PDA

View Full Version : J&J Barrel Quality???

HyperSnyper
09-25-2001, 04:10 PM
Hello All,
I have a question reguarding the quality of J&J Barrels. I recently told my local shop that I shoot a 14" 2 piece J&J Full Tilt Barrel [Dang that name sounds nice when you say it all =)] He gave a quick smile and said that the quality of the barrels are questionable. He reassured me that IF you do get a good barrel, then it will be a good barrel.

He said he called J&J Performance reguarding their manufacturing process, he calims that in their processing, they have large bulk 20 foot lengths of stainless piping being carried by 1 forklift. This will cause the pipe to bend in the midle sections and cause the end product to curve the ball (flatline barrel style). He siad that DYE would never do something like that which may forfeit quality and performance (which is why he sells ALL dye).

Has anyone heard of this? I would assume that most barrel companies would do the same in their manufacturing to cut costs. I also would believe that it wouldnt affect performace that much at all since, even if a bent piece was made, then the center would be rebored and honed to make a straight shot path.

But again online I have read online about J&J's bore to be unconsistent, starting with a 688 then wavering around to even as high as 691. I was thinking of going with the OH SO HYPED Boomstick, but then again, J&J has removable tips.

Let me know all what you think.

J&J.

GOOD or BAD ???

andrew51
09-25-2001, 04:37 PM
well i dont know how true that can be for all there barrels. half of them are ceramic injected with teflon so they wouldnt even use aluminum piping

mikey101
09-25-2001, 04:51 PM
I have the same barrel( 14" jj two piece full tilt) My barrel works fine. and about the different bore sizes, I thought that only occured on their ceramic barrel? oh well. Couldn't be happier with my two piece. Oh, just to let you know, Paintball-online.com is selling different lengh fronts and in different colors! the best part is they're only $15! finally I can get a 12"

krafty
09-25-2001, 05:02 PM
Actually the J&J Ceramic barrels have a core of aluminum.

Prezents
09-25-2001, 05:51 PM
I have 4 for my mag 3 ss and one that is cermaic
I have a brass one for my old F2
and I have a ss for my Traccer.
I have never had any problem with them even when I compared them to the Dye ss and al that I have.
Also consider how long J&J has been around,,,,,,,
Prezentshttp://www.mauisun.org/ubb/smilies/cwm9.gif

magmanpaintball
09-25-2001, 06:28 PM
my lapco never has that problem.

Ranger12
09-25-2001, 07:32 PM
About every aftermarket barrel is line-honed on the inside during manufacturing to achieve a consistant and smooth finish. Any slight imperfections that the original material would have had would no longer be present!

Zumina
09-25-2001, 08:26 PM
From what I've heard as far as the Ceramics are concerned, each tech/production manager at J&J has his (or her?) own signature of sorts. I've seen J&Js with lightening bolts in the middle, ports in a lightening bolt pattern, an aditional part that slopes towards the threads, and a plain jain. I've had 4 J&J ceramics, and they've all been different (including IDs). J&J started by making custom barrels, and I think they're trying to keep the tradition alive with the "no two alike" thought process. By the way, my new 12" J&J 2 peice is the best barrel I have ever owned (yes, I have owned a boomstick).

Scorch
09-25-2001, 09:07 PM
'Mag RT, Angel LCD and now EvoX Cocker

Yesterday my Custom set of four 12" Ceramics came in. :).686,.689, .692, .695 All with reduced porting and engraved with the bore ID.

Exactly the way I ordered them. Perfect in every detail.

I have had Freak sets for the Angel and EvoX, Boomsticks for all of them, CP's for the Mag and Angel.

None shot nearly as well as the Ceramics. I believe in J&J's quality.

Scorch

rythm68
09-25-2001, 09:37 PM
I would defintely recommend J&J barrels. I have used them for years because of the quality of the Barrels. I have tried all kinds for barrels from Taso's to BOA's to DYE. I always come back to J&J. Currently I use a two piece tilt with a set of interchangeable tips that you can buy from J&J for $20ea direct in any color they have. Can't beat that. :D

Fritzy
09-26-2001, 07:52 AM
The only barrel I currently use on my Emag is a 14" J&J Ceramic. It is a .688 or .689 bore. It is definitely my best barrel. I have sold all the others (DYE, SP, CP) with the exception of one large bore Palmer for using Nelson or TC. I highly recommend the J&J.

Drizit
04-26-2004, 12:34 PM
there is an old bm2K that keeps changing hands amoung the people in our group, it's got the "Magic" bushmaster barrel, it's a 14" J&J ceramic, i don't know what they did when they made it, and nether do they for that matter, infact at skyball a few years ago when we asked them about it they offerd to buy the barrel from the owner at the time as they don't have any to study (he said no.) but it's a .689 but will shoot any size paint you put in it we've shot the smalles diablo, and some .692 or larger crap, we even loaded it with BE paint just to see. There has never been a barrel brake, it alwase shoots darts i just don't know what to say. it's the last barrel you will ever need (providing you have a marker with ICD threads) i've also had a 14" ceramic on my M98RT the results wern't quite as good but it was an excelent barrel, nice tight pattern, shot clean after a couple of rounds went though after a brake, sold it for $40 to some kid when i got my flatline, i like the range of the flatline but miss the accuracy of the J&J.

Fixion
04-26-2004, 01:06 PM
I had two J&J Full Tilt barrels (mag and cocker). They both rocked! The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Not only is my J&J back made of stianless steel, the honing and the drilling of the bore would correct any problems caused by bending of the pipe, IF it ever happened.

cphilip
04-26-2004, 01:36 PM
let me guess.... your "guy" doesn't sell J&J barrels right? I am betting money one that one. And I bet whatever he sells is superior in some way right? I betting on that one too... ;)

I got some of them and they just fine. Almost any barrel I ever used from any manufacturer was just fine... with the right paint.

SteveD
04-26-2004, 01:45 PM
The story that your dealer told you is just ridiculous. The barrels are 'gun drilled' from solid stock. They're not made from tubes, bent or straight, so buy the J&J with confidence. They make a great barrel.

Of course if you DO go with DYE you'll never break paint, you'll run faster, jump higher and shoot faster and straighter.
:p

Steve D

cphilip
04-26-2004, 01:49 PM
The story that your dealer told you is just ridiculous. The barrels are 'gun drilled' from solid stock. They're not made from tubes, bent or straight, so buy the J&J with confidence. They make a great barrel.

Of course if you DO go with DYE you'll never break paint, you'll run faster, jump higher and shoot faster and straighter.
:p

Steve D

hehehe....

Well I always tell em the best barrel is the one I just happen to have for sale too... :D

Creative Mayhem
04-26-2004, 04:26 PM
I have a J&J Edge Kit, it is simply THE BEST barrel I have EVER owned. I have had almost everything out there. I know the Edge kit has multiple bore sizes, but the quality is definately higher than almost all of my previous barrels.

I would highly reccommend J&J, and if your funds allow, get yourself the Edge kit. Your shot groupings will thank you ;)

felony
04-26-2004, 04:47 PM
I love my JJ edge as well. Only prob is I shoot midnight and sometimes the paint is WAY TOOO small for my .685 bore.

Other then that it is an awesome barrel set.

Anyone know where I can get a smaller bore, like a .683?

dan

lew
04-26-2004, 05:42 PM
I, too, can vouch for the JJ Edge kits and JJ Barrels in general. The Edge is, hands down, the best barrel kit, and barrel, for that matter, that I've ever used. I've used almost every barrel under the sun. The quality, price, and performance all make the Edge a very worthwhile kit. :)

funkmunky56
04-26-2004, 09:58 PM
J&J Performance spends all their time and money on the INSIDE of the barrel... which is why you can spend $50 on a 14" J&J Ceramic that'll shoot JUST AS GOOD as, if not BETTER than, a $100 barrel from some "pro-styleeeee" paintball company, whose stickers on your equipment will add 20 fps to your velocity, 5 bps to your fingerspeed, and allow you to Superman slide to the 50 off the break without breaking a sweat. :-D

you don't EVER have to worry about a J&J barrel being out of tolerance.

Now, stop diggin' up old-arse threads! --Funk