dual 2ghz
radeon 9800 pro
1gb RAM
dual 250gb hard drives"

This reminds me of the "Mac Gamer" internet commercial that was out about a year ago. Funny as hell.

swanster
03-10-2004, 03:49 PM
ok guys

i need to know what i will need to network my mac ( OSX ) and a pc together. they must share printer, internet, ( broadband ) speakers and moniter ( apple 17inch )

cheers guys

Bluestrike_2
03-13-2004, 12:23 PM
you can use an Apple AirPort Extreme which can connect to any wireless computer network card ("B" or "G") More info on http://www.apple.com

swanster
03-13-2004, 03:52 PM
i already got airport but is there anything else i will need

f3rr3+
03-14-2004, 02:14 AM
wireless router and the nessacary hook ups for the other computer

(im really tired and ive probably made some horrible mistake so take what i said with a grane of salt)

Bluestrike_2
03-14-2004, 09:57 AM
go and by a Linksys Wireless Card for the Windows PC. Or D-Link, or Micro$oft. Any Will do, just make sure it is high quality.

Then, on the Windows machine, go and set it up onto the Mac network. Someone smarter at this than me can now take over :)

Linx
03-14-2004, 01:33 PM
As far as FPS shooters - I'd suggest Halo and Unreal Tournament.

As far as networking the two computers - If you already have an Airport Base station then you don't need a wireless router. Are you connecting them in the same room? (Sounds like it if you want to share monitors.) If you have an Apple 17" LCD you will not be able to share the monitor with out an ADC to DVI converter ($100). As far as sharing a printer - is it USB or Ethernet?

I am an Apple Technician so this is not guessing on what will work. I can help you but I need more info.

Hope you are enjoying your G5!

swanster
03-14-2004, 02:24 PM
the printer is usb ( 2.0 )
i dont have the airport base station but i will buy one
the broadband internet is connected through airport
the speakers ( harmon kardon ) are connected through usb
the computers will be no more than 6ft from each other

i have usb, ethernet and firewire ports free

please list everything i will need to network the two computers sharing speakers, monitor, printer and internet

cheers guys

Linx
03-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Is this a high end USB printer or a low cost ink jet?

How can your broadband be connected through Airport if you don't have a basestation? Do you have a wireless router?

To "share", not network, the printer, monitor, and speakers you will need a KVM Switch. Depending on the monitor (Apple LCD) you may need more. The sitch basicly lets you plug in you monitor and USB devices. Then you can switch between the computer you are using by pressing the button on the switch of the computer you want to use. This how ever is not really a network.

If you want to network your computers your best bet would be to get a monitor for your PC, a router/or Airport Basestation, and either an Ethernet to USB print server, or an Ethernet capable printer. (If you are going to network a printer with the computers you will want a 4 port router instead of an Airport base station.)

Jesse

LudavicoSoldier
03-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by swanster
ok guys

i need to know what i will need to network my mac ( OSX ) and a pc together. they must share printer, internet, ( broadband ) speakers and moniter ( apple 17inch )

cheers guys

Well, I would suggest sharing the printer out from the Mac (its very easy and reliable in OSX (Panther)). You need a DSL/Cable router to share the network connection. I would suggest the Belkin SOHO series KVMs (I have a 2 port one). They connect each computer via USB, and depending on the model, have either PS2 or USB connections for the KB/mouse. They also have audio switching which is quite handy. This is all assuming that you are using a VGA monitor, as DVI/ADC KVMs are prohibitavely expensive. PM me if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help.

<edit> I see that you have USB audio speakers. That will be a problem when it comes to the KVM. No KVM (to my knowledge) supports USB audio switching. Do your HK speakers have a 1/8 or RCA connection that you could adapt to 1/8?

Linx
03-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Mac USB printer sharing will not work for sharing with a PC.

As I said before the KVM switches are not really a network. If you need to transfer data from one computer to the other you will not be able to with the setup.