PDA

View Full Version : Why do ppl fold up the chins on their Flex-7s?

ghed
03-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Several players at my local field do this and I never understood why. It seems like a good way to get nailed in the chin. I know some refs do this to make it easier to blow their whistles but have no clue as to why a player would.

Cryer
03-07-2004, 10:44 PM
they like the taste of paint.

Actually, I think its supposed to help with communication. Either that or it has something to do with mating rituals.:confused:

tony3
03-07-2004, 10:45 PM
1. You look like a bad arse
2. Easy to communicate

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
03-07-2004, 10:52 PM
because they think its "cool" you should try it sometime... start a fad at your field :D

Torbo
03-07-2004, 10:58 PM
i do it when i ref

yes, it does lok badass
and...it does make it easier to shout at kids, and keep it from getting so much condensation on it.

Banshee23
03-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Ventilation.... Even with all the holes it gets damn hot under there

magking1971
03-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Because they seen a "pro" do it so it must be cool right?

Polish
03-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Because they are dumb and like getting shot in the chin. And they look like a retarted duck with it flipped up...guess thats cool..

MrWallen
03-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Easier for people to hear you, a LOT easier to breath, looks cool (:rolleyes: ).

PS: Also may make you shoot straighter, longer, more shots out of same amount of air, make you play like a pro, and make your opponents cry like little girls...unless they fold thier masks up too, then watch out!!!

LeatherPants
03-08-2004, 01:20 AM
I play back and usually have my chin folded up the first half of the game. It really helps my fronts hear me. BUT you damn well bet I fold that B*tch down as the game progresses.

Basically at full count there are so many people shouting and markers firing I need my mask folded up so I'm heard clearly.

Crashtestdave
03-08-2004, 06:54 AM
At the site i work at most of the marshalls do it so they can have a smoke during the game, its a great way to make the punters jealous!!!!

And it helps with ventilation, but i always play with mine folded down, and only fold mine up when marshalling in extreme heat (which is about 22 degrees to me, i'm from Northern Ireland, summer only happens one day a year there)

Branchvillian
03-08-2004, 08:26 AM
I was considering picking up a flex for when I ref. I don't like to take off my goggles between games ussually because then I can never seem to get them comfortable again. It does get aggravating when you feel smothered after 5 games in your mask, and it would be nice to fold that up and breath freely.

Thordic
03-08-2004, 09:07 AM
I started doing it in the summer because it makes it a lot easier to breathe in a Flex7 with the chin part folded up.

After wearing it up on a couple hot days, the rubber kinda sticks that way, so then you are committed :)

-=Squid=-
03-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Crashtestdave
At the site i work at most of the marshalls do it so they can have a smoke during the game, its a great way to make the punters jealous!!!!

And it helps with ventilation, but i always play with mine folded down, and only fold mine up when marshalling in extreme heat (which is about 22 degrees to me, i'm from Northern Ireland, summer only happens one day a year there) At practice a guy has a hole cut in his flex so he can smoke while he refs/plays :rolleyes: :p

Dryden
03-08-2004, 11:29 AM
I fold mine up sometimes too on the Flex-7 I use for reffing.

The Flex-7 face guard is very long, like the Crossfire mask, so folding it up makes it [1] much easier to breathe and [2] lowers the profile so you're less inclined to knock the mask off your own head if you tuck your chin in tight to your body (like when looking down).

Wc Keep
03-08-2004, 11:57 AM
another reason why you fold up the chin is because if you are going to take a shot to the mouth area it provides more flex to that area so it increases the odds of the ball bouncing off.

rehme
03-08-2004, 01:21 PM
i do it because mine is warped and it looks better this way instead of looking crappy