PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Travel with Paintball Markers

joshweinerhead
03-08-2004, 09:50 PM
can you fly on an airplane with your marker? and what about your tank?

Jonesie
03-08-2004, 10:12 PM
You'll have to check the luggage in which they are stored. Obviously you will not be able to carry them on.

This weekend I had ZERO problems, at LAX they even searched my bag, without a problem. I just pulled the reg off my tank and stashed it in a balled-up pair of socks for protection. Then the bottle was wrapped in a couple tank covers for protection.

No problems.

Good Luck ~ Dave

joshweinerhead
03-08-2004, 10:44 PM
thanks

SirTim
03-09-2004, 12:38 AM
don't even consider it as a carry on, otherwise, you will ground the whole flight... :D :D :D

Dayspring
03-09-2004, 01:00 AM
And don't fly ATA. They won't allow bottles of ANY sort on the plane.

I've flown Continental several times with equipment, and no issue. Oddly, they were more concerned with the battery charger than the oddly metallic gun-shaped item in the bag.

Go figure. ;)

Scircal
03-09-2004, 01:01 AM
They are listed on the TSA site as an cleared item, at least if they are in checked luggage, or at least that's what my brother said. He brought his Mag and a bunch of other stuff home from college to play in a scenario game this weekend, no hassle at the airport. Even said the bag made a loud "clang" when he set it down and they didn't even ask (And exactly how many billions in taxpayer dollars are being spent to make sure airports are secure?). He did not bring his HP tank since I had an extra.

Pressurized canisters are a no-no, tho. However, I think you can still take your HPA or CO2 bottle as long as it's depressurized. Thankfully, paintball guns haven't been declared a weapon of terror, even though pocket knives and fingernail clippers have... :rolleyes:

edweird
03-09-2004, 01:10 AM
I dont bother unscrewing the regs on my tanks...

I own 2 flatline tanks and all I do is empty them and secure the on off in an open position with something. Then I attach a typed paper siteing the DOT reg # and stateing the fact it is secured open, empty and safe for air travel.

It prolly helps that I am a SSgt in the USAF and sign it as so as well.

InexactMelissa
03-09-2004, 06:55 AM
I would consider not bringing your tank with you. While some people report not having any problem with it, several others have. According to the official list of TSA permitted and prohibited items http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_12_18_2003.pdf compressed air guns are allowed in checked baggage only, and compressed gas cylinders are NOT allowed in checked OR carry-on bags.

DragonMan
03-09-2004, 09:50 AM
I agree with InexactMelissa. Try not to fly with the tank. If you can do it, ship your air tank to your destination prior to flying. The TSA drones' ideas of what is permissible varies greatly from published rules. They even argue amongst themselves. Even removing the reg from the tank is sometimes not good enough.
For your marker, break it down as much as possible and secure it in a sturdy case in your checked luggage. NEVER put in in a carry-on bag.

Creative Mayhem
03-09-2004, 10:29 AM
I trvel with my SCUBA gear and you ARE aloowed to bring tanks as long as you take the valves out.

HPA tanks are no different.

DragonMan
03-09-2004, 10:55 AM
I agree with you. Valves out is perfectly legal. However the screeners sometimes thing differently.

My biggest beef with the TSA is the inconsistancy that they have from airport to airport and screener to screener.:mad:

DragonMan
PS Bottom time is good!

InexactMelissa
03-09-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but according to the TSA and FAA websites, you are not supposed to be allowed to travel with SCUBA tanks (regulators and other stuff is OK)...in fact it expressly states that SCUBA tanks are not allowed. That's not to say that everyone in every airport follows or even knows these rules.

For me, I would rather ship my tank ahead than even risk losing $300 bucks having it confiscated.

:)

from the TSA (TSA Special Items (http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml) ):
Travelers & Consumers Printable Version
Transporting Special Items

Transporting Scuba Equipment

Some scuba gear can be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage.
Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage.
Knives and tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage.

Bolter
03-09-2004, 11:12 AM
some little tricks for you. Take everything off that you can to make it less gun shaped (i.e barrel battery ) then empty your bottle of air.

Always take a paintball magazine and your playing top in the same bag used to store said gun, so that if they ask "hey whats that thing" you can say its for a paintball tournie and heres the proof.

Explain the bottle is empty, and if you are in any doubt, ring the airports before you go.

Scircal
03-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Well, you could interpret the rules to mean filled compressed air cylinders and such, since they describe the problems as associated with "changes in pressure" and lump them with fire extinguishers and others items that are supposed to carry a hazardous chemical. Obviously, an empty paintball tank isn't going to have pressure problems, especially not one with the regulator off.

Then again, there is some ambiguity, which means it will come down to the official who last sees the bag. So maybe you shouldn't bring your tank unless you have someone there you can give it to if there are any problems.

Well, throwers don't worry about ticking because modern bombs don't tick...

Jonesie
03-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Scircal
Well, throwers don't worry about ticking because modern bombs don't tick...

Based on that, IF I were going to make a bomb, I'd make it tick! :p Just little fact-oid from the warped side of Jonesie.

