PDA

View Full Version : I think I should enter my Scooter and go after this Meeelion!

cphilip
03-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Sounds like fun thing to be involved with doesn't it?

http://www.arpa.mil/grandchallenge/

PyRo
03-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Enter your scooter so I can laugh as its crushed by a 2 ton vehicle thats cooler than the scooter :)

Bad_Dog
03-11-2004, 05:12 PM
as its crushed by a 2 ton vehicle ummmmmmmmm I think those are remote controlled vehicles... and I dont think that they're that big...:)

cphilip
03-11-2004, 05:41 PM
They might be... there is no real size issue here. Its just the automation rules. They could be Hummers or could be little golf carts or something.

Here is the main statement in the rules:

1.1 Purpose of Challenge

DARPA is seeking to promote innovative technical approaches that will enable the autonomous operation of unmanned ground combat vehicles. In the future, such combat vehicles will operate over varied terrain without the benefit of road signs, pre-programmed routes, etc. Autonomous vehicles must navigate from point to point in an intelligent manner so as to avoid or accommodate obstacles and other impediments to the completion of their missions. For example, an extremely large vehicle that simply travels on a straight line between two points by climbing over or breaking through everything in its path (and destroying what cannot support that movement) is not the type of intelligent solution that is sought. Vehicles that cannot demonstrate intelligent autonomous behavior will not be accepted as Participants.

-=Squid=-
03-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Ok... when do we get to see some freaking pictures of YOU ON a scooter?! :confused: ;) :mad:

PyRo
03-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Ok... when do we get to see some freaking pictures of YOU ON a scooter?! :confused: ;) :mad:

Yeah yeah :)

impostal22
03-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Bad_Dog
ummmmmmmmm I think those are remote controlled vehicles... and I dont think that they're that big...:)

nope...they're fullsized vehicles...like a humvee, for instance. and they aren't remote controlled, either. they're designed to drive by themselves...hence, the challenge.

cphilip
03-11-2004, 07:39 PM
I think it would be so cool to work on a vehicle for this. I mean it would take a huge team and some real money to do it but really cool stuff

Soon guys.. soon. I working on replacing the motor mounts and back shock mounts on it right now. Been getting a bit squirrely back there lately so I got concerned about it. That rubber is over 25 years old and I got replacements in Urethane on the way now. For now I afraid to ride it out too far or too fast until I am certain those are fixed. Stuff like that can be dangerous so no need to risk it. Already replaced all the shocks, wheel and tires and all so I know its down to the old mounts now.

PyRo
03-11-2004, 08:15 PM
But I just neep picture of you on the scooter so I can make fun of you. Maybie I can make a montage or whatever he called them of you and a scooter :)