PDA

View Full Version : 2 issues, magic box smartmag and grey bodytube

slushee
03-12-2004, 01:24 AM
okay .. 1st issue:

I have a classic grey bodytube, classic body rail, gye grip, classic AIR valve with the magicbox mod to increase the air chamber and lvl 10 installed.

The marker gasses up and holds air with no leaks. The marker seems to fire okay with lvl 10, middle spring (I think) and 2 shims ... and I think 2.5 carrier.

When I gently press the trigger .. i mean REALLLY gently, i hear a tiny bit of air leak from down the barrel. The marker still fires okay though.

2nd issue:

I have a grey body tube .. it looks pretty ugly :) What's the best method for removing the grey and polishing the tube??

Thanks in advance!

slushee
03-12-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Branden Minimag
Change the carrier to the next size down until the leak stops.

I thought that issue was something to do with an oring .. but yeah, wth, i'll reduce the size of the carrier and see if that helps.

Joni
03-12-2004, 03:41 AM
Actually, changing the carrier has the same effect as inserting a slightly smaller oring. If installing a smaller carrier doesn't help with the leak, try removing a shim.

I have polished my old grey stainless, so now It's very nice and shiny. Search for threads about polishing the mainbody, I think you will find something.

athomas
03-12-2004, 11:57 AM
When you gently pull the trigger, the shape of the sear can cause the bolt to move forward slightly. If the vent hole is close to the carrier o-ring, then any movement of the bolt towards the front will allow the vent hole to be exposed a bit and result in a slight leak. Removing a shim will solve this problem.

Removing the grey on the body is as easy as sanding with sand paper. The grey is bead blasted stainless steel.

Start with a course grade of sand paper such as 220 grit. After the body is smooth, move to a 600 grit and get rid of any marks left by the 220. Then finish off with a 1500 and possibly a 3000 grit to get a really nice mirror finish. Try to do all sanding with wet paper to make the job easier. After all the sanding is done, polish using a good chrome polish. The results should be a mirror finish.

athomas
03-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Two shims may be perfect on one gun but not on another. there are slight manufacturing differences between guns.

Morally0Confused
03-12-2004, 10:21 PM
get rid of the magic box

slushee
03-13-2004, 02:09 AM
first off .. I removed the shims .. no help
second .. I put in the smallest carrier, 1.5, that the bolt stem would even fit into ... still same leak .. worse even
third .. I press on the bolt and the leak goes away
fourth .. I put on a more ridgid spring, leak dissappeard

Problem now is that the AIR reg is at the point that if I turn the vel. adjuster in any further it vents, and the marker cannot quite fire against the harder spring.

I'm assuming that the increased dump chamber volume decreased the operating pressure in the dump chamber and now I don't have enough pressure built up to fire the marker. What I do need to do now is to replace the Reg Piston for a piston that vents higher .. hopefully that will solve my problem.

If that doesn't work, I will be taking off the mod and using a plug to plug the hole.

*shakes fist at smart parts and their infamous magic box"

btw, thanks for the instructions on sanding the body ...

PyRo
03-13-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Branden Minimag
Grey is classic! Anyways you can sand the grey part off and repaint it with model car paint.

Lay off the crack pipe.
Pay the $20 or so to have thing thing powdercoated :)

Morally0Confused
03-13-2004, 11:08 AM
the magic box was terrible from what ive read. the best after market parts for your mag are made by AGD