/me goes to answer the FBI's knock at my door...

deathstalker
03-09-2004, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't want to fly with my gear simply because I don't trust anyone screwing with my gear without me present. When I flew to play, I shipped it ahead of time to a business owned by my friend's father.

Makes me think that maybe we should form a network of AO'ers who can be trusted to receive and ship back your gear. I'd be more than happy to help out during the Chicago tournaments, big games, and scenarios (Shatnerball!).

thejesus
10-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Here's a question: How do the pro's travel with their tanks? Do they all ship them to the hotel they are staying in, or do they go by the "unscrew the reg, look inside the tank, there's nothing in there method." The only thing is, in most preset tanks it's not easy to take the reg off...

rich4man
10-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Here is a word to the wise. If you own a PMI Pure Energy Tank you should definetly ship it instead of trying to bring it with you. The radioactive looking symbol will attract some attention. I'm planning on flying to Austin for Thanksgiving and I will be shipping my tank to my sisters house. The mag I will be taking with me.

Coray
10-20-2004, 02:42 PM
My freind travled with his mag... he just had to drain the co2 tank

Evil Preacher
10-20-2004, 03:00 PM
I fly 5-6 times a year with paintball gear for scenario games around the country. The only time there is concern was with my HPA tank. Now I remove the fill nipple from the tank before leaving for the airport. I explain to the inspector that it is open to the air and that by the airlines rules is allowed.

Now I have been lucky to have an inspector that has played paintball and knows what it is, and I have had the same inspector over a few times.

ATA airlines is the only one I know that has problems with air tanks. I have heard they wont even allow tanks that don't have regs in them and are open to the air.

If in doubt and you have someone you trust to ship to, go a head and do it. But in 4 years of flying with gear, I haven't had a problem.

Heck one time I was able to fly with 4 cases of paint bundled up into 2 pieces of luggage.

Hasty8
10-20-2004, 04:01 PM
According to the TSA prohibited items list

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_8_23_2004.pdf

"compressed air guns" can be transported in checked baggage and not in carry on. Compressed air canisters cannot be taken on at all. OF course, if you take your reg off and show that there is a huge gaping hole in the bottle it should not be a problem.

What is intersting to note is the list of Sharp Objects:
Box Cutters
Ice Axes/Ice Picks
Knives (any length and type except round-bladed, butter, and plastic cutlery)
Meat Cleavers
Razor-Type Blades, such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors
Sabers
Scissors – metal with pointed tips
Scissors with plastic or metal blunt tips are permitted in your carry-on.
Swords

You know they are only there becuase at one time or another someone actually tried to carry these items on board.

Hexis
10-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Then again on the TSA site there is this:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on or checked baggage ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

The safest way is to call ahead.

Empyreal Rogue
10-20-2004, 04:26 PM
What about keeping the on/off on (releasing all air pressure) and removing the fill nipple? I see that Ed has had that work but what about for us average Joe's? On my Flatline, will I have to remove the entire regulator? I'm kind of confused. >_<

Hexis
10-20-2004, 04:32 PM
The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Seams pretty clear to me. Take the entire regulator off to assure they can see inside the tank and make sure there are no nasties in there. It's not just a pressure thing.

davidnj
10-20-2004, 04:33 PM
I fly often and do both scuba and paintball. I tend to avoid the issue with the tank and ship it ahead if Im going out to a friends or rent if Im going someplace where it might be difficult to ship. There is enough potential stress with all the airport security w\o having to worry about all the TSA compressed gas tank rules and regs. So yeah...just avoid it if possible and rent or pre-ship it.

thejesus
10-20-2004, 04:36 PM
I doubt that removing the fill nipple would work in the scenario where you had an ultra-paranoid TSA Agent. Sure, you could see into the top neck of the tank, but you could still have some C4 stuffed in the bottom for all they know...

Basically, if you can unscrew the tank, you're fine. Otherwise, mail it. BTW, if you're reading this homeland security, i don't intend to detonate a plane with my dye throttle. She's my stubby baby!

Empyreal Rogue
10-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Seams pretty clear to me. Take the entire regulator off to assure they can see inside the tank and make sure there are no nasties in there. It's not just a pressure thing.

Well I understood that but there are a lot of contradictory statements in this thread. I see what TSA says, but what TSA says isn't always what Airport Security does.

Creative Mayhem
10-20-2004, 05:13 PM
The thing with the TSA is they state "NO COMPRESSED AIR CYLINDERS" Doesn't matter if it is SCUBA tanks or Paintball tanks, if it is empty, how can it be compressed? Not to mention, if the tank has no valve/reg it cannot hold air, hence no pressure differential to worry about.

KTHNX BYE

rpm07
10-20-2004, 06:18 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156022

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
10-20-2004, 06:30 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156022

beat me to it
:(

jesseyo13
10-20-2004, 09:23 PM
I took my a4 and air tank from missouri to ecuador and had no problems. I took everything off the gun that I could. I took the mini reg, feed neck, trigger frame(carried the board in my carry on) and the barrel. I spread them out over all my cases too. I took the valve out of the tank. Didnt have any problems at all. :dance: