PDA

View Full Version : Are your equipment buying decisions seriously affected by what the "pros" use?

GoatBoy
03-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Other than being introduced to a product by seeing a pro player using it, does the fact that a certain pro uses that product, or if he wins or loses with the product, affect your buying decision?

space_weazel_45
03-12-2004, 01:05 AM
NOPE!

wobbles82
03-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Nada. I think a lot of people that are involved very much in the sport tend to forget about what the pros use. Like every other sport the people coming in look to what is the best, or what seems the best. I think Bad Company and Tippmann Effect are some of the greatest advertising teams ever, ive seen Tom Cole sell Flash LCD's at events to kids who see pics of him using an AMG.

Butterfingers
03-12-2004, 01:54 AM
What people buy depends on what the store owner shows him...

I was playing PB today and I got a lot of WOAH what gun is that I told them it was a ULE RTP. And he was like WOW thats fast... (14 YO kid...) How come I never saw that...

He asked another guy with an E-mag what kind of gun that was. And he was like is that new the guy at cousins didnt have it.

Instead he was playing with a new shocker he took out of the box that just happened to be leaking...

Never understimate the importance of a good dealer network. Its like a machine Parents go in... Kids whine... kid comes out with a gun...

When I asked other players why they bought the gun they mentioned that he fired it in the store and realy liked it. Or... the worker at the store recomended it. The more experienced players just told the store worker a general idea of what they wanted and they gave them a reccomendation.

In this case its still a machine... buyer goes in... brain gets programed... buyer walks out...

James
03-12-2004, 02:31 AM
i just ordered a blue ule emag
pros have no influence on me.
pros have changed so much too.
it went from angels and cockers.
to angels, cockers,timmy's,matrix's,impy's
i am sure shockers will be in there quick if not already.

RenagadeOfFunk
03-12-2004, 02:32 AM
Its all about the stores you go to...
...there needs to be a solid website with good paintball stuff...

...I would think paintballgear.com would be...but its needs more custom stuff...and an anno section

...IMO:p

Tyger
03-12-2004, 02:38 AM
No, with an asterisk.

I bought a product once because a pro let me try one out. Brass Eagle's "bubble vision" lenses, specifically. I was familiar with the product at the time, but never actually tried it. Would I have bought the goggles if he wasn't sponsored by them? Can't say, but the fact that he gave me exposure to the product was a factor in my buying them. Not that it was HIM that used it, but that he let me try it for myself.

I don't buy something becasue "Pro A" is shooting or using it. That's meaningless. But if that pro lets me try it out, and I like it, I'll spend the money. Same goes to anyone else who says "Here, try this." Let me get my grubby little paws on it and try it out, or show me PRACTICALLY that the product will work for me, and I'll try it.

-Tyger

ej_y4
03-12-2004, 02:56 AM
most people on AO are not effected by products the pro teams push. Most of use shot mags, enouph said. However I do not believe this is true for the rest of the paintball players out side of AO, take a look at the pbnation forms.

James
03-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by ej_y4
most people on AO are not effected by products the pro teams push. Most of use shot mags, enouph said. However I do not believe this is true for the rest of the paintball players out side of AO, take a look at the pbnation forms.
werd couldnt have said it better.

frenchman309
03-12-2004, 03:12 AM
I definately agree with the people saying the more experienced players don't buy into all the hype of the pros. We have a very active paintball club at my college and I don't think a single member cares which pro is shooting what.

slushee
03-12-2004, 03:17 AM
simple answer .. yes. My decisions are influence by what the pros are using BUT they are more influenced by what I think looks better... even if it does nothing to make the marker/clothes better but costs more.

figured i should share my thoughts cuz i'm the first to click "yes" in the poll :)

edweird
03-12-2004, 03:39 AM
not a bit... simple reason...

If someone paid me to travel and play tourney paintball with friggin brass eagle blade I would... Thus sponsorships fail to draw me to buy anything just cause some "pro" team uses it.

For pants and other gear... I sport what I like and what appears to be the most durable. Watching plenty of Xball and if this team consistantly makes killer slides on gravel wearing companys X pants I will take that into consideration.

Halliday
03-12-2004, 08:47 AM
I look at what the Pros use, but it dosen't affect me. What has the most affect on me is being able to actually touch/use/try-out the product.

Example: I know a very dorky paintball player. He's been using Morph goggles for almost 2 years now. During that time I also saw Pros using them. I had my JT Spectras and was reasonably happy, until I tried on Dork's Morph gogs while reffing. I really liked them and bought my own within a few weeks.

So if I see some "cool" equipment being used I'll note it and evalutate it from afar. If I can get up close and actually use it I can really tell if it's worth my green.

Dryden
03-12-2004, 09:34 AM
No, but I do look at what gear they're using and evaluate it when making purchasing decisions.

Essentially, I'm set with the products/brands that I've used for the past ten years and like: AGD, Viewloader, JT, and *gasp* Smart Parts.

Unless and until a product comes along that is unquestionably better than what I've got now, I'll stick with the brands I know.

I think I've purchased a grand total of three things in the past ten years not made by any of the manufacturers listed above: a J & J ceramic barrel, Vents Predator goggles, and my current Nitro Duck HPA tank.

Creative Mayhem
03-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Ummm no.

I use nothing but AGD products.

To quote Tunaman in SCAO, "It's AGD or nothing for me.." :D

phantomhitman
03-12-2004, 09:47 AM
i have never bought a product just because a pro uses it. i have bought things that more experianced players recomended, let me use, or suggested me try though. i am not going to buy something without either using it or hearing a LOT of good feedback on.

Big'n slo
03-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Umm No...

I've never seen a Pro team or player, couldn't name one.
The only markers I can pick out of a crowd are the mag and pgp, the rest I refer to as spyders.

Quickling
03-12-2004, 10:27 AM
since I'm a pump wielding squirrel... I'm going to have to go with 'No', since I don't see too many pumping pros. ;)

Bolter
03-12-2004, 10:30 AM
I clicked yes. My reasons though do not include AO or myself personally. If you are talking guns, then no. If you are talking packs, rails, goggles, tops, trousers, andf stuff like that, i seriously think that the younger generation are influenced by seeing Pros using this stuff. You could argue that you made the choice due to how it looks, but the fact of the matter is that most paintball stuff looks good in its own bracket, and without the pictures of the Pros in all the magazines using Boomsticks, Flex 7's, having acid wash anno etc I don't think the companies would sell half as much.

When they sponsor a Pro team, they are getting a cheap advert for the price of a couple of barrels.

SirTim
03-12-2004, 12:46 PM
it seems like we have a smart group of people here

James
03-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by SirTim
it seems like we have a smart group of people here we do

lew
03-12-2004, 01:02 PM
The pro's have no effect on my gear choices. Heck, I don't even follow the pros. I do a lot of research into what I am going to buy. If it doesn't perform well, I won't buy it, pros using it or not.

Wc Keep
03-12-2004, 01:37 PM
it doesnt help that my local pro shop is owned by a pro player on the nppl circuit.

no i use what i think is good and my fellow teammates have used.

Bolter
03-12-2004, 03:07 PM
yeah!! What do Pros know anyway? They all use cr@p stuff....

*Proud UK Pro team member using an X-mag on warp*

68magOwner
03-12-2004, 03:31 PM
most people here will probably say no....because no pro teams use mags cuz of sponsors, so why would they use a mag if they cared about the "pro's"?
meh- well, i guess thats where the equipment part comes in :o
anyway- no

joshweinerhead
03-12-2004, 04:06 PM
hella yea .. if a pro uses it and wins that means its good enough for me

lol

Crighton
03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
No. I pay very little attention to the "pro" players. I use whats been proven to work. Not what some company is paying people to use.

Major Ho
03-12-2004, 04:54 PM
I think that once a player gets into the sport/game far enough to realize there is even a Pro league at all let alone the guns they are using then they've probably been around for a fair amount of time.
By that time they have already formed their impressions and decisions of what they think is good and what isnt.
And how many players that dont play competitively actually follow the PSP, NPPL circuits, etc...?

James
03-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by joshweinerhead
hella yea .. if a pro uses it and wins that means its good enough for me

lol
i hope your joking
if not then you then i have nothing nice to say so i'll just shut up on that.
player skill has 99% percent do with winning.

punkncat
03-12-2004, 06:02 PM
doesn't mean Jack Shizzle to me.....

03-12-2004, 06:22 PM
In some way, yes. But I listen more to what Pros speak, not what they use.

Sometimes just asking them "Do you ever had any problems with that?" can be pretty interesting ;)

That's also my favorite question lol

Also taking account that they may be biased, too, I'm asking a lot of pros.

:D

einhander619
03-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Heeeeaaallllz no. Often I try to mimic the exact opposite behavior of pro teams.

Lohman446
03-12-2004, 06:49 PM
NO.. ummm maybe

Ok, I was considering Dye pants... and then I saw the pictures from New Orleans of Pride and guess what I ordered... It was a piece of a decision, but not the only reason for it.

03-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Style wise yes gun wise no.

~WarpedRT#2~
03-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Yeah, right. I'd say roughly 95% of the people on AO DO let the pros influence them, and atleast 50% of the paintball playing community. Look at all the people switching from drops to unimounts, rails, and no drops at all. The pros did it first, so it must be cool. Look at all the people who used to wear a squeegee around their neck hanging from a lanyard. The pros did it. It's cool. Wearing knee/shin guards outside your pants, and even sock hats. The pros did it. Is it still cool? Bending the bottom of a Flex 7 up, switching to a V-Force, then a DYE Invision. Alot of people do let the pros influence them, whether they want to believe it or not.

Not new, but still strong, is the fact that people let the pros tell them what guns to buy. Intimidators are the latest. Whats next- Which way is the wind blowing?

trevorjk
03-12-2004, 10:17 PM
i bought a PGP today ... buying a phantom soon ... yep i buy what the pros use :)

trevorjk
03-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by ~WarpedRT#2~
Yeah, right. I'd say roughly 95% of the people on AO DO let the pros influence them, and atleast 50% of the paintball playing community. Look at all the people switching from drops to unimounts, rails, and no drops at all. The pros did it first, so it must be cool. Look at all the people who used to wear a squeegee around their neck hanging from a lanyard. The pros did it. It's cool. Wearing knee/shin guards outside your pants, and even sock hats. The pros did it. Is it still cool? Bending the bottom of a Flex 7 up, switching to a V-Force, then a DYE Invision. Alot of people do let the pros influence them, whether they want to believe it or not.

Not new, but still strong, is the fact that people let the pros tell them what guns to buy. Intimidators are the latest. Whats next- Which way is the wind blowing?

ive never owned a lanyard or squeegie... i use what ever shoulders the best for me right now a micro drop... ive always wore knee pads *under my pants* and ive always wore ankle things *above my socks* ... whats a sock hat? whats wrong with a baseball cap? intimidators yuck those things have always looked like crap to me so ill never buy one... and i never once bent my flex 7...

Furby
03-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Considering that my current gun is 3 years out of date, I guess not. Kinda fun shooting the kid with the latest and greatest with my 'antique', though.

tyrion2323
03-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Of course I look to others when I consider new purchases. Where else would I get ideas? The reason I purchased an Empire Reloader is because I saw that the Dynasty boys still shot 12Vs on their angels last year - there's no way in heck I'm going to be shooting faster than them.

Did I do it because I wanted to "be like Dynasty?" nah. I did it because it's a tournament-tested product.

I don't mean to say that people should or shouldn't look to the pros - I'm just saying that I made a great decision in that case, because I love my Reloader.

I also think that it has something to do with the celebrity him/herself. There are some pros that I would trust over others. I would trust the rhythm guys over chris lasoya, ya know? I've met the rhythm guys, and they're pretty straight up and cool, so I'd take their advice over someone who's known for bonus balling...

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-13-2004, 01:31 AM
splatmasters, spyders, old school rangers, bazookas...

xmag...

if any pro player uses the following than my answer will have to be yes :(

but as of now, no! i don't go out and buy something just because i saw a guy on tv or a magazine use it. i buy it because it's good or it can be good.

Lord_Whoopass
03-13-2004, 02:28 AM
Personally I am not influenced by pros... I know alot of people who are though... alot of people use Impys, Timmys and O3 shockers locally and there is a lil tribe of angel users up north of me...

lol I have never seen any pro use a SFL Emag or a Viking... which is my main gun and backup gun... so yeah I really dont think I am... Although I do have to say that I was influenced by AGD pride however after seeing how great their emags worked at BFG last year... and personally I think mags are great because of their simplicity...

breg
03-13-2004, 02:54 AM
Let's see, I rock the old school stainless steel twist lock power feed main body on my RT/Pro. Nope I'm not really paying attention to what the pros use. But, if I was paid to use a gun, I'd use it and it would be the best gun in the world.

EDIT: Here is a link to a thread (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1305029#post1305029) that I started a while back about how the high end pro stuff affects me.

PaintballSmurf13
03-13-2004, 10:39 PM
I am somewhat affected by what they use only because what they use must be pretty tough and can take beating and thats the kinda gear I need...but when it comes to guns, NO, NEVER affected, b/c it doesnt matter what gun they shoot, a pro wins b/c of skill, not what he shoots, just look at BC, they shoot spyders, not to dis spyders or anything.
-Ryan F.

03-13-2004, 10:51 PM
My sandana makes me shoot 3 more bps.

logamus
03-13-2004, 11:43 PM
im not really influenced by paid endorsers at all. its like the radio spots for car dealers. the afternoon radio guy pitches joe schmoes chevy dealer for six months, then all of a sudden he is pitching some nissan dealer. ads are good to inform you of the product, but imho its silly to use the pitch persons advice. remeber, this time last year dynasty was telling us all how great angels were.