PDA

View Full Version : anyone know what this part is?

kdawg
03-11-2004, 11:34 AM
I am trying to figure out what this part is. I got it in a trade and the guy thought is was a fill adaptor for scuba but looks nothing like anything I've ever seen.

Markings on each side of the hex area:
EMA3
1/8 npte
a symbol that looks like a football field goal posts with a cotterpin looking thin accross the crossbar?

anyone have a clue?

http://www.geocities.com/kdawgpound77/

Dayspring
03-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Pic's not working.

warpfeedmod
03-11-2004, 11:44 AM
here I hosted it for him, geocities sux

http://www.whatisthebinty.com/images/DLImages/pic-group.jpg

It looks like some sort of old-school fill nipple with attached cover? But not sure why it's threaded on what looks to be the fill-side?

kdawg
03-11-2004, 11:47 AM
thanks for hosting......yeah, can't figure out what it might be

LudavicoSoldier
03-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Awwww yeah! I used to have one of those! Those were the fill nipples on the early PMS SS4500 series bottles. I had a 68ci "hotdog" bottle. Had to use a supplied adaptor to fill them. Oldskool!

StygShore
03-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Yeah, that is a fill nipple off a Paintball Mania Nitro Duck tank from when 4500 was just hitting the market. It was deemed safer than a standard fill nipple, but never caught on.

I believe just around the time of the release of those tanks, an AA tank fill nipple had failed and hurt or killed someone, or it was just hype for their fill nipples.... not sure.

Styg

kdawg
03-11-2004, 09:56 PM
well, looks like a useless piece of metal, just history now.....thanks

Doc Nickel
03-11-2004, 10:28 PM
That's exactly what it is, an old (circa '98) PMS 4500 psi fill nipple.

The point was, back then, that the QDs we've been using for fill nipples were, technically, only rated to something like 3,200 to 3,600 psi. And worse, some that had been rated at about that, were bored out to accept the internal check-valve poppet, making them weaker.

There was some major arguing about the safety of the various fill nipples, with some tourney promoters (like APL) trying to mandate a 4500-psi-rated nipple, and some shops (like PMS) trying to be the one to "corner the market" on the new hopefully-soon-to-be-standard fill nipples.

They supplied all their 4500 tanks with the oddball nipple, but players complained, tourney promoters complained when they couldn't fill players tanks (since they didn't have an adapter) and there was a lot of argument because no one had any actual Compressed Gas Association or DOT specs on what was or wasn't legal.

I don't, unfortunately, know what happened to it all, but obviously we're still using the standard fill nipple, even up to some 5,000 psi tanks.

Now, on that note, does any one have one of those old "hot dog" tanks? Like this one (http://www.docsmachine.com/dangel.jpg)? I've kept my eye out for one, but they seem to have all disappeared.

Doc.

TAW
03-12-2004, 04:00 AM
I'm a heavy equipment mechanic for the Alaska DOT. We use them on our equipment as test ports to check hydraulic pressure.

LudavicoSoldier
03-12-2004, 01:27 PM
I too would love a 68 or 114 ci hotdog bottle. They were SO compy!

nerobro
03-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Well... if you look at what luxfer still sells... those bottles are still in their lineup. keep in mind that PMS also used a 3/4" thread on some of the miniregs.