PDA

View Full Version : PayPal...the scoop?

MikeCouves
09-25-2001, 02:27 PM
I would like to use PayPal to avoid all that Money Order and extra COD charges and stuff like that. How is it secure? Like what if you send the money to the seller and he never send his package?

Also, does it cost money to use it?

How do I delete the account I made a while ago?

Thanks.

Sqweezer
09-25-2001, 02:33 PM
/me makes sure...yep the paypal faq is at www.paypal.com :)

cphilip
09-25-2001, 02:34 PM
Very safe as it goes. You recieve a Insurance claim ability of up to $250. And Verified accounts indicate they have a credit card to back it up.

The seller pays the fee. The buyer pays nothing unless the seller asks him to or they agree to split it up. It's about $4 on a Hundred. I like it and prefer the service for the insurance and quickness. All well worth the fee I think.

Getting rid of an old one? thats a toughy. I should think if you are setting up a new one it would be easier as long as you are not verifying by using your same credit card. It will not let you do that. Contact their Customer Service about that.

Hasty8
09-25-2001, 04:05 PM
You have to contact Customer Care to close an account. As for the problem with paying and the seller not sending the item you face that dilema with any form of payment.

jas142
09-25-2001, 04:31 PM
While on the subject, what happens when you seel somthing? Does paypal send you a check? Or does it go directly into a bank account, etc.

openboater
09-25-2001, 05:42 PM
I would rate paypal customer sevice as very very poor. I had an old account that I wanted to delete. The only way to contact them is via email. It took 7 days for them to reply to me, and as expected, they didn't answer my question.

I can not find a phone number anywhere to call them.

I'm less than thrilled with them so far.

cphilip
09-26-2001, 06:55 AM
I already told you about the insurance of up to $250. Sure it might take a bit of time to recover but its at least a way to do so. Document everything and print it out just in case you need to do this.

Not able to contact them other than Email? Not true...Under "Contact us" is not only an address but also a toll free number.

Toll Free Phone: (888) 221-1161

I use Pay Pal almost weekly. Never had a problem with any Verified Seller or Buyer or with Pay Pal it self. Except for the fact taht My WIfe and I cannot share the same card number in our two different accounts that is. ONly one card number per account. Even though its a joint account I had to sue another card to set mine up. But no big problem realy.

Geezer
09-26-2001, 08:31 AM
I've used Paypal for a little over a year now and have since added this service to my website. Talk to any one that has tried to setup a merchant account through Visa or Mastercard and they will tell you how much it really costs after paying monthly charges, setup charges, service charges etc. etc... Paypal charges no setup fee and their per transaction fee is the lowest I've seen.

Paypal does offer phone support for customer service. The phone number is available on their site.:)

PsychoMag
09-26-2001, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by jas142
While on the subject, what happens when you seel somthing? Does paypal send you a check? Or does it go directly into a bank account, etc.

I deal with paypal regularly buying and selling stuff...they send you an email asking if you accept the amount of payment, and when it is approved, you go to you accounts page and withdraw it to your bank account, or check. Paypal even has its own debit card to withdraw $$

krafty
09-26-2001, 11:17 AM
I've got the PayPal debit card, which works very nicely. I can spend money that I've earned on Ebay without having to charge it to my regular credit card, hence avoiding the wrath of my "financial advisor". You know, you go on one little shopping spree... :D