PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing Halo Shell

gdog441
03-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey, I have a clear halo shell, and its illegal in a league to use clear cause its hard to see a hit on it. Anyways, can somebody just explain to me exactly how I would dye it. Obviously take all the internals of the hopper out, but what kind of dye? Do I heat it up? I've never done this before but I have seen kids who said they have dyed their hoppers.

LeatherPants
03-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Got to the local drug store or arts and craft store. Buy RIT dye. Follow instructions simple as that. If you can boil water and stir you can do this.

BUT one thing is that you'll have to repeat it a couple times. Halo shells don't take color as easy as Evo II shells. You just have to be patient.

swanster
03-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Just throw a hopper cover on it.

yeah but if he plays tournys then it is illegal

-=Squid=-
03-09-2004, 04:30 PM
I thought an odyssey rep said that you cant rit dye halo shells? If you can I need to make a call to a teammate... :eek:

crewbe
03-09-2004, 04:43 PM
i saw this a few month ago on impulseownersgroup.com it is a in depth directions on how to do it http://www.impulseownersgroup.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13838&highlight=RIT+coloring+egg
they are not my dirctions they come from someone named wicked impulse off of IOG. i have not tired so ur on your own

Ok, i said i would do make this for people that maybe don't want to settle with clear or black eggolutions. Here you guys go:

First off, this method will give a kind of transparent colored finish that resembles the colored halos, so if you don't like that, don't do this.

Step One: Go to the store and get your desired color of dye. I would recommend RIT laundry dye. i have used it on many lacrosse heads and it works great for this too.

Step Two: Take apart your CLEAR evolution and only worry about the shells with the dying.

Step Three: Fill a large pot with water and boil it. Add the dye to the pot and stir it up real good so all the powder is dissolved. I wouldn't recomend using wood spoons to stir unless you want your spoon to match your hopper.

Step Four: Once the water is boiling let it sit for a short time until it is no longer bubbling. At this point, put your evo shells into the water and allow them to sit in there until they are a little bit darker than the color you want to achieve. Try not to let the shell touch the sides so they don't melt on the hot metal.

Step Five: Remove the shells from the water and wash them in COLD water until the water is running clear off the shells. If after this it is too light, you can put it back in the dye.

Step Six: Put your egg back together and marvel at the magnificent colored egg that you and you alone possess

Havoc_online
03-09-2004, 04:51 PM
You cant Dye HALO shells, the dye wont hold. The HALO boys say that all you can basically do is paint the inside of the shells.

gdog441
03-09-2004, 09:25 PM
You cant Dye HALO shells, the dye wont hold. The HALO boys say that all you can basically do is paint the inside of the shells. Havoc, I have seen people with dyed halo shells, that they dyed themselves, not bought that way.

yeahthatsme
03-09-2004, 09:36 PM
i'd suggest air brushing the inside of it, that'd be easier and removable after the tournament...

Methylphenidate
03-09-2004, 09:47 PM
what feild doesnt allow clear hopper shells

-=Squid=-
03-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Methylphenidate
what feild doesnt allow clear hopper shells A field with rediculously lazy refs?

gdog441
03-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Actually its the NEPL New England Paintball league. It beats me why clear hoppers are illegal, are they in the NPPL?

plmcmahon
03-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Would vinyl dye work? I know it works on the plastic parts in things like keyboards and mice.

Here's one guy who's used it for PC mods:

http://linear1.org/mods/vdye.php

03-10-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by gdog441
Actually its the NEPL New England Paintball league. It beats me why clear hoppers are illegal, are they in the NPPL?

Clear hoppers also illegal in NPPL... new rule.

gdog441
03-10-2004, 07:16 AM
But the question still remains, is leather pants right that they don't take dye too easily and you just have to repeat it a couple times? Or do they not take dye at all?

Burb
04-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Im dying mine as I type (two things at once !) Its definatly changing the colour, but I have a feeling it will need two dips.

Will post pics when finished.

~WarpedRT#2~
04-19-2004, 01:39 PM
I recently dyed my egg. It came out pretty good, black/red. I'm sure you can dye a HALO shell, it would just take longer. There wouldnt be any hurt in trying, so go ahead. Just keep an eye on it, and stir it constantly.

JimmyBeam
04-19-2004, 01:43 PM
could you post a pic of your red/black egg??? i wanna do mine those colors and i would like to see how it turned out

angelbeast24
04-19-2004, 02:04 PM
there was a thread on here a while back that some guy dyed his halo a red/black fade and it came out really nice soo if u search u might find it

magmonkey
04-19-2004, 03:10 PM
http://www.flagpull.com/destructive2k4/redwhiteblue%20002.jpg

i need to find a way to keep the fades straight but they will dye

Dayspring
04-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Datapimp did his HALO shells about a month ago. He used 3 bottles of dye per color.

Run a search for his thread.

You cant Dye HALO shells, the dye wont hold. The HALO boys say that all you can basically do is paint the inside of the shells.

Chris42050
04-19-2004, 06:15 PM
If I could figure out how to post the link I would. Datapimp69 did it on 3/25/04 exactly like you want to. Run a search with the words "clear hopper" and it will be right near the top of the list.

FallNAngel
04-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Here ya go: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131036

(just type the URL and it'll automagically make it a link)

TeamNausea
04-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Monkey that is sweet!!!!

angelbeast24
04-20-2004, 02:24 PM
i figured id post the pics of datas nice job of dyiing his halo shells...man they look sexy!

FalconGuy016
04-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Are you kidding me? You cant have clear hoppers?

tony3
04-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Yes, in the Nppl and Nepl you can't, another reason I dont like Nppl.