PDA

View Full Version : MPP Brothers in Arms wrap-up

edweird
03-14-2004, 08:14 PM
First of all as always I look forward to the times I get to travel and play with my fellow AGD zealots. And thus form together as one collective killing machine in the spirit of brotherhood and good times. Nothing will ever ruin a meeting like that no matter what happens with the field, refs, management, or otherwise... that being said the spirit of brotherhood that a "Band of Brothers" themed game was intended to foster succeeded regardless of the multiple tribulations and hardships that the players were forced to endure this weekend. (Mad props to all the Ao’ers I meet out there on both sides and my friends on Evil Inc that invited me out to come some straight up ball at this event right along side them)

By multiple hardships and tribulations I (in the spirit of RedvsBlue) direct you all to my bulleted list of shame.

+ obscene amount of Rule changes
Obviously the promoter and the head ref's were not reading the same scripts when it came to rules of the game. At orientation the promoter (Ben Toricelli) was very unclear and loose with the standing rules of the event. However rules that were made clear by his speech were several times altered by the lead refs and not equally applied to both teams. Rules that follow that line are, gun hits, Tank rider vulnerability, Tank use and availability, Field paint only restrictions... and a couple others I fail to remember at the moment.

+ Air, Air, my kingdom for some friggin Air!
At Orientations we were all informed that a air station was going to be set up on the far side of the property inside the allied campsite for fills. This was true... however there was no CO2 for the entry lvl players on our side and lets just say that the fills from Shatner #1 would of been an improvement. Nah screw it I will spell it out. We basicly had a semi competent kid with 4 bottles of HPA love to serve 250-300 allied players for 24 hours. Within an hour and half the 2 bottles were dead and the kid was trying to do the best that he could with the booster. Sub 2k fills persisted for 4 to 5 hours until I barged my way into the trailer to help the kid out low and behold I found out that the other 2 bottles were not even on and I switched the bottles around. 4.5k fills were back online for about 2 hours(just in time for pre-dinner/night play). Overnight the field failed to exchange the cylinders and when day play was to start back up they were back to filling with the booster (no more than 2.5k) with long downtime to recharge the compressor. At about 11:30 on sunday they started to exchange the cylinders for the first time on our side for the entire event.

+ Event "Paint"
First off all I will state I understand that they had far more walk-ons than anticipated and that Pre-Reg is important due to that.

now that I have that out of the way... the Registration form specifically for the event clearly states "Event paint only: Tournament level paint" $65 per case prepaid $75 per the day of event... Guess what we were sold! Cheap practice "Field/Competition" (as per the Zap website www.zappaintball.com) Tork brand paint. I’m normally pretty cool with Zap's higher end paints such as Chronic and Amp but this stuff was utter crap. First of all it was very swollen and bored at minimum higher than .695. Secondly the Shells were oblong and had a very runny white fill with minor exposure to the elements (stored in the shade under a camper trailer) the balls expanded and turned into soft gelcap. So site some Ao user refrences... Tork was getting stuck and jaming up warp feeds, 90 feed necks, and jamming egg loaders all day long.

Availability of paint was an issue due to the excessive amount of walkon players so more paint orders were made and multiple colors/types of paint showed up on the feild on the middle of the first day. After talking to the promoter about the quality and behavior of the paint he offered to exchange our still bagged cases for some of the paint he had brought in to fill the paint demand. This paint was Nelson Hot Spot (http://www.nelsonpaintball.com/hotspot.html)which is listed on there site as a "Rec Ball" paint and a "Great Practice ball!". To be absolutely frank we found the Hot Spot a far superior product to the Tork and even though it bored out at .682-.685 and was clearly a 2nd's line.

Now that the field paints were covered we noticed that there was some rampant use of non-field paint such as Chronic on the field. tisk tisk

+ Ref's
It was clear that they did not know the promoters set of rules (as fast and loose/from the hip as they were) so in the meantime they enforced the standard recball house rules of the field. (Gun shot's don’t count etc...) Also quite a few of the refs were clearly under 15 years old and about as responsive as a trigger on a classic valved mag. Oh and a class in the proper of use of a handheld crono would of been good as well.

+ Out of bounds? we have no stinkin out of bounds!
If I had a ball of "Tourney level paint" for every time I saw someone walking out of bounds to move to the hill I would of been able to sponsor the AGD scenario team (Evil inc.)I played with all weekend long.

+ Notification, Public Address etc...
Who knows when the game is on? Who knows when the game needs to stop on a saftey? infact who knows anything really?

Ill call it a list here since food is on and I’m famished

To conclude this... It was really nice getting comped into the event due to the fact I am active duty military... but the event itself was not worth the price of admission

BTW what was really important was playing some stand up ball with all of ya... Thanks for the good times.

abaez
03-14-2004, 08:48 PM
I agree, that was awful. I have been to Ben's games before and they were very fun, but this one there was just way too many people. I pre registered and I still had to wait *2* hours in line to get my badge (which took all of 2 minutes).

The field paint rule was broken from the start. I had a team in front waiting in line that had bought about 10 boxes zap chronic for use in the scenario. I was lucky enough to get there after all the white/light blue shell tork paint had run out and had some blue/gold color shell tork that was not too bad. Even so, People were using whatever paint they wanted because they could not control anything with the three different types of scenario paint. This pissed me off because I paid 180$ for 3 boxes of scenario paint while people could bring in their 40$ boxes of chronic and get away with it.

I had two scubas so didn't have to deal with the air situation, but agreed the rule changes were pretty bad. Most ref's didn't even know where the boundary lines were. Today after they had evened the teams (with two hours left in the scenario!) We were advancing toward the german base, and a ref let the other team reinsert from the parking lot! (Which by that time we had already taken over and passed.) They had free shots on the backs of about 15 of our guys and this guy was shooting me laughing say that the ref let him in right from the lot.

There were major changes to the field that did not help at all. There was a huge spot right in between both bases with absolutely no cover at all. Once a team got the hill (which the german team often did) it was nearly impossible to stop them. The new field south? of the allied base surrounded by barbed wire was a mess. I got about a 6 foot piece of barbed wire that was lying on the ground stuck around my leg and cut it all up.

I felt pretty crappy about this event because I had brought my friend for his first scenario and it was a horrible experience for him. I'm sure this event also turned off many other people as well.

Undine56
03-16-2004, 12:10 AM
I went with abaez, and I didn't even make it onto the field. From the start I could tell this was going to be a nightmare. For starters, the parking lot was completely full so I parked out on the street. I walked over and stood in line for about 45 minutes waiting for abaez and another dude to show up. I moved about 2 feet in that time because there was only one line for EVERYONE including those who had pre-registered.

After not moving for close to an hour, an announcement came out over the loud speaker saying that anyone who parked on the street would get their car towed. Seeing as there was no more space in their parking lot, I decided to make a tactical retreat back home and missed out on the event (which probably was a good thing judging by the previous posts). Poorly organized event. *Sigh* maybe next time.

-Undine56

lbonettosd
03-16-2004, 11:08 AM
First off let me start by saying that Edweird "You are our AIR God."

Yes undoubtedly there were a lot of things that went wrong, I mean A LOT . But, with this being the first scenario game I have ever played, I won't dismiss scenario play. The important thing is that after all of the smoke clears and the dust settles its still only a game and that game will be as fun as you make it. I can only look forward to improved, better organized events and I can honestly say that I have never had that much fun losing :).

It was really cool to meet fellow AO'ers and the Evil Inc. crew. Thanks Edweird for fixing the air problem, Cable for showing me all of your toys and answering my "noob" scenario questions, Preacher for helping me out with my on/off valve, Elmo for the kick #$$ tank ride and Burphel for the paint. I look forward to seeing you guys in September. Thanks again.

edweird
03-16-2004, 12:28 PM
may the green mags rule all...

Yeah you brought up a very important point... dont let this ruin scenario play for you. I assure you its far better than what happened last weekend.

Reno for sure... even if I gots to kill someone to get there :P

SN0BL1ND
03-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Hearing this suprises me... I've been to Ben's games and have never seen any of these problems. By all means, try another scenario before you make any decisions to not play another one.

edweird
03-16-2004, 01:59 PM
there were alot of situations that were out of bens control.

like the fact 200 - 250 ppl prereg'd and upwards of 650 showed.

the fact that PMI sold him a paint that was clearly not the level of paint that he thought he was getting.

The fact that the feilds reffing staff was not online with his rules (no matter how from the hip they seem at times)

The fact that the feild did not monitor the air issue on the allied side of the feild, and the fact that the Co2 users were forced to get shot up crossing the 50 yard line of the feild to get fills.

Yeah alot of stuff wasnt Ben's fault but there were steps as a promoter that could of expedited / rectified the situation.

lbonettosd
03-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Probably the BIGGEST mistake of all was made during the pre-game briefing at Noon. Ben should have throughly covered the boundaries of play, the game rules and made sure that everyone understood what or where they were. I for instance had know idea that there was even an "ocean" that wasn't to be crossed. I think with the exception of a couple of missions I ran, I basically just had a blast shooting anyone who was shooting at me or happened to be runnning in the wrong direction. It reminded me of 3rd grade dodge-ball, it was just a free for all (which in itself wasn't too bad). Call me crazy (or stupid) but I'm still heading back to JI in june to see how that one goes. I'm a firm believer in trying anything twice.

Rhinopkc
03-16-2004, 11:48 PM
If you head over to the MPP games forums, you'll see that many of these issues are already being addressed. Zap has been dropped as paint sponsor, Gunny is fixing the air problem, etc... I hope you guys will come out again, This is the first time I've experienced these kinds of problems at one of Ben's games. The one thing that us players can do to make sure these things don't happen is to pre-register. You can bet that if Gunny and Ben had known that there would be such a huge turnout, many of these problems would have never happened.

Aiki
03-17-2004, 09:41 AM
I have been to a quite a few of Ben's games in the past and they all have been pretty good.. If you put on a game that has a MUCH larger then expected crowd it's going to fall apart.. I am sure that Ben will make the changes that are needed to insure that it will run better the next time..

Evil Preacher
03-17-2004, 10:38 AM
It was great to meet the members of AO that came out for this event. Dont let a bad event tarnish your idea of scenario games.

We will be playing just outside of Reno in Sept. and everyone is invited to come and join us there.

I think I am finaly getting used to shooting my E-Mag now. Edweird will vouch for that.

Furby
03-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Just went over and looked at the MPP forums...

Gotta hand it to Gunny...he doesn't screw around. The paint distributor, NOT Zap was dropped and another one is being found, I'm sure.

I was out at Jungle Island covering the "Last Blast West" in december, and my initial impression of Gunny was of someone who knew what he wanted and would do what it takes to get it done. The problems his game experienced this past weekend will not be repeated, I can assure you.

The scenario community in California is a small but extremely enthusiastic one. With leaders like the Psycho Clown Posse, Caltrop Guerillas, Stealth Possum, Saveyourballs.com and the rest out there promoting the sport and just generally having a good time, I think Ben, Bonnie and Gunny will succeed in making Scenario Paintball happen in Cali where others have failed.

In the meantime, head to Bearclaw Paintball in April to experience the Brothers In Arms series there. Bearclaw Bob and Gunny are cut from the same cloth. Plus, Death Inc. will be there! I got a feeling that Captain Lane is going to stuff me in his tank again for another "Embedded Reporter" segment.

capt_lane
03-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Ben always puts on great games! It sounds like the problem was the walk on situation! That's why they encourage prereg this tells the promoter and the feild how many to expect and how many ref's and paint etc........ needed! Big games are no problem for ben or the feild when numbers are pre known!

CAPT. LANE TISON
TEAM DEATH INC.
WWW.DEATHINC.ORG