PDA

View Full Version : Any mountain bikers in here?

Automaggin2
03-07-2004, 10:43 PM
I need help choosing a bike. I've decided I'm not gonna spend more then a grand, soooooo I'm lookin at a KHS 504, Haro Xtreme X2, Jamas Dakar Sport, ok Marin East Peak XT. I'm leaning more towards the Dakar, i rode it and it feels nice but I'm not to sure. I'm gonna be doing alot of hard trail riding this summer, so I need something that will last.

SatansGun
03-07-2004, 10:49 PM
what do you want the bike for??

-=Squid=-
03-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by SatansGun
what do you want the bike for?? If you would read his post, you would see that he said "trail riding." ;)

Gitaroo Man
03-08-2004, 12:54 AM
ummm well Squid..there are TONS of different kinds of trail riding. If you can be more specific I can help you out.

Butterfingers
03-08-2004, 03:42 AM
www.mtbr.com

lots of good info...

as far as bikes go. Get one with at least Shimano LX components and fits you well and comfortably.

Disc Brakes are the Shiznit too....

PRPB
03-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Hey Automaggin2 do you have any links for these bikes. I'm starting to get more into trail riding and I need a new bike. Right now I have this dual suspension Mongoose from that I got from walmart. :rolleyes: :D Anyway the bike severed it's purpose but it can't handle the punishment I put it through.

Mongoose is pretty much the only bikes I know about. I was lookin at this one, but I not sure on the price.

http://www.mongoose.com/sa/uploads/images/bikes/59.43.M4-Wingelite-BlaYel.jpg

Automaggin2
03-08-2004, 11:14 AM
PRPB,
www.jensonusa.com
www.adrenalinebikes.com
www.mtbreview.com

I'm planning on doing alot of downhill trail riding, I'm gonna hit up the Diablo Freeride park in Vernon, New JErsey. Its one of the best parks in the east.

Dubstar112
03-08-2004, 11:40 AM
I have a Big Hit. Good for DH riding, and other riding. Id go for the Haro. Its being powdercoated now, and I have a fresh Jr. T to put on it.

-=Squid=-
03-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Gitaroo Man
ummm well Squid..there are TONS of different kinds of trail riding. If you can be more specific I can help you out. Hard trail riding? :)

Automaggin2
03-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Hard trail riding? :)

NAA Hard Trail riding is way to easy!

Brak
03-08-2004, 04:30 PM
i have a Planet-X NewJackFlash, mainly a tech urban/north shore type bike, with a DJ3 on it, and some wheels that are so out of true that the front hits my crown and the rear hits my front deraileur. im goin to put together a video soon (hopping onto picnic tables = badass)

if i were you id get the Jamis, i think its all around the best, but it wont be long before youll want a demo9 and start doing the good kind of trail biking. the kind when you dont pedal!

Automaggin2
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
I went to local store today, fell in LOVE with the Cannondale Jeckyll 800. So freakin nice, its got that left fork on it that limits fork bend. On sale for 1300, kinda pricey, might sell my gun. My friend is trying to get a dealer account through cannondale and a few other mfgs, so hopefully I can get it on the cheap

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/images/large/4VN8BWP.jpg

Gitaroo Man
03-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I basically have that exact same bike except I have the 700sx upgraded with Rhino light rims and new tires and Hayes Discs..I basically replaced them entire chain set and so on since they kept braking on me.

If you want that bike make sure you'll be doing XC and not a lot of technical downhill since it kinda sucks for that. The rear and front shock tend to be very bouncy when you get on the rocky technical stuff and can throw you off.

PRPB: I'd recommend looking into Rockey Mountain Bikes or Specialized...I personally think those are the two best. I'm saving up for a Specialized BigHit or a Rockey Mountain Switch and/or Flow.

dyst0pia
03-08-2004, 11:12 PM
I personally ride a GF Sugar 2+. Beautiful bike.

I would recommend the new Gary Fisher Cake. However, I would also recommend the Jekyll, although the suspension is a little too saggy/soft for me. To me, it felt like I had a flat tire everytime I was turning.

However, if you are really looking for a sort of hardcore trail riding bike, I would recommend one of the Specialized P. series. They seem to be a good bike for a good price.

Another suggestion would possibly be a cove of some sort? Perhaps a g-spot or a handjob?

Last question. Would you be able to assemble the bike if you purchased it all in pieces? IE, a frame here, a fork there, etc.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just realized you said you had a grand to work with. Let me crunch some numbers and see what I can come up with.

Automaggin2
03-08-2004, 11:35 PM
I could definatly put it together. I have put together many BMX bikes (used to race them and do alot of street riding). I have worked on mtb bikes before.

I am light, 160 pounds, 6 feet tall, so I think the suspension on the Cannondale will be that badfor me, the shock goes up to like 300 pounds. I like the independent locking system, where you can lock the shocks from the handle bars for uphill.

Gitaroo Man
03-09-2004, 12:27 AM
What kind of trails do you plan on doing? XC? DH?

Automaggin2
03-09-2004, 07:45 AM
Little bit of both.

Brak
03-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Automaggin2
Little bit of both.

honestly, if i were you and id be doing that id look for a kona coiler or banshee chaparall. now i know youve got a BMX so street riding is out of the question. building up a banshee chaparall with a fox forx would be very very nice for some hard trail riding, up and down

Gitaroo Man
03-09-2004, 07:30 PM
If you're going to be doing some DH the Jekyll sucks for it....bounces me off everytime I try to do it either that or it is just an uncomfortable ride.

dyst0pia
03-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Gitaroo, do you have one with a lefty?

Automaggin2
03-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Some of these bikes you guys are showing are way out of my price range.

I want to stay around 1000, 1300 at the most.

Gitaroo Man
03-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Yeah...I got a lefty.

This is what I have:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_full/product_73786.shtml

Except I put Hayes Hydrolic disc brakes on it, 2 Rhino Light rims, one WTB Motoraptor, one WTB Weirwolf, all Shimano XTR crank set stuff...and I think thats it.

Automaggin2
03-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Branden Minimag
CANNONDALE should be your only choice. I own this bike, it's handmade in USA like all other C-Dales:

http://mtbreview.com/reviews/Bike_full/Cannondale_2000_Super_V_Raven_4000SX.jpg

How much did that cost?

Automaggin2
03-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Well, If i do mostly freeride/xc I will stick with the Cannondale.

Buut for a urban/tech bike and some DH, is the KHS DS2000 witch docotr any good? MY only concern is the frame looks kinda short

SIGSays
03-10-2004, 03:42 PM
motiv ;)

i got one... paid $350 ish.. a few years ago.. awsome bike.. nice ride.. def a head turner..

Gitaroo Man
03-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Basically all Cannondales are over $1